Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Help - broadband

Wikiposts

Help - broadband

Old Jun 28th 2006, 8:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute
Default Help - broadband

Hi everyone.

One of the most painful things we had in the past 2 weeks is not having access to broadband.

We've moved into our rental today - but we'll only be there for about 2 months. Does anyone know what we can do with getting a decent broadband package and then being able to transfer it.

Thanks
Old Jun 28th 2006, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

emu72 is a glorious beacon of lightemu72 is a glorious beacon of lightemu72 is a glorious beacon of lightemu72 is a glorious beacon of lightemu72 is a glorious beacon of lightemu72 is a glorious beacon of lightemu72 is a glorious beacon of lightemu72 is a glorious beacon of lightemu72 is a glorious beacon of lightemu72 is a glorious beacon of lightemu72 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Help - broadband

Originally Posted by Luma
Hi everyone.

One of the most painful things we had in the past 2 weeks is not having access to broadband.

We've moved into our rental today - but we'll only be there for about 2 months. Does anyone know what we can do with getting a decent broadband package and then being able to transfer it.

Thanks
If you're willing to pay a connection fee and supply your own modem, you can get a ADSL contract with no minimum contract length.
Old Jun 28th 2006, 8:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute

Do you know how much the connection fee is?
Would we have to pay a transer fee when we move?
Thanks

Originally Posted by emu72
If you're willing to pay a connection fee and supply your own modem, you can get a ADSL contract with no minimum contract length.
Old Jun 28th 2006, 8:48 pm
Forum Regular

emu72 is a glorious beacon of lightemu72 is a glorious beacon of lightemu72 is a glorious beacon of lightemu72 is a glorious beacon of lightemu72 is a glorious beacon of lightemu72 is a glorious beacon of lightemu72 is a glorious beacon of lightemu72 is a glorious beacon of lightemu72 is a glorious beacon of lightemu72 is a glorious beacon of lightemu72 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Luma
Do you know how much the connection fee is?
Would we have to pay a transer fee when we move?
Thanks
WestNet charge $99 connection if you don't want a 12 month contract. There is probably also a transfer fee when you move - check out the web site:

http://www.westnet.com.au/internet/broadband/adsl/
Old Jun 28th 2006, 8:52 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Telstra charge the ISP the $99 set up fee so they pass it onto you so therefore if you get ADSL now and move in 2 months time you are going to be hit for $200.

Looks like 2 months dial up for you. :scared:
Old Jun 28th 2006, 9:00 pm

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

Have you checked if any of the neighbours have an unsecured wireless network running?

Not that I'm into that sort of thing you understand.
Old Jun 28th 2006, 9:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

don544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond repute

hi luma
i am with bigpond, you can move with out any extra connection fee.( they told me!)
dom
Old Jun 28th 2006, 9:47 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by don544
hi luma
i am with bigpond, you can move with out any extra connection fee.( they told me!)
dom

I'm with bigpond too and we can move our broadband for nothing as long as we stay with them for a two year contract. As my other half works from home and needed prompt assistance should the service die, then we signed up. Seems excellent so far.
Old Jun 28th 2006, 9:53 pm
Hants to Mel Aug 05

Lindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to all

We're with iinet who I think are based in Perth (I might be wrong ) and they offer fantastic service. We moved recently and they changed it all over for us for a fee but because of their service we didn't mind paying it.

Lorraine
Old Jun 28th 2006, 10:43 pm
Karma earned, not whored

CadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of light

For good value for money and a great connection speed, look no further than iinet (http://www.iinet.net.au/products/broadband/plans.html) Indeed they have one of the fastest domestic connections in the world. :scared:
Old Jun 29th 2006, 12:23 am
Here At Last!!

frogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nice

Is it just me or does Broadband in Oz seem very expense i.e. High monthly costs, limited downloads, long contract, equipment extra costs, set up costs etc
Old Jun 29th 2006, 12:28 am
Forum Regular

it_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to all

Originally Posted by frogboy
Is it just me or does Broadband in Oz seem very expense i.e. High monthly costs, limited downloads, long contract, equipment extra costs, set up costs etc

No, it's not just you ;-( Has anyone tried Dodo.com.au? They seem reasonable and no limit downloads.
Old Jun 29th 2006, 1:56 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by iPom
I'm with bigpond too and we can move our broadband for nothing as long as we stay with them for a two year contract. As my other half works from home and needed prompt assistance should the service die, then we signed up. Seems excellent so far.
Prompt service is the last thing you'll ever get from Telstra! They know that a good percentage of people won't look any further than their land line supplier so they have no incentive to offer a decent service.
Old Jun 29th 2006, 2:04 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by don544
hi luma
dom
Then they lied!! It's clearly states on the website that they will charge you $55 for the pleasure of reconnecting you if you move house.

Plus, they have a $360 cancellation fee (reduced pro-rata depending on % of contract completed) if you dare to want to leave.

Telstra (BigPond) should be your last choice.
Old Jun 29th 2006, 10:22 am
BE Enthusiast

don544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emu72
Then they lied!! It's clearly states on the website that they will charge you $55 for the pleasure of reconnecting you if you move house.

Plus, they have a $360 cancellation fee (reduced pro-rata depending on % of contract completed) if you dare to want to leave.

Telstra (BigPond) should be your last choice.
Bugger

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.