Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

help which camper trailer ?????

help which camper trailer ?????

Old Mar 4th 2010, 2:03 pm
Forum Regular

bex 66 is just really nicebex 66 is just really nicebex 66 is just really nicebex 66 is just really nicebex 66 is just really nicebex 66 is just really nicebex 66 is just really nicebex 66 is just really nicebex 66 is just really nice
Default help which camper trailer ?????

Hi,

Looking for some advice.... currently researching the mine field of camper trailers, and there is nothing like personal experience / recommendations.

We, (Family of 4 and a dog) have a budget of about $15000 give or take,
We don't want to go through the middle of Australia so heavy duty off road not essential,
Our main requirement is that it has to be light weight, our car only has a towing capacity of 600kg, which i know now is not a great deal in camper trailer terms.

Would love to hear any recommendations or opinions people have.

Cheers
Bex
Old Mar 4th 2010, 2:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

shears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: help which camper trailer ?????

Originally Posted by bex 66
Hi,

Looking for some advice.... currently researching the mine field of camper trailers, and there is nothing like personal experience / recommendations.

We don't want to go through the middle of Australia so heavy duty off road not essential,
Our main requirement is that it has to be light weight, our car only has a towing capacity of 600kg, which i know now is not a great deal in camper trailer terms.

Cheers
Bex
http://forum.camping.com.au/index.phphave a look on here for starters - there's a section on trailers
Old Mar 4th 2010, 7:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Camper trailers appear too much hassle to me.

All the problems of putting up a tent, but without the confort of a caravan.

Seriously last weekend I watched one guy take over an hour to pack his all away. Can't imaginge doing a touring trip where you had to do that every evening and morning before you could set off. OK I guess if you want to sit in one spot for two weeks, but then I guess the point is you want to see something of Australia.

Much prefer our camper van...Pull the pop top down and drive off. May be not so good for 4 though in the Hiace we've got, but still the point is made.
Old Mar 5th 2010, 2:15 am
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger
Camper trailers appear too much hassle to me.

All the problems of putting up a tent, but without the confort of a caravan.

Seriously last weekend I watched one guy take over an hour to pack his all away. Can't imaginge doing a touring trip where you had to do that every evening and morning before you could set off. OK I guess if you want to sit in one spot for two weeks, but then I guess the point is you want to see something of Australia.

Much prefer our camper van...Pull the pop top down and drive off. May be not so good for 4 though in the Hiace we've got, but still the point is made.

We have a Jayco Eagle Outback camper trailer and whilst it is fantastic it is a bit of a pain to put away. I wouldn't dream of doing a long multi stop trip in one, far too much hassle.

We tend to use ours from say a Friday afternoon to a Sunday morning and for this short amount of time don't really bother setting all the annexe etc up. Last year we spent a week on the Murray and I think it took about an hour to set up and about 2 hours to put away.
Old Mar 5th 2010, 3:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jond
We have a Jayco Eagle Outback camper trailer and whilst it is fantastic it is a bit of a pain to put away. I wouldn't dream of doing a long multi stop trip in one, far too much hassle.

We tend to use ours from say a Friday afternoon to a Sunday morning and for this short amount of time don't really bother setting all the annexe etc up. Last year we spent a week on the Murray and I think it took about an hour to set up and about 2 hours to put away.
That's my point. This Christmas we did Sydney to Warrawonga, Echuca and then the Victoria Goldfields Route taking in a diversion to the Gampians to the west. 2,900 kms and a different stop every night. It was 36C some mornings by 10AM..imagine puting the camper trailer down in that 10 mornings on the run.
Old Mar 5th 2010, 6:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger
That's my point. This Christmas we did Sydney to Warrawonga, Echuca and then the Victoria Goldfields Route taking in a diversion to the Gampians to the west. 2,900 kms and a different stop every night. It was 36C some mornings by 10AM..imagine puting the camper trailer down in that 10 mornings on the run.
Aussies I know seem to suggest the following...... Use a very easy to put up tent for storage and cooking and lounging purposes....Use your car preferably a station wagon for sleeping, which is always set up with a mattress in the back. The goods that you need are stored in those large plastic containers with wheels 4 or 5 is sufficient ..... Staying in Cabins is the way to go when doing the long daytime drives.... having a spare larger tent is good for staying somewhere cheaply for a long period. One of the best tips, was the old esky, which you replenish with around 6 x 1 litre water bottles frozen in the over night cabins freezer which cools and also supplies fresh water along the way.

I know of three different Aussie born and breds that do the long trips in this manner.

Best for couples this method.
Old Mar 5th 2010, 6:26 am
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Aussies I know seem to suggest the following...... Use a very easy to put up tent for storage and cooking and lounging purposes....Use your car preferably a station wagon for sleeping, which is always set up with a mattress in the back. The goods that you need are stored in those large plastic containers with wheels 4 or 5 is sufficient ..... Staying in Cabins is the way to go when doing the long daytime drives.... having a spare larger tent is good for staying somewhere cheaply for a long period. One of the best tips, was the old esky, which you replenish with around 6 x 1 litre water bottles frozen in the over night cabins freezer which cools and also supplies fresh water along the way.

I know of three different Aussie born and breds that do the long trips in this manner.

Best for couples this method.

Bit too bogan for me I am afraid
Old Mar 5th 2010, 6:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jond
Bit too bogan for me I am afraid

No bogans in Northcote mate ..... Not so sure about Banora Point though..... Whereas Goondawindi yehp for sure...... thats my 3 sources

In fact the Northcote bloke takes of next month for 4 months, in a specially Brand newly bought station wagon for the trip. Aged 50 plus as well.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Mar 5th 2010 at 6:31 am.
Old Mar 5th 2010, 7:27 am
Forum Regular

Max&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to all

We have a Kimberley kamper and it's brilliant. Unfortunately no good for the OP re weight, as I suspect most camper trailers are. Finding one less than 600Kg will be hard I'm sure.

Re the set up and pack up times though -under 3 mins for set up (bed ready), without using awnings and pack up less than 10mins (still hitched and ready to drive off).
Old Mar 5th 2010, 7:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Max&Ozzy
We have a Kimberley kamper and it's brilliant. Unfortunately no good for the OP re weight, as I suspect most camper trailers are. Finding one less than 600Kg will be hard I'm sure.

Re the set up and pack up times though -under 3 mins for set up (bed ready), without using awnings and pack up less than 10mins (still hitched and ready to drive off).

Thats really good !!

Must be just about a record.... got a link on the exact camper please. My other problem with them is parking at motels or hotels in city centers.... if your doing the round Aus thing.
Old Mar 5th 2010, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

bex 66 is just really nicebex 66 is just really nicebex 66 is just really nicebex 66 is just really nicebex 66 is just really nicebex 66 is just really nicebex 66 is just really nicebex 66 is just really nicebex 66 is just really nice

[ Finding one less than 600Kg will be hard I'm sure.

Actually no, there are a few on the market in all range of prices. I suppose because not everyone has a 4x4.

I just need to find someone who has bought and used one and can give me the or on the brand
Old Mar 5th 2010, 5:46 pm
Forum Regular

Max&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Thats really good !!

Must be just about a record.... got a link on the exact camper please. My other problem with them is parking at motels or hotels in city centers.... if your doing the round Aus thing.
http://www.kimberleykampers.com/index.php?item=home

Motels allow trailers too, the dog is more the problem really.
Old Mar 5th 2010, 7:41 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bex 66
Hi,

Cheers
Bex
I'm not sure if it's possible but maybe you might want to try hiring/borrowing one first to see if it's for you?
Old Mar 5th 2010, 9:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by paulry
I'm not sure if it's possible but maybe you might want to try hiring/borrowing one first to see if it's for you?
Yeah, good point...defo are hire places. We are looking to change our Hi-Ace camper some time, so last trip to NZ hired one from Britz of the layout type we are look at to get a feel for the plus and minus before you pay out.