Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Help. Business/lifestyle benifits in OZ

Help. Business/lifestyle benifits in OZ

Old Mar 13th 2004, 3:44 pm
Just Joined

Joskin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help. Business/lifestyle benifits in OZ

I am forty, married with two small children. I have run my own business for the last twenty years but I am finding it so, so difficult to be self-employed in the UK these days. I'm over taxed and the red tape is absolutely killing me. We were in OZ in November and absolutely loved it. Melbourne, Sidney, Koolangatta (Gold Coast) and Cairnes, couldn't find fault with any of it. But what's it like running your own business in OZ, does anyone out there know? What's the red tape and tax situation like? If anyone out there has anything they could share with me I'd really be grateful.
Thanks.
PS. Anyone out there from Chertsey, Dawlish Warren or the Isle of Wight?
Old Mar 13th 2004, 10:26 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Same shit different bucket.
Old Mar 13th 2004, 11:00 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by bondipom
Same shit different bucket.
I agree.

I've started and run businesses in both countries.

I found it a bit easier in the UK, but probably because I knew the system there better.

But now that I know the OZ system, it seems much the same.

I still hate red tape, no matter where it is though !!

Old Mar 14th 2004, 12:21 am
Forum Regular

clivey is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been an Electrical contractor for three years in Perth and I am now giving it up and going back to UK where I was self-employed years ago. For me it was easier in UK. Red Tape in Oz? They love it. You have to pay for everything to allow you to work. Its just very difficult to work for yourself "legally". The black economy is booming here.
Old Mar 14th 2004, 12:24 am
Forum Regular

michaela is an unknown quantity at this point

Another point you have to consider is Visa's, if your going out on visa to set up your own business if after 3 years you aint doing well they can revoke your visa. I looked into it as i have my own business here, and i thought it was a lot to lose, you may be better trying to get in under a different category and look to starting up in 12months or so when you have PR
Old Mar 14th 2004, 12:29 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Help. Business/lifestyle benifits in OZ

Originally posted by Joskin
I am forty, married with two small children. I have run my own business for the last twenty years but I am finding it so, so difficult to be self-employed in the UK these days. I'm over taxed and the red tape is absolutely killing me. We were in OZ in November and absolutely loved it. Melbourne, Sidney, Koolangatta (Gold Coast) and Cairnes, couldn't find fault with any of it. But what's it like running your own business in OZ, does anyone out there know? What's the red tape and tax situation like? If anyone out there has anything they could share with me I'd really be grateful.
Thanks.
PS. Anyone out there from Chertsey, Dawlish Warren or the Isle of Wight?
Joskin, What type of business would you be looking at. ?

Some businesses get more red tape than others.

Clivey, you should come over to the East coast.
Licenced Electricians pick and choose their work here !!

It took ages for us to get one with time available to do some work for us.