Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Help - CV/Resume advice please

Wikiposts

Help - CV/Resume advice please

Old Nov 22nd 2004, 10:47 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Help - CV/Resume advice please

I have done a search and read up on all the advice given to writing a CV for Aus but still have a query. I am trying to put a CV together whilst here so I can check things with various people but...

I haven't worked full time, properly, ie paid tax (Shhhhhh) since having my girls - eldest is now 12.

Is it worth putting company addresses and contacts in. A couple of the firms are no longer in business (nothing to do with me, honest ) so can't for them, but others... Can't believe anyone at a couple of places would remember me after 14+ years or have any info on file. I no longer have any references from any of them.

Should I just make it general. Give the name of the company and address and just say what I did?

Don't know what I want to do when I get to Aus. Even if we weren't going, I would now be thinking of going back to work but no idea what? Lots of ideas, but....
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 8:45 am
Dismembered Bat

ProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to all
Default Re: Help - CV/Resume advice please

Originally Posted by moneypen20
I have done a search and read up on all the advice given to writing a CV for Aus but still have a query. I am trying to put a CV together whilst here so I can check things with various people but...

I haven't worked full time, properly, ie paid tax (Shhhhhh) since having my girls - eldest is now 12.

Is it worth putting company addresses and contacts in. A couple of the firms are no longer in business (nothing to do with me, honest ) so can't for them, but others... Can't believe anyone at a couple of places would remember me after 14+ years or have any info on file. I no longer have any references from any of them.

Should I just make it general. Give the name of the company and address and just say what I did?

Don't know what I want to do when I get to Aus. Even if we weren't going, I would now be thinking of going back to work but no idea what? Lots of ideas, but....
Hi Moneypen,

My advice would be to keep your CV succinct (short and to the point) and don't bother to put old referrees in it, especially if they're from so long ago. Is there someone who could give you a current reference, even a character ref? If so, don't include it, but keep it handy in case it's asked for.

Yes, make it general, give the employer's name and address, and outline your duties there (dot points are good). Prospective employers and/or agencies can always ask for more information.

As someone who has combed through applications in the past, I know that prospective employers don't like to have to wade through too much information. That's the reason for my advice anyway! Hope it helps!!

PR
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 4:02 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

I'd put referees available upon request...
They probably won't ask for those old ones anyway.
And if they do, then you can just give them and explain the situation to them.

Good luck
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 4:22 pm
Coogee Rocks

I'd call it a Resume rather then a CV at the top.

I've notivced the term 'CV' is not often used in Aus.

Get written references before you go if I where you.
Even a personal one would help.

Put company name, job title and main duites, achivements.

Old Nov 23rd 2004, 8:45 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys.

Had to check some addresses through the Companies House web site and discovered that all (4) companies I worked for have either gone into liquidation or disappeared off the face of the earth. Hope it wasn't me . I will cobble something together and then just overwhelm Aus firms with my fantastic personality
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 8:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond repute

hi moneypen,

definitely keep it simple, listing previous experience etc and bring it up to date. you dont need contacts for previous employers that span back years.
you will need to include about 3 checkable referees, i.e your last employer, the line manager and someone who can do a character ref.
dont worry, if you have the info on your pc ( microsoft word) it makes it really easy to do and pretty much tells you what to put in etc.

by the way, cheers for replying to my daughter jade, shes over the moon at all her replies!

cheers

Trish
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 9:17 pm
Confused member

SunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud of

Had to check some addresses through the Companies House web site and discovered that all (4) companies I worked for have either gone into liquidation or disappeared off the face of the earth. Hope it wasn't me .
They won't have disappeared. If they don't appear as in liquidation or receivership etc then the likely answer is they've changed the company name to something else.

You can check past names on the same website.

If you need any help, please PM me.