Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Help with Banking Job Opportunities?

Help with Banking Job Opportunities?

Old Mar 14th 2014, 7:49 pm
Just Joined

Sophielouise90 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help with Banking Job Opportunities?

Hi,

I emigrate to Australia early April, very excited!

Currently I am working as a Banking Consultant where my role consists of opening banking and savings accounts, selling home insurance and lending such as loans and credit cards.

Does anyone have any idea on what type of role I could go for in Australia, as from my research it seems to be quite varied with each one only able to do only one product per role. Or does anyone know where would be the best place to do research before I go over? I just want to have some knowledge prior as I know as soon as I get there I will most probably go into a bank and just ask a few questions.

Obviously I don't want to leave myself shy by going for a less paid job when if I knew could of applied for a better one.

If anyone can help and get back to me I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance, Jonny
Old Mar 14th 2014, 7:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help with Banking Job Opportunities?

Well if you like your current job then why not try something similar? You could look on the websites of the big four banks, I am sure they have a jobs page or try a website like www.seek.com.au.

Essentially do the same things that you would do in UK if you were looking for a new job. I assume you have a permanent visa lined up already as you mention emigrating? But just checking because sometimes people with a WHV say they are emigrating too
Old Mar 14th 2014, 8:14 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Well if you like your current job then why not try something similar? You could look on the websites of the big four banks, I am sure they have a jobs page or try a website like www.seek.com.au.

Essentially do the same things that you would do in UK if you were looking for a new job. I assume you have a permanent visa lined up already as you mention emigrating? But just checking because sometimes people with a WHV say they are emigrating too
Thats what I'm hoping to do, go into a similar job. But like I said before after doing a bit of research it seems that each role in Australia only concentrate on 1 product line. So I'd rather go for a role that I can do that pays more.

Yes I am a returning resident but returning to Australia with my partner and son. I have been on the big job sites such as Seek, but none of them clarify pay, what qualifications I should have etc, they are not very helpful.

I would like the information before I go on these sites really, so I know which one to apply for and not apply for everyone and find out at a job interview.
Old Mar 14th 2014, 9:38 pm
Forum Regular

TimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of light

I dont think you really can be that picky.

Just apply for everything, that comes under your skillset.

Let the business you are applying to have the fun of drilling down your aptitude and skill levels, then you get to find out what job suits you best and hopefully the money portion slots in with your expectations.

Australian job sites rarely, indicate actual salaries for a lot of white collar jobs, more price bands. Plus Australia is the country of over engineering job roles.

To make a cake, requires one guy to carry the ingredients, another to switch the mixers on, one to weigh it all out , one to bake, and one to decorate.

Best of luck
Old Mar 14th 2014, 10:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sophielouise90
Thats what I'm hoping to do, go into a similar job. But like I said before after doing a bit of research it seems that each role in Australia only concentrate on 1 product line. So I'd rather go for a role that I can do that pays more.

Yes I am a returning resident but returning to Australia with my partner and son. I have been on the big job sites such as Seek, but none of them clarify pay, what qualifications I should have etc, they are not very helpful.

I would like the information before I go on these sites really, so I know which one to apply for and not apply for everyone and find out at a job interview.
I don't really get what help you are looking for then sorry. I just did a quick search on www.seek.com and there were 1,500 jobs under Banking in Sydney alone and plenty indicated the salaries. You can use filters to narrow it down a bit and as I mentioned you could try looking at the major banks own websites.

Just look, read the job descriptions and apply for jobs that interest you. You seem to be trying to over-engineer this process for yourself. It is not Neptune, looking for a job works same way as it does in UK.
Old Mar 14th 2014, 10:15 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by TimbersBack
I dont think you really can be that picky.

Just apply for everything, that comes under your skillset.

Let the business you are applying to have the fun of drilling down your aptitude and skill levels, then you get to find out what job suits you best and hopefully the money portion slots in with your expectations.

Australian job sites rarely, indicate actual salaries for a lot of white collar jobs, more price bands. Plus Australia is the country of over engineering job roles.

To make a cake, requires one guy to carry the ingredients, another to switch the mixers on, one to weigh it all out , one to bake, and one to decorate.

Best of luck

Thanks for the advice, really appreciate it. Totally summed it up with the cake making!
Old Mar 14th 2014, 10:17 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I don't really get what help you are looking for then sorry. I just did a quick search on www.seek.com and there were 1,500 jobs under Banking in Sydney alone and plenty indicated the salaries. You can use filters to narrow it down a bit and as I mentioned you could try looking at the major banks own websites.

Just look, read the job descriptions and apply for jobs that interest you. You seem to be trying to over-engineer this process for yourself. It is not Neptune, looking for a job works same way as it does in UK.
Thats the tricky thing about it all, there are so many jobs advertised but the job role names are totally different to here in the UK and very misleading, the amount of times I have clicked on one and realised it is not what I actually thought it would be or not in my field, it can be quite frustrating.

However I have applied for a lot in one go, so hopefully something positive will come out of it all.
Old Mar 15th 2014, 12:09 pm
Just Joined

lynx1979 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Jonny the post your referring to is a personal banker, salary will be around the $45,000 mark depending which bank you want to work for and seek is prob your best bet as I believe most banks use an agency to deal with recruitment for them and do the criminal record checks etc. The bank I work for don't require qualifications as such but you sound like you have a good background for the above mentioned role. Which par of OZ are you going to ? I would say try applying for a teller role and work your magic mate ! Progression can be quick if you work hard. Good luck : )
Old Mar 19th 2014, 11:26 am
Forum Regular

Zenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to all

Hi, I work in this type of role in the Bank I work for i.e open accounts, personal loans/credit cards. I don't do telling or home loans though. It is not a major 4 bank though. We have loads of UK expats working with us and many of them with UK banking experience. Full time salary is about $50000 plus super and opportunities to get incentives based on performance too.

Career progression is actively encouraged and there for the taking for those that want it. Good luck with your search. Also try going on the individual bank websites as they all have links to their careers page to find vacancies.
Old Mar 19th 2014, 2:44 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimbersBack

Best of luck
Really? Multiple people are hired to do one job? Our economic situation must be much better than I thought Good news for immigrants, though!

It's a very exciting time for you Jonny I'd do what has already been suggested, apply for jobs that you think may suit your qualifications and go from there. Even if it's not exactly what you're looking for, it's a foot in the door and you'll learn a lot about the different roles in your profession available in Oz. That's all very useful for furthering your career here. Good luck with the move
Old Mar 27th 2014, 9:50 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lynx1979
Hi Jonny the post your referring to is a personal banker, salary will be around the $45,000 mark depending which bank you want to work for and seek is prob your best bet as I believe most banks use an agency to deal with recruitment for them and do the criminal record checks etc. The bank I work for don't require qualifications as such but you sound like you have a good background for the above mentioned role. Which par of OZ are you going to ? I would say try applying for a teller role and work your magic mate ! Progression can be quick if you work hard. Good luck : )
Thanks for getting back to me Apologies for the late reply, have been busy preparing and not much time going on the net!

I am moving back to Brisbane, place called Cleveland and will be living at my Mother's house until I get something permanent. I was thinking as well as applying online but actually going into a few banks and just getting a few bits of information and hopefully it may open a door to a contact etc.
Old Mar 27th 2014, 9:54 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Zenshin
Hi, I work in this type of role in the Bank I work for i.e open accounts, personal loans/credit cards. I don't do telling or home loans though. It is not a major 4 bank though. We have loads of UK expats working with us and many of them with UK banking experience. Full time salary is about $50000 plus super and opportunities to get incentives based on performance too.

Career progression is actively encouraged and there for the taking for those that want it. Good luck with your search. Also try going on the individual bank websites as they all have links to their careers page to find vacancies.
Thanks for the reply What bank is it that you work for? Also is $50k a reasonable wage to live on with a family and either a house rental/mortgage? Obviously your situation may be entirely different but I'm unsure whether the wages are enough..

Also what is the title of your job? Sounds very familiar and something I'd feel very comfortable with doing. I have also been looking at this particular Australian qualification something like a RG... would you recommend to get this qualification to aid me in getting a job? Thanks a lot for the advice, it has actually given me a lot of confidence.
Old Mar 27th 2014, 9:55 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Really? Multiple people are hired to do one job? Our economic situation must be much better than I thought Good news for immigrants, though!

It's a very exciting time for you Jonny I'd do what has already been suggested, apply for jobs that you think may suit your qualifications and go from there. Even if it's not exactly what you're looking for, it's a foot in the door and you'll learn a lot about the different roles in your profession available in Oz. That's all very useful for furthering your career here. Good luck with the move
Thanks for the wishes, I really do hope it all goes well. So much difference in the move back this time, I just want everything to go smoothly.