Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Help - changi transit hotel full - any other options???

Help - changi transit hotel full - any other options???

Old Mar 16th 2007, 2:44 am
Forum Regular

liverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to all
Unhappy Help - changi transit hotel full - any other options???

I have just called the transit hotel to book a day room and was told that they are full on that day. We have 11 hours at the airport and could really do with somewhere to sleep. I have tried searching on the net for a hotel very close the airport that we could maybe go to but can't seem to find one. Does anyone have any ideas - I really don't fancy wondering round the airport absolutely knackered from the flight no matter how much there is to do there.
Thanks.
Old Mar 16th 2007, 3:09 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Help - changi transit hotel full - any other options???

Originally Posted by liverpool girl
I have just called the transit hotel to book a day room and was told that they are full on that day. We have 11 hours at the airport and could really do with somewhere to sleep. I have tried searching on the net for a hotel very close the airport that we could maybe go to but can't seem to find one. Does anyone have any ideas - I really don't fancy wondering round the airport absolutely knackered from the flight no matter how much there is to do there.
Thanks.
I used to live in Singapore and just a 10 minute taxi ride away from the airport is the former 'Le Meridien' hotel in Changi village, directly across the street from the little fishing harbour:

http://www.changivillage.com.sg/ (might be worth contacting them and asking if they can offer a 'transit room rate' if you'll only be there for a few hours).

Location of hotel in relation to the airport:

http://www.changivillage.com.sg/inde...DAC935904B8052

It's far less of a trek than going into the 'city' which is at least 30 mins away outside peak 'rush hours'.

If you're up to it you can walk across to the little harbour and pay a couple of dollars for a 10 minute 'bum boat' ride to one of the little islands, Pulau Ubin. Here you can take a short stroll in the old fishing village where you will find chickens wandering about, abandoned taxis rusting away(!) and some coffee shops where you can get snacks. The main appeal is that you can rent pushbikes and cycle around the small island; it's a slice of the old Malaya and very rustic and 'back to nature'......we loved going there on the occasional Sunday afternoon.

Also you can just visit the local Changi Sailing Club for a meal (diners don't need to be members) or drinks and it's a pleasant way to spend a couple of hours in the fresh air and it has a nice view across the strait to Pulau Ubin.

Hope this helps!
Old Mar 16th 2007, 7:21 am
Forum Regular

BullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud of
Default Re: Help - changi transit hotel full - any other options???

Originally Posted by liverpool girl
Thanks.
G'day

Leaving the airport is something I would advise against you doing. Potentially the time taken to collect all your bagage, go through customs, go to hotel, sleep for a few hours, back to airport, full check in again (3 hrs before flight) is just not worth the effort. You can not exit at Singapore if your baggage is checked all the way through, or more specifically you can not check your bagage all the way, if you plan on exiting at Singapore. You will probably also loose your double baggage allowance.

Just wander around the airport a while, shop, go to one of the lounges and sleep or doze, go to the transit hotel and see if there's any no shows, even if there is no room you can still hire a shower with towel and toiletries for less than a fiver. It's amazing how refreshing it is to have a good shower when you're travelling. Take a change of clothes in your hand luggage or just buy new clean clothes at the airport.

Cheers
Bob in Bull Creek
Old Mar 16th 2007, 10:49 am
Forum Regular

liverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I used to live in Singapore and just a 10 minute taxi ride away from the airport is the former 'Le Meridien' hotel in Changi village, directly across the street from the little fishing harbour:

http://www.changivillage.com.sg/ (might be worth contacting them and asking if they can offer a 'transit room rate' if you'll only be there for a few hours).

Location of hotel in relation to the airport:

http://www.changivillage.com.sg/inde...DAC935904B8052

It's far less of a trek than going into the 'city' which is at least 30 mins away outside peak 'rush hours'.

If you're up to it you can walk across to the little harbour and pay a couple of dollars for a 10 minute 'bum boat' ride to one of the little islands, Pulau Ubin. Here you can take a short stroll in the old fishing village where you will find chickens wandering about, abandoned taxis rusting away(!) and some coffee shops where you can get snacks. The main appeal is that you can rent pushbikes and cycle around the small island; it's a slice of the old Malaya and very rustic and 'back to nature'......we loved going there on the occasional Sunday afternoon.

Also you can just visit the local Changi Sailing Club for a meal (diners don't need to be members) or drinks and it's a pleasant way to spend a couple of hours in the fresh air and it has a nice view across the strait to Pulau Ubin.

Hope this helps!
Thanks for this. I have just phoned them and I cannot get a day rate so will have to pay for the whole night. Not sure what we will do yet. i need to call Singapore Airlines and see whether we are allowed to leave the terminal if our baggage is checked all the way through. Thanks very much for your help though.
Old Mar 16th 2007, 11:02 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BullcreekBob
G'day

Leaving the airport is something I would advise against you doing. Potentially the time taken to collect all your bagage, go through customs, go to hotel, sleep for a few hours, back to airport, full check in again (3 hrs before flight) is just not worth the effort. You can not exit at Singapore if your baggage is checked all the way through, or more specifically you can not check your bagage all the way, if you plan on exiting at Singapore. You will probably also loose your double baggage allowance.

Just wander around the airport a while, shop, go to one of the lounges and sleep or doze, go to the transit hotel and see if there's any no shows, even if there is no room you can still hire a shower with towel and toiletries for less than a fiver. It's amazing how refreshing it is to have a good shower when you're travelling. Take a change of clothes in your hand luggage or just buy new clean clothes at the airport.

Cheers
Bob in Bull Creek
But since its transit chances are the bags will have already been checked through and the onward ticketing already done and boarding passes issued which leaves nothing but security to go through. I'd tend to agree though that I probably wouldnt leave the airport.

You might want to check both terminals though for hotel availbility and not just your own if you havnt done that yet.

However, if staying at the airport and no hotel consider the use of the Plaza Premium Lounge over the airport lounges. Its more comfortable although you pay for it and whilst not a first class lounge its still better than being with the masses and you can get some rest.

PS - Also you might want to phone Singapore and try it on with them saying that the transit hotels are full, blah blah can they suggest something - like the business class lounge ??? its very nice at Changi and I have spent several hours there on more than a few occassions.
Old Mar 17th 2007, 11:31 am
BE Forum Addict

YoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond repute

I always pay to go into the transit lounge and sleep there for a few hours....

it's quiet, there are showers, there's free nibbles and drinks... and the seats are comfy!!

was $35sgd the last time I was there.....