Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

HELP computer experts

HELP computer experts

Old Nov 18th 2004, 10:42 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default HELP computer experts

Can someone tell me what is going on with my PC. Every now and then, only when on BE, I get the following message come up:

"Netscape Quality Feedback Agent

This is a feature that gathers pre defined technical information about Communicator and sends it back to Netscape to see if we can improve Communicator " and then tells me to run this wizard.

Immediately on top of that I get the notice that the computer has performed an illegal operation and will shut down.

I have a fully up and running firewall and anti virus programme, which doesn't show anything. I have searched the PC for anything to do with Netscape or Communicator and it comes back nothing found.

Starting to drive me mad, if only because I am generally half way through reading a fascinating thread and get thrown out.

Anyone got any ideas
Old Nov 18th 2004, 10:46 am
Hot and sweaty member!!

yvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HELP computer experts

clever clogs son says............

which browser are you using....internet explorer or netscape?
Old Nov 18th 2004, 10:55 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yvsie
clever clogs son says............

which browser are you using....internet explorer or netscape?

Please tell clever clogs that it used to be internet explorer but is now Mozilla Firefox!
Old Nov 18th 2004, 10:59 am
A Bored of waiting member

stephenwhite68 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Please tell clever clogs that it used to be internet explorer but is now Mozilla Firefox!
i use mozilla and have never had that problem ...

go and download something called Ad-aware and run that ..
it will then see if you have had anything sneakily installed by a webpage and allow you to delete

might help
Old Nov 18th 2004, 11:06 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by stephenwhite68

it will then see if you have had anything sneakily installed by a webpage and allow you to delete

might help

Will give it a go, thanks
Old Nov 18th 2004, 11:26 am
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

Can someone tell me what is going on with my PC. Every now and then, only when on BE, I get the following message come up:

This is a feature that gathers pre defined technical information about Communicator and sends it back to Netscape to see if we can improve Communicator " and then tells me to run this wizard.

Immediately on top of that I get the notice that the computer has performed an illegal operation and will shut down.

I have a fully up and running firewall and anti virus programme, which doesn't show anything. I have searched the PC for anything to do with Netscape or Communicator and it comes back nothing found.

Starting to drive me mad, if only because I am generally half way through reading a fascinating thread and get thrown out.

Anyone got any ideas
"Feedback Agent" ... you've got to love the phrasing ... what it actually means is that the Firefox has crashed in a heap. Newly released software, you gotta love it.

You are now officially part of the Firefox beta testing team

"Improve Communicator" for humans means 'get all the bugs out and make it work'.

If you've got any error numbers or more information then I'd be happy to do a bit of investigation to see what could be wrong.

In the meantime make sure you are running the latest version of FireFox and clear your temporary internet files (not sure how you do that in FireFox, I run Netscape Navigator).

Maybe the "upgrade" from IE went wrong at some point?

Good Luck!
Old Nov 18th 2004, 12:05 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by Deadmeat
"Feedback Agent" ... you've got to love the phrasing ... what it actually means is that the Firefox has crashed in a heap. Newly released software, you gotta love it.

You are now officially part of the Firefox beta testing team

"Improve Communicator" for humans means 'get all the bugs out and make it work'.

If you've got any error numbers or more information then I'd be happy to do a bit of investigation to see what could be wrong.

In the meantime make sure you are running the latest version of FireFox and clear your temporary internet files (not sure how you do that in FireFox, I run Netscape Navigator).

Maybe the "upgrade" from IE went wrong at some point?

Good Luck!

Thanks Dead, I think as you have time on your hands, any time you are passing Herts, feel free to pop in and sort the piggin machine out for me
Old Nov 18th 2004, 12:11 pm
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

Thanks Dead, I think as you have time on your hands, any time you are passing Herts, feel free to pop in and sort the piggin machine out for me
Thank God for Windows, it means people like me will always have a job

Seriously though, can you run other browsers OK? Have you still got Internet Explorer on there?

I guess you could also download Netscape Navigator and try that ... that _may_ run alongside Firefox.

Bob's yer man for Firefox though, he'll probably be able to help a bit more.

I may download it later but this system is like a finely balanced pack of cards at the moment
Old Nov 18th 2004, 12:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone got any ideas
I run both IE and Firefox without problems (XP setup).

I suggest you do the following : it's the long-winded but safest way.

1. Uninstall Firefox.

2. Restart your computer.

3. Install Firefox again (make sure it is the latest version, 1.0), BUT instead of choosing the default set-up, choose Custom and disable the feedback agent.

4. Finish install

5. Enjoy!

Overall I much prefer Firefox to IE - i) it's faster to load; ii) it has tabbing and iii) virus writers like to concentrate on IE.
Old Nov 18th 2004, 1:09 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeStanton
I run both IE and Firefox without problems (XP setup).

I suggest you do the following : it's the long-winded but safest way.

1. Uninstall Firefox.

2. Restart your computer.

3. Install Firefox again (make sure it is the latest version, 1.0), BUT instead of choosing the default set-up, choose Custom and disable the feedback agent.

4. Finish install

5. Enjoy!

Overall I much prefer Firefox to IE - i) it's faster to load; ii) it has tabbing and iii) virus writers like to concentrate on IE.

make sure you install firefox 1.0, just released.

Also, delete your existing profile http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/profile and create a new one. It will ask you to create one when you start Firefox. Apparently, a corrupt profile is responsible for most problems so I was told on the mozilla forums.
Old Nov 18th 2004, 1:23 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by ebo1608
make sure you install firefox 1.0, just released.

Also, delete your existing profile http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/profile and create a new one. It will ask you to create one when you start Firefox. Apparently, a corrupt profile is responsible for most problems so I was told on the mozilla forums.
Thanks all. Will give it a go. Better wait until after the school run or I may have two stroppy kids still waiting outside schools at 6pm
Old Nov 18th 2004, 11:54 pm
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by stephenwhite68

might help
I read this thread and thought, ok I will download firefox and see if I have less problems, since lastnight, all my passwords have wooshed off somewhere, I just about managed to pull the plug when I saw my ebay password flash past as files sent at the bottom, I then decided to give it another go this morning, now consider hubby just virus scanned before i came on, and guess what, it through a trojan at me, I've just removed the whole thing.
Has to be something to do with me putting it on my system, but pure hell.
Jenny
Old Nov 19th 2004, 12:08 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Firefox is good, just a tad weird when you upgrade it, you don't need to delete the profile as such, but back it up by copying it, and when you install, if it goes tits-up, you can use profile manager to create a new one, and then copy the bookmark and extentions over, but it might be best to install extentions a fresh as a lot of them have been updated to the new proper release of FF.

To get the profil manager, in the shortcut, have this in the destination line:
"D:\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -ProfileManager

Obviously change the location to where you've installed it tho
Old Nov 19th 2004, 12:11 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

As for extentions, as well as the normal home place, here's another great site to get them from, also updated more regularily.

http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index...=portal&site=5