Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Help! Australia or New Zealand....

Help! Australia or New Zealand....

Old Nov 11th 2010, 4:20 pm
Forum Regular

allisonwantstoemigrate is just really niceallisonwantstoemigrate is just really niceallisonwantstoemigrate is just really niceallisonwantstoemigrate is just really niceallisonwantstoemigrate is just really niceallisonwantstoemigrate is just really niceallisonwantstoemigrate is just really niceallisonwantstoemigrate is just really nice
Default Help! Australia or New Zealand....

......I can't decide!

I've printed off both sets of forms to register with nursing councils in both countries but I can't decide which country to go for!!

There are jobs similar to what I do now (school nurse), and I've visited both countries, although have experienced NZ more than Aus.

I'll be emigrating on my own; does anyone have experience of being single and emigrating on their own to the other side of the world???

Thanks for any suggestions or info!
Old Nov 11th 2010, 7:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help! Australia or New Zealand....

Difficult one to answer as we are all different. I have lived in NZ and now I live in Aus.

For me I like Australia because I prefer the weather, I love Melbourne and it ticks all my boxes. We have relatives in NZ who migrated there yonks ago and of course they love it and are settled there. They live in Masterton.

There is a saying that NZ biggest export is people and they mainly come to Aus for the bigger wages etc.

As a single person I guess Aus would be my choice but others may pop along and tell you differently.

Two of my closest friends who live not far from me are both New Zealanders and I did know them when I lived in NZ so long time friendship.

If you want smaller distances then its NZ if you like vastly different landscape and areas to live then Aus.

Good luck.
Old Nov 11th 2010, 10:11 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Help! Australia or New Zealand....

Originally Posted by allisonwantstoemigrate
......I can't decide!

I've printed off both sets of forms to register with nursing councils in both countries but I can't decide which country to go for!!

There are jobs similar to what I do now (school nurse), and I've visited both countries, although have experienced NZ more than Aus.

I'll be emigrating on my own; does anyone have experience of being single and emigrating on their own to the other side of the world???

Hi Alison

I've lived in both places and have found that Australia (specifically Melbourne) has the right balance between the lifestyle of NZ and the economy and job opportunities of a westernised northern hemisphere country.

As a nurse I believe you should have no trouble getting work in either country. You mention you are single but not what age group you fall in to. I would suggest that if you are younger and single you would prefer Australia as NZ can feel a bit like a big retirement village.

Also bear in mind that in Australia the wages are higher and the cost of living for many things is much less.

If your primary love is bushwalking, fishing and shooting wild animals then I would recommend New Zealand for lifestyle.

The other thing to consider is the fact that if you get Australian PR and decide you don't like Australia, then the Aus PR visa does give you the automatic right to live and work in NZ and subsequently get NZ PR and Citizenship should you wish. So it is the far more valuable visa if you can get it. The reverse does not apply, NZ visa gives you no rights in Oz at all.

BB
Old Nov 11th 2010, 10:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Seneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond repute

......I can't decide!

Both will offer a really great lifestyle, and both have lots of opportunities, though I suspect Aus more so because of its bigger population. Aus also has a much wider range of climates and more todo in terms of domestic holidays. Also, you should look into the different rights Aus/NZ PR afford in terms of mutual habitation/work rights, etc., because I am not sure they are equal. JAJ might be able to help here because he is very knowledgable in this field.

Kudos to you for doing this on your own, by the way.
Old Nov 12th 2010, 12:29 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

......I can't decide!

Australia is a 1st world country.
New Zealand is a 2nd/3rd world country.

You decide.
Old Nov 12th 2010, 1:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Australia is a 1st world country.
New Zealand is a 2nd/3rd world country.

You decide.
NZ has done well beating all those 1st world countries

The top 25 countries

1. France
2. Australia
3. Switzerland
4. Germany
5. New Zealand
6. Luxembourg
7. US
8. Belgium
9. Canada
10. Italy
11. Netherlands
12. Norway
13. Austria
14. Liechtenstein
15. Malta
16. Denmark
17. Spain
18. Finland
19. Uruguay
20. Hungary
21. Portugal
22. Lithuania
23. Andorra
24. Czech Republic
25. Great Britain
Old Nov 12th 2010, 1:35 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Help! Australia or New Zealand....

Originally Posted by fish.01

The top 25 countries

1. France
2. Australia
3. Switzerland
4. Germany
5. New Zealand
6. Luxembourg
7. US
8. Belgium
9. Canada
10. Italy
11. Netherlands
12. Norway
13. Austria
14. Liechtenstein
15. Malta
16. Denmark
17. Spain
18. Finland
19. Uruguay
20. Hungary
21. Portugal
22. Lithuania
23. Andorra
24. Czech Republic
25. Great Britain
Top 25 at what?

BB
Old Nov 12th 2010, 1:52 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

The top 25 countries

1. France
2. Australia
3. Switzerland
4. Germany
5. New Zealand
6. Luxembourg
7. US
8. Belgium
9. Canada
10. Italy
11. Netherlands
12. Norway
13. Austria
14. Liechtenstein
15. Malta
16. Denmark
17. Spain
18. Finland
19. Uruguay
20. Hungary
21. Portugal
22. Lithuania
23. Andorra
24. Czech Republic
25. Great Britain
My initial advice to the OP would be to ignore any posts which refer to NZ as third world, bongo bongo or anything of that ilk! Pure silly talk.

You could refer back to the recent UN HDI if you wish, didn't that put Aus and NZ in positions 2 & 3 respectively? Hardly sounds like the mark of a 3rd world country.
Old Nov 12th 2010, 2:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Top 25 at what?

BB
Rugby
Old Nov 12th 2010, 3:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Rugby
5th sounds about right for rugby.
Old Nov 12th 2010, 3:28 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Rugby
Wow, the Swiss national rugby team, aka The Cuckoos, have come up in the world recently.
Old Nov 12th 2010, 5:58 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

......I can't decide!

If you're really not sure and want to keep your options open for future mind-changing, then go for Oz as the process of hopping the ditch and trying NZ for a while is much, much simpler that way. When registered as a nurse in one country, registering in the other is a doodle under the mutual recognition act (simple form and fee, quick and painless). Australian PR will grant you living and working rights in NZ, whereas NZ PR will not give you the same rights in Oz so Australian PR is a better investment of your cash in a way. The route from PR--->citizenship is quicker in Oz too I think.
Old Nov 12th 2010, 7:17 am

Lenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to behold

Australia for sure. Better job prospects etc.
Old Nov 12th 2010, 7:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Australia, unless you still want to be cold.
Old Nov 12th 2010, 7:25 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Australia, unless you still want to be cold.
I was in NZ 2 weeks ago...the weather was better there than in Melbourne at the same time!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.