Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

help on area caloundra

help on area caloundra

Old May 5th 2009, 4:37 am
Just Joined

BETHANY1234 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile help on area caloundra

hello everyone me and my family have been in brisbane for 3 months and are looking into moving to caloundra on the sunshine coast and just want to know if its nice place to live and what is the best area in caloundra close to beach and shops and good schools thanks natalie.:
Old May 5th 2009, 6:09 am
Just Joined

Dr Frasier Crane is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: help on area caloundra

It's wondeful, BUT you need to find well paid jobs to live here comfortably, I was told 4 yrs ago you need 85K to just live here on avg mortgage, obv its more now. I don't know how most people survive here, we know quite a lot of people & most are self employed, seem to be doing well though a lot of people commute to Brissie early morning which is a 5.30 start for tradies, these toss pots have no respect for their betters Good Luck
Old May 5th 2009, 10:21 am
Just Joined

teedubyer is an unknown quantity at this point

not sure Dr Fraser knows what he is talking about, those toss pots you are referring to may consider themselves lucky they have a job in these tough economic times. and as for needing 85k that is a crock of s*"t
Old May 5th 2009, 10:28 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Cut out the bad language and abuse, and stick to constructive advice please.
Old May 5th 2009, 10:49 am
Forum Regular

Pearl&Wal has a brilliant futurePearl&Wal has a brilliant futurePearl&Wal has a brilliant futurePearl&Wal has a brilliant futurePearl&Wal has a brilliant futurePearl&Wal has a brilliant futurePearl&Wal has a brilliant futurePearl&Wal has a brilliant future

Caloundra is lovely but finding work may prove more difficult depending what you do for a living.

The Sunshine Coast is heavily reliant on Construction and Tourism, neither of which are going great guns this time of year. Wages are generally lower than what you could expect in Brisbane for the same type of work. This can be a problem for new residents. Not sure about the $85k though - most people earn no where near that up here.

Caloundra City School is a private School in Pelican Waters with an excellent reputation - check out their website. Other private Schools are cheaper in comparison but don't have air conditioning, mod cons - a big factor in Summer months. Local State School Caloundra State has a poor reputation but Meridan School in Iverdale is supposed to be very good - and it's a State School.

Lots of areas to live and some more expensive than others, depends on your budget but I think property prices seem to be falling - atleast that's what a frirend who works in local Real Estate told me.

Overall, great area, brilliant for bringing up kids, teriffic beaches, just need to sort out work and you'll love it i'm sure.
Old May 5th 2009, 11:31 am
Forum Regular

Famous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Pearl&Wal
Caloundra is lovely but finding work may prove more difficult depending what you do for a living.

Overall, great area, brilliant for bringing up kids, teriffic beaches, just need to sort out work and you'll love it i'm sure.
I'm sorry that I can't give you specific advice on Caloundra as I live at the northern end of the Sunshine Coast and I don't really know Caloundra at all. I did, however, just want to reiterate the point about work being the key to establishing a successful life here. I know quite a few people who have a considerable commute for work (and not just Brisbane, but also Sydney or Melbourne on a weekly basis) and others who are struggling to get by, especially with the current economic downturn. But for people who do have regular and well paid/reasonably paid work (or those who have made a pile and retired in their 40s!) the Coast is a great place to live and bring up your family.