Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Help , Anyone with experience in accounts payable / receivable MYOB Quick Book ?

Help , Anyone with experience in accounts payable / receivable MYOB Quick Book ?

Old Oct 19th 2007, 11:39 am
UK to Brissy - August 07

smoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nice
Default Help , Anyone with experience in accounts payable / receivable MYOB Quick Book ?

Ok

Here's the thing, I went for an interview for one job with a new company that has yet to set up the office, as admin / reception etc... I was then asked if I would be interested in another job. This would be carrying out the payrole for the office 9 people including myself and dealing with the internal office invoicing accounts recievable / payble etc...this would only be such things as utility bills and stationary etc... Now I have never done this before and told them this.

They have now offered me the job and asked if I would be prepared to get some training in MYOB and Quick Book before they do their own internal training.

The question is ....is this doable, given that I have no experience. I'm not dim and have held some good positions buts don't want to get my self in over my head, after taking and paying for a course to get said experience. The salary is very good and its only 5 mins up the road, hence it being so tempting.

Please could anyone with expereince in this field give me some idea of how difficult it wold be to do.

Many thanks

M
Old Oct 19th 2007, 11:55 am
Forum Regular

Izzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Help , Anyone with experience in accounts payable / receivable MYOB Quick Book ?

Originally Posted by smoggieswilltravel
Ok

Here's the thing, I went for an interview for one job with a new company that has yet to set up the office, as admin / reception etc... I was then asked if I would be interested in another job. This would be carrying out the payrole for the office 9 people including myself and dealing with the internal office invoicing accounts recievable / payble etc...this would only be such things as utility bills and stationary etc... Now I have never done this before and told them this.

They have now offered me the job and asked if I would be prepared to get some training in MYOB and Quick Book before they do their own internal training.

The question is ....is this doable, given that I have no experience. I'm not dim and have held some good positions buts don't want to get my self in over my head, after taking and paying for a course to get said experience. The salary is very good and its only 5 mins up the road, hence it being so tempting.

Please could anyone with expereince in this field give me some idea of how difficult it wold be to do.

Many thanks

M
You'll be fine so long as you have a brain - Myob is very user friendly. I have just learnt on the job but a friend of mine got herself some training and now does a bit of work freelance. Mind you have to say that things like incolink and superannuation and just their tax system in general seem very complicated (don't do this myself though - so just an opinion of what I have seen) Ask if you will be able to have the back up of the company accountant if you have any queries after your training. Good luck !
Old Oct 19th 2007, 12:08 pm

julesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help , Anyone with experience in accounts payable / receivable MYOB Quick Book ?

Originally Posted by Izzy
You'll be fine so long as you have a brain - Myob is very user friendly. I have just learnt on the job but a friend of mine got herself some training and now does a bit of work freelance. Mind you have to say that things like incolink and superannuation and just their tax system in general seem very complicated (don't do this myself though - so just an opinion of what I have seen) Ask if you will be able to have the back up of the company accountant if you have any queries after your training. Good luck !
You should be OK. I do the accounts for our business (with no training). A bookkeeper comes in every quarter to make sure the BAS is OK and answer any queries, but most of it's admin and data entry.

I'm sure you'll be fine.

Jules x

P.S We use Quickbooks on the recommendation of the first bookeeper, but I think MYOB is more popular. We had SAGE in the UK, but it's not very common here.
Old Oct 19th 2007, 12:17 pm
Confused member

SunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud of

I use QuickBooks for my Aussie clients, MYOB for my own Aussie company and Sage for my UK company.

They are basically similar with different front ends but all are very easy to use if you have a good accounts knowledge (I'm a qualified accountant BTW).

Any questions, let me know!
Old Oct 19th 2007, 12:28 pm
UK to Brissy - August 07

smoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nice

Hi

Thanks for the information so far, keep it coming. Not sure yet if I should have accounts knowledge and experience for this one or not. Of course having would be better but I don't so it wether I'm up for it or not. Any further thoughts from people would be great.

Cheers
Old Oct 19th 2007, 12:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

If my DH can manage MYOB anyone can use it!

I think it does help to have some sort of understanding about the rudiments of accounting though
Old Oct 19th 2007, 1:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smoggieswilltravel
Hi

Thanks for the information so far, keep it coming. Not sure yet if I should have accounts knowledge and experience for this one or not. Of course having would be better but I don't so it wether I'm up for it or not. Any further thoughts from people would be great.

Cheers

I've just passed my certifcate III in financial services, and did MYOB as part of the course, it's really easy to use. I know here in SA there is always ads in the job paper on Saturday for one or two day courses to learn the basics of the programme, look to see if there's any in your Saturday paper
Old Oct 20th 2007, 1:27 am
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute

Hello

I started my admin job out here 18 months ago and took on accounts payable / receivable with no previous experience. I can't say that anything mathematical is my strong point (I married an accountant so that's his department!) but it's been a breeze. We use Sage (UK head office) and all I had was very a quick internal training session and was shown where the procedures manual was kept! It's a very routine job so within a week or two it will be familiar.

Good luck.
Old Oct 20th 2007, 1:38 am
UK to Brissy - August 07

Well thanks to everyone,

I think I'm going to give it a go, get some training and then see how it goes. The company seems/looks like a good set up even if it is new. Its near and it pays well.

Thanks again for all the help, its put my mind at ease.