Reload this Page >

Help! Confused....

Help! Confused....

Old Jan 9th 2007, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

lovedaysnj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help! Confused....

New to all this....

Me, my husband and our 19 month old son have decided to look into moving out to Australia. I have family there (Uncle & Aunt) who have lived there for 20+ years. They have said they are happy to sponsor us....

I've been looking on the immi.gov.au site, and into the types of visas. My husband is a paramedic here in the UK but he doesn't think he wants to carry on that career out there (the job description seems very different and pay not as good). I found this visa called 'Skilled - Designated Area Sponsored (Provisional) visa (subclass 496)' which says its for someone who doesn't meet the highly skilled visa req's/independent migrant req's, but has family who are willing to sponsor (Uncle has also said that he is happy to help my husband get a job, he works on a mine site and said that my husband could get a driving job or something similar). This 'Skilled Designated Area...' visa then goes on to say that you must have an occupation on the Skilled Occupation List.

I'm confused - it says that its for people who don't meet the highly skilled req's but then goes on to list a job that you must have, even if you have family willing to sponsor you. How can my husband get a job through my uncle if, before we apply, he has to have a job thats on the list? Would he have to apply for & get the job before we apply? Would he have to do the paramedic-equivalent job for a while just to get us out there (and is paramedic even on the 'list'??)

Can anyone help? A nice little summary? We'd be really grateful
Old Jan 10th 2007, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: Help! Confused....

Can anyone offer any advice?
Old Jan 10th 2007, 11:06 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lovedaysnj
Can anyone offer any advice?
Have you tried posting on the Immigration Forum, where the people who will definately know can see? Has your OH had any experience driving mining vehicles? He would have to undertake training courses to get his operators licences from Australia. I doubt that driving would be considered a "skilled occupation in demand".

Last edited by The Bloke; Jan 10th 2007 at 11:12 am.
Old Jan 10th 2007, 11:52 am
Forum Regular

LittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really nice

I think he can apply for a visa under his skill (paramedic) it doesnt mean that when he gets there he will have to pursue a job in that field.

But as suggested, i would get your question over to the Visa & Immigration section.
Old Jan 10th 2007, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

I thought this was the place for visa/immigration queries? I have already posted by mistake in the Barbie forum!

Well, I have spent the morning on the internet and am a bit clearer...I think my husband may be able to apply for a job with the Queensland Ambulance Service, which seems better for him than the St Johns Western Australia service. That way (I think) we could apply for the Skilled Australian Sponsored visa (subclass 138) - one more query though - it mentions a sponsor (which we have) but doesn't say if you have to be living in the same state as your sponsor (which you have to for the Designated Area Sponsored visa.
Old Jan 10th 2007, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

LittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really nice

I thought this was the place for visa/immigration queries? I have already posted by mistake in the Barbie forum!

Well, I have spent the morning on the internet and am a bit clearer...I think my husband may be able to apply for a job with the Queensland Ambulance Service, which seems better for him than the St Johns Western Australia service. That way (I think) we could apply for the Skilled Australian Sponsored visa (subclass 138) - one more query though - it mentions a sponsor (which we have) but doesn't say if you have to be living in the same state as your sponsor (which you have to for the Designated Area Sponsored visa.
the forum is here http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32 (just down the list a bit).
Old Jan 10th 2007, 1:56 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

That way (I think) we could apply for the Skilled Australian Sponsored visa (subclass 138) - one more query though - it mentions a sponsor (which we have) but doesn't say if you have to be living in the same state as your sponsor (which you have to for the Designated Area Sponsored visa.
Why are you so fixated on getting "sponsored"? Have you read Booklet 6 from the DIMA website and done a "points test"? You may find that you have enough points for the Independent Skilled Visa (136). With that you can live anywhere in Australia. And although you use your husband's paramedic qualification to apply for the visa, he doesn't have to work as a paramedic once you get there. He can do any job he likes.

You may want to speak to one of the immigration agents as well. We used "Go Matilda" (see: http://www.gomatilda.com).

Gina
Old Jan 10th 2007, 2:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by GinaUK
Why are you so fixated on getting "sponsored"? Have you read Booklet 6 from the DIMA website and done a "points test"? You may find that you have enough points for the Independent Skilled Visa (136). With that you can live anywhere in Australia. And although you use your husband's paramedic qualification to apply for the visa, he doesn't have to work as a paramedic once you get there. He can do any job he likes.

You may want to speak to one of the immigration agents as well. We used "Go Matilda" (see: http://www.gomatilda.com).

Gina
We don't have enough points for the Independent Skilled Visa, however, having spent the morning on the internet I think we will qualify for the Skilled Australian Sponsored Visa (138), we have looked at a different states' Ambulance Service which seems better for my husband, and with this visa we don't have to live in the same state as our sponsor.
Old Jan 11th 2007, 1:12 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

We don't have enough points for the Independent Skilled Visa, however, having spent the morning on the internet I think we will qualify for the Skilled Australian Sponsored Visa (138), we have looked at a different states' Ambulance Service which seems better for my husband, and with this visa we don't have to live in the same state as our sponsor.
Remember you need a skill assessment to get points for skill. And you need equivalent of an Australian bachelors degree to get an assessment in a 50 point occupation - it's not that easy to get to the pass mark for 138 with a 40 point nominated occupation.

You should ask the question on the Immigration forum if you want more replies.
Old Jan 11th 2007, 11:07 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
Remember you need a skill assessment to get points for skill. And you need equivalent of an Australian bachelors degree to get an assessment in a 50 point occupation - it's not that easy to get to the pass mark for 138 with a 40 point nominated occupation.

You should ask the question on the Immigration forum if you want more replies.
Thanks JAJ - I have found the correct forum to ask in, and have got a bit more information from that