Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

HELP !!! Being chased for wrongly accused debt after 3 yrs in oz!!!!!!!!

HELP !!! Being chased for wrongly accused debt after 3 yrs in oz!!!!!!!!

Old May 9th 2009, 5:06 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HELP !!! Being chased for wrongly accused debt after 3 yrs in oz!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by luchi
Just rec'd letter saying I owe a bank in UK $800 .....the facts are: left UK 3 yrs ago, left not owing anyone, never been in debt, would pay it if I did owe, now being chased and need help please.

I will write back to Oz debt agency, but wondering if any one else has been in this situation and wondered what to do...apart from writing "without prejudice" on the letter and explain that I do not know of any debt I owe, ask them for evidence of what debt relates to etc.

what rights do I have and want to get this cleared....any suggestions??
There is a scam in the UK where people are being chased for debt that they know nothing of. It was uncovered by BBC watchdog a couple of months ago:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/watchdog/...g_debts_1.html

It seems that bad debt is being sold for a song to third party companies who then hound the debtors. Problem is, mistakes are made and often the wrong people are being hounded. You need to stick to your guns on this one and refuse to pay until you are satisfied that you indeed owe the amount.

Good luck!
Old May 9th 2009, 5:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HELP !!! Being chased for wrongly accused debt after 3 yrs in oz!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by La Vida loca
So, I AUSTRALIAN debt agency is chasing you for UK debt.

Has the Uk institution handed your details over to the debt agency in Aus?

Why hasnt the UK institution contacted you direct if you gave your details etc....

Sounds suspect to me. Also I hear jurisdiction is different about these debts, its hard to chase you.

I suspect an aussie scam here....

There is plenty of poms here, who have escaped debt, and there isnt a lot UK institutions can do, except for racking up huge bills chasing you.
They can certainly impose a bad credit risk embargo on you. Thus negating any chance of ever getting credit from a bank or any other financial instituation.

It's used quite regularly with debtors.

OP has to prove the debt isnt theirs, which should be fairly easy.

http://www.myfinancereporter.com/bad-credit.html

Last edited by ozzieeagle; May 9th 2009 at 5:23 am.
Old May 9th 2009, 5:55 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

We also had companies not close our accounts when they should have.

Vodafone claimed my cancellation letter had not been signed (it definatly had, hubbie watched me do it and we were commenting on it still being in my maiden name). I phoned them up, they said ok, we just need to confirm who you are on the phone to cancel it as they had the letter. I answered all the questions, they said it would be cancelled from the date the letter got to them.
A couple of months after being here I noticed I was still getting the 'your bill is ready' e-mails, so e-mailed them asking them to stop sending them as I was no longer a customer. They said I was (I had cancelled all direct debits), and that I owed about 3 months of fees. It took many e-mails to get it sorted. They said they had indeed got my letter, and had logged my phone call cancelling the account, and as a gesture of good will they would cancel the last month of it. Of course I said I don't think so. They then said they would cancel it from when I cancelled, leaving me a bill of something or other. Again I said I don't think so, I had paid up until the last day due, so where was this money they were asking for from? At last they finally said that as a gesture of good will the whole bill would be wiped. Well done, doing what should have been done months before, and only a ton of e-mails to get that far.

Had I not realised who knows how large my bill would have got!

We also had companies not send out refunds which we were due, including barclay card. We had closed our account, they said yes it will be refunded within so many days. We moved, didn't think anything of it for a while. Eventually noticed we hadnot had the refund, phoned up and they tried to tell us they did not do refunds and we would have to send it on the card. Took a while for them to see that we had indeed cancelled the account and could not use the card even had we not chopped it up. Their answer to why they had not refunded it when they had said they would.....'you would have had a letter asking IF you wanted it refunded'. Who would want to donate their money to a credit card company, especially one who said you would have your money back?

Anyway, enough ranting. Definatly ask them for details of the alleged debt, as you certainly will not be paying out for a debt that you do not believe exists.

Let us know how you go.
Old May 9th 2009, 6:00 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, thats an interesting point about credit rating. I've been trying to research it a little and it does appear that under the Privacy Act 1988, a creditor can notify a credit reporting agency of a debt regardless of where that debt was incurred. The debt always remains a UK debt but it is simply enforced in Australia."

However, the Data Protection Act in the UK may indeed prevent the passing of that data completely unless the overseas company they pass it to an agency that fully complies with the Data Protection Act. Which most won't.

And there remains the point that only creditors themselves can post default information to a credit file, not a debt collection agency. A UK creditor will not have access to Australian credit checking agencies to even do this.

On balance, I still think that its hot air and bluster. For 800 pounds anything beyond a letter from a DCA seems very very unlikely indeed given the legal complications.
Old May 9th 2009, 7:38 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Banks & Finance institutions state information is confidential and credit agencies are not supposed to keep information that is incorrect, however if we are to believe this then we very much under estimate these sectors & their powers and their known cartel behavior.

Important and significant information is shared under the utmost of discretion so as not to be seen to be doing the wrong thing. The reality of banking & finance is very different.
Old May 9th 2009, 8:16 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
We also had companies not close our accounts when they should have.
That's a problem which I have been experiencing lately. Part of my preparation exercise has involved closing all my unused credit card accounts (a hangover from my days as a credit card rate tart ). I have closed several and yet I'm still receiving letters from them offering me one service or another complete with my masked but apparently still active account number. I've been keeping all of the letters confirming that the account has been closed as protection against any fraudulent actions resulting from them issuing further cards on my closed account. Very little gets shredded or thrown out these days
Old May 9th 2009, 11:00 am
Ocean Reef

Location: Landed in Perth July'06 & now freezing in Melbourne! Brisbane Bound soon and lovin it everyday!
luchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Hebe
I wouldn't write the letter 'without prejudice' as you are not seeking to negotiate a settlement. I would just respond in an open letter asking for clarification of the debt. If they fail to respond and then issue proceedings, you can then exhibit your letter in those proceedings.
Thanks for the advice, but by writing "without prejudice" just means that they can not use this letter in court preceedings if it ever got that far. I am sure it won't but just nice to cover my back!
Old May 9th 2009, 11:02 am
Ocean Reef

Location: Landed in Perth July'06 & now freezing in Melbourne! Brisbane Bound soon and lovin it everyday!
luchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by paulry
There is a scam in the UK where people are being chased for debt that they know nothing of. It was uncovered by BBC watchdog a couple of months ago:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/watchdog/...g_debts_1.html

It seems that bad debt is being sold for a song to third party companies who then hound the debtors. Problem is, mistakes are made and often the wrong people are being hounded. You need to stick to your guns on this one and refuse to pay until you are satisfied that you indeed owe the amount.

Good luck!

Thanks for this re4ply, I am certainly going to stick to my guns as I know I dont owe.
Old May 9th 2009, 11:22 am
Ocean Reef

Originally Posted by Centurion
Any legal proceedings would have to be in the UK courts. The fact that anyone has bothered to pass the debt to an Australian debt collection company means they havn't done that (an Australian debt collection company cant enforce a CCJ etc). So I suspect that the letters you are getting are trying it on with little teeth to back it up.

You should indeed send a letter requesting proof of the debt, WITH an offer in that letter to pay any statutory charge for providing that proof. You can in fact email this if you can find an email address of the bank concerned.

They have 12 working days to reply to you. If they won't comply or can't comply and the 12 days expires,then they are NOT legally entilted to pursue the debt through the Courts and if they attempt to any Judge would laugh at them.

Here's the text of a sample letter I would send. Hope it helps.

Dear Sirs,

I understand that you act for an overseas client situated in relation to an alleged debt puportedly incurred in the UK and in the jurisdiction of English Law.

I further understand that under the UK Consumer Credit Act 1974 [sections 77-79], I am entitled to receive a true copy of any credit agreement and a statement of account on request.

I am prepared to pay any statutory fee payable that you may be able to request under the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

You are notified that you are obliged to supply these documents, whether you are the original creditor or not under S189 of the CCA 1974.

Non-compliance with my request is a criminal offence under the above Act and will result in a report being submitted to the relevant statutory authorities.

I understand that under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 [sections 77-79], creditors are unable to enforce an agreement if they fail to comply with the request for a copy of the agreement and statement of account under these sections of the Act.

I understand a copy of any credit agreement along with a statement of account should be supplied within 12 working days.

Yours,

My bet is that they close the file. Its simply too much hassle to even consider enforcing. Oh and just a thought, sending you a statement of account or similar isn't acceptable. You must be supplied with a copy of the credit agreement you would have signed when opening the account AND any statement. A lot of company's just try to send out statements. That doesn't wash legally. They must supply you with a true copy of the credit agreement.

Centurion - Thanks loads for the reply, very much appreciated. I will send this letter and let you know the response if any.
Old May 9th 2009, 11:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Just rec'd letter saying I owe a bank in UK $800 .....the facts are: left UK 3 yrs ago, left not owing anyone, never been in debt, would pay it if I did owe, now being chased and need help please.

I will write back to Oz debt agency, but wondering if any one else has been in this situation and wondered what to do...apart from writing "without prejudice" on the letter and explain that I do not know of any debt I owe, ask them for evidence of what debt relates to etc.

what rights do I have and want to get this cleared....any suggestions??
Did the bank not contact you about the debt? Sounds a bit suspect if not. Was a CCJ raised in the UK regarding the debt? Shouldn't have been if you're not a resident, but that's another issue. If there is no UK CCJ then they cannot claim any money as is a UK debt and has to be dealt with under UK law and as you don't live in the UK a CCJ cannot be raised.

If you don't think the debt is yours, you ask for proof of a CCA, involved sending some minor fee (I believe £1), then the burden is on them to prove that the debt is yours, this has a timeframe of about 2 weeks, if they can't get your original agreement then they have no case.

Have to advise you to tell them only to contact you by letter and don't speak to them on the phone under any circumstances, if they turn up at your house deny them access and phone the Police as they have no legal right to enter your property, but they won't tell you that
Old May 9th 2009, 12:21 pm
Ocean Reef

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
Did the bank not contact you about the debt? Sounds a bit suspect if not. Was a CCJ raised in the UK regarding the debt? Shouldn't have been if you're not a resident, but that's another issue. If there is no UK CCJ then they cannot claim any money as is a UK debt and has to be dealt with under UK law and as you don't live in the UK a CCJ cannot be raised.

If you don't think the debt is yours, you ask for proof of a CCA, involved sending some minor fee (I believe £1), then the burden is on them to prove that the debt is yours, this has a timeframe of about 2 weeks, if they can't get your original agreement then they have no case.

Have to advise you to tell them only to contact you by letter and don't speak to them on the phone under any circumstances, if they turn up at your house deny them access and phone the Police as they have no legal right to enter your property, but they won't tell you that
Some more good advice, thanks loads...
Old May 9th 2009, 12:32 pm
Just Joined

Farmer Joe is an unknown quantity at this point

Luchi,

Have you tried to get hold of your UK credit reference report. You should still have one if you only left the UK 3 years ago and any debt will be listed and who the creditor is. I watched a very revealing program last night about credit reference agencies and how to improve your rating. This is their website.

http://www.itv.com/News/tonight/epis...d/default.html

Also have a look at http://www.moneysavingexpert.com

Good luck and don't let these companies bully you.
Old May 9th 2009, 12:59 pm
Cad and bounder

perksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?

Regarding the £1 fee. Please make sure you don't send £1 cash. The simple fact that many DCA's will use the cash as a payment towards the alleged debt. Make sure the £1 payment is in the form of a cheque or PO with an explanation written on there as to what the payment is for. Also take a photocopy of this.

Also on the sample letter, under no circumstances sign the letter. Simply print your name e.g MR F SMITH. DCA's have been known to scan your signature and add it onto credit agreement documents. Yes it does happen!!

Good luck
Old May 9th 2009, 1:03 pm
Ocean Reef

Wink Re: HELP !!! Being chased for wrongly accused debt after 3 yrs in oz!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by perksy
Regarding the £1 fee. Please make sure you don't send £1 cash. The simple fact that many DCA's will use the cash as a payment towards the alleged debt. Make sure the £1 payment is in the form of a cheque or PO with an explanation written on there as to what the payment is for. Also take a photocopy of this.

Also on the sample letter, under no circumstances sign the letter. Simply print your name e.g MR F SMITH. DCA's have been known to scan your signature and add it onto credit agreement documents. Yes it does happen!!

Good luck
Thanks..interesting about the signature and the £1,I will bear that in mind. I always advise others to always send cheques/ bankers drafts in times like this , its a sensible plan
Old May 9th 2009, 1:12 pm
Cad and bounder

perksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks..interesting about the signature and the £1,I will bear that in mind. I always advise others to always send cheques/ bankers drafts in times like this , its a sensible plan
You would be very surprised as to what tricks a DCA will pull. My ex used to work for an outfit called Mackenzie Hall (try googling them, their antics are shocking) . She was encouraged to get payment by any means possible using often illegal tactics.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.