Reload this Page >

Help on Data Protection Act

Help on Data Protection Act

Old Jul 12th 2002, 5:03 am
Just Joined

SAMMHK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help on Data Protection Act

Hi Everyone,
I am from Bangladesh. I have finished my MSc in BIT from UK and for that I satyed there more than a year. When I came back to my Bangladesh, I applied for Australian Immigration. They asked me for Police Clearnace of UK and set the deadline June 30, 2002 to submit it.
So, I applied to Data Protection Act filling up the form 3019B on April 12, 2002. Metropolitan Police sent me a receipt on May 13, 2002 which I received May 26, 2002 as they use normal postal service. According to the Act I should have received the next reply by June 23, 2002. Unfortunately, I haven't. So, I called them up and they said they are runnning late. So, I had to ask the Austrlian Embassy to grant me one more month. Now it is July 11, 2002, I haven't yet received anything from Data Protection Act.
Can anyone suggest me now what should I do?
I am really in a big trouble. If my immigration procedure is cancelled only for this delay, who should be responsible?! My future plan of life will be in a mess.
Thanks and waiting for helping suggestions.
SAM
Old Jul 12th 2002, 5:46 am
Banned

newstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Help on Data Protection Act

Sam,

I sympathise with your frustration, it must be terrible for you feeling you have done 'your bit' and a distant bureaucracy is thwarting your hopes and dreams.

The UK police checks are running later than 40 days, as recent threads on this board demonstrate, so you are in the same position as many. Two suggestions:

You can check on the progress of your subject access request by telephoning : (UK code) + 20 7230 4143

You can ask for another extension at the Aus Embassy - if you provide the proof, ie the receipt from the Met, they will probably be sympathetic.

I hope you don't have to wait too much longer.

All the best
Old Jul 12th 2002, 11:19 am
Just Joined

thanx,
i really appreciate your reply.
i did call at that number and most of the time i have to listen to endless links of recorded messeges. only once i could go thourhg (dont know how) and they said they are running late.
this is really frustrating- at this age of advanced IT facilities we have to wait so long just for a 'name' check!!!
well, i am not sure if aussie embassy would allow me more time. if only the met police could be specific about the date it would have been a lil bit more undestandable.
thanx again
sam
Old Jul 12th 2002, 11:42 am
Banned

newstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the rough

Sam, another idea. Why not go and speak to the British High Commission?

Country of Embassy:
United Kingdom
Embassy: British High Commission
Address: United Nations Road,
Baridhara
Town/City: Dhaka
Postal Code: 1212
Telephone: + (880) (2) 882705 (5 lines)

Fax: + (880 2) 8823437 (Chancery/Management)
+ (880 2) 8823666 (Immigration)
+ (880 2) 9882819 (Immigration)
E-mail: [email protected]
WWW Site (If Available): http://www.ukinbangladesh.org/

In my experience, the UK Consulate/ High Commission personnel are normally extremely helpful provided you approach them in a friendly non-complaining way. Their mission abroad is to promote UK interests and present the UK in a good light. They will usually bend over backwards to assist - and things can definitely be speeded up with the Met, someone posted here just a couple of days ago about how the 40 day target was exceeded and he got his local police force to intervene and got his police check back 2 days later. If you approach the High Commission people in the right way, (eg friendly approach, give them the contact information, your details and reasons why further delay might prejudice your visa application - forget all that stuff you wrote about punishing the responsible one) I'm sure the staff there will get the Met to airmail you your police check pronto.

By the way, how's the weather in Bangladesh today?!!

All the best
Old Jul 12th 2002, 4:20 pm
Rob

In <[email protected]> SAMMHK wrote:

> According to the Act I should have received the next reply by June 23, 2002.
    > Unfortunately, I haven't. So, I called them up and they said they are
    > runnning late.

Mine arrived today. It took 49 days.

Old Jul 12th 2002, 5:34 pm
Just Joined

thanx guys,
newstartnz: i did call biriths high commission even before i applied to the document, but they said they have nothing to do about it.
i called MET today. while applying, i authorized my relative in london to receive the reply, because i thought it might speed up the communication as NIS use normal postal service. guess what MET told me today, they said they posted the reply on 27 May, 2002. but my relative in London never received anything. i dont know what is going on and if i will ever receive anything!
thanx anyway,
i have posted a mail to the consular today.
weather over here was rainy last couple of days, but pretty warm today.
sam
Old Jul 12th 2002, 6:03 pm
Banned

Sam,

I don't want to worry you, but get worried! Now!

The Met posted the subject access report on 27 May, your relative did not receive it. Today, it's about 6 weeks later. It is not unknown for mail to go astray in the UK, especially at shared addresses because often tenants steal their co-tenants' mail hoping to find a Giro cheque.

Have you asked the Met to re-issue the police check? Do it ASAP. And ask for airmail to you direct.

All the best
Old Jul 12th 2002, 6:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

sophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nice

Hi there

I found this in a thread complaining about the length of time police checks back...it might be worth doing?

"I have just had the same problem with getting the Subject Access document from the National Identification Service (applied via the Met Police).

It's worth knowing your rights - by law in terms of the data protection act they are obligated to provide the answer within 40 days - I waited the 40 days and then called and was given the run-around.

I the end I called Scotland Yard and asked to speak to their Data Protection Office and told him I was going to lodge a complaint with the Government's Data Protection Register that they are breaking the law. I also faxed a letter saying the same thing to the Met Police and the NIS - needless to say I had my letter in the mail THE VERY NEXT DAY and even a phone call from the Met Police to ask if everything was to my satisfaction !!!"
Old Jul 12th 2002, 10:03 pm
Hot and sweaty member!!

yvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi sophia,

i didnt know you were so forceful?????

Well i suppose when youre a bit desperate!!!!!
Old Jul 13th 2002, 3:45 am
Just Joined

thanx sophia for your comment. but unfortunately, being in bangladesh, i guess i cant do much about it, moreover, they said they have send me the paper once on 27 May 2002 to my relative's address in London, but till today she hasn't received anything. now they will send a duplicate. but what if this one gets missing. how can a post get missing in a country like England. if it were in Bangladesh, i would have believed it.
well, i dont know what should i do.
thanx anyway
sam
Old Jul 20th 2002, 5:18 pm
Just Joined

finally i have got it - after 3 and half months of my application. i dont know if there is any monitoring system for this.
thanx everyone for your suggestions. one more thing to speed up the total mailing process- i asked NIS to send it to my relative at London. in the letter, they have written that address under my as, instead of the one of Bangladesh which i used in the form 3019B. will it be any problem?
thanx