Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

help - Any tips - electrician on 136 have difficulty finding work

help - Any tips - electrician on 136 have difficulty finding work

Old Oct 3rd 2011, 11:09 am
Just Joined

jane k doyle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default help - Any tips - electrician on 136 have difficulty finding work

Hi we have been in OZ, 7 weeks now and my hubby cant find a job, he is an electrician we have come over on a 136.The tra is so slow and he cant get work without his licence, we have done the agencey bit and they have today told him to get working in confind
spaces and working at heights which we have now booked for next week more money spent out.I thought perth wa was screaming out for electricians, really starting to get to us as a family the poor kids...
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 11:12 am
Just Joined

Default Re: help

Originally Posted by jane k doyle
Hi we have been in OZ, 7 weeks now and my hubby cant find a job, he is an electrician we have come over on a 136.The tra is so slow and he cant get work without his licence, we have done the agencey bit and they have today told him to get working in confind
spaces and working at heights which we have now booked for next week more money spent out.I thought perth wa was screaming out for electricians, really starting to get to us as a family the poor kids...
need some advise on where and what to do next thanks
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 11:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jane and Welcome to BE.

Sorry to hear that. Maybe a mod from this forum can move it the Oz forum where you can get some advice on what to do next.
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 11:49 am
Just Joined

Default Re: help thanks need all the help we can get.

thanks need the the help we can get
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 12:18 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Thread moved.
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 12:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Have you tried the usual websites, such as www.seek.com.au and www.careerone.com.au? Also try www.simplyhired.com.au and Apply Direct http://www.applydirect.com.au/jobs/T...ustralia/Perth. Also here http://www.elecjobs.com.au/search-re...ke%5D%5B%5D=WA (looks to be specifically for electrical jobs). Also www.mycareer.com.au, lots of others when you search online. Are you ringing them to make contact? Using a landline would be cheaper than mobile.

Last edited by HelenTD; Oct 3rd 2011 at 12:30 pm.
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 1:19 pm
Just Joined

darren01443 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: help - Any tips - electrician on 136 have difficulty finding work

have you looked on gumtree there seems to be a few jobs for sparkys
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 1:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

deb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: help - Any tips - electrician on 136 have difficulty finding work

How about just going around the local sites of work and just asking the question, you never know mate. There might be a spark in need of some good help in the morning and he/she is out on a job struggling through and then you rock up and pop the question
The glass is always half full here mate
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 4:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was a Londoner in Edinburgh... was a Jockney, now in Brisbane....I'm an ocker cockney
derren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud of

Hi there,
Was your hubby the main applicant for the visa and if so, did he have to do a VETASSESS assessment for migration purposes?
Regards Derren
Old Oct 4th 2011, 11:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by derren7
Hi there,
Was your hubby the main applicant for the visa and if so, did he have to do a VETASSESS assessment for migration purposes?
Regards Derren

Hi yes hubby was the main applicant but we applied before the vetassess came out. Spoke to the tra yesterday as Monday was a public holiday, even though they told us to call back Monday, they have now found his details, THANK GOD.
So its a waiting game, but he still has the courses to do next week which will be a good thing for his c.v thanks everyone for the help we need all the help from people right now Jane x

Last edited by Alfresco; Oct 5th 2011 at 10:26 am. Reason: Fixed quote
Old Oct 4th 2011, 11:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Post in here hun: http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=97

That's where the electricians hang out, someone in there may be able to point you in the right direction.

Has he done the wiring rules course yet? he's gonna need that to be able to apply for a licence.
Old Oct 5th 2011, 12:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Bikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond repute

Also is he australianised (is that even a word) his CV?

I was recommended to change my cv from a textual document to a bullet point document when detailing my work experience. Apparently they just want to be able to see at a glance what your experience and skill set are rather than just reading through loads of text - it seems to have worked for me, had more positive responses since altering my cv. Also keep to the bear minimum of pages (mine is 2.5 a4 sides, but the last half page is just my personal details) - just list his early work history with job titles and dates, and only summarise the last couple of jobs in detail.
Old Oct 5th 2011, 5:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was a Londoner in Edinburgh... was a Jockney, now in Brisbane....I'm an ocker cockney
derren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud of

Hi yes hubby was the main applicant but we applied before the vetassess came out. Spoke to the tra yesterday as Monday was a public holiday, even though they told us to call back Monday, they have now found his details, THANK GOD.
So its a waiting game, but he still has the courses to do next week which will be a good thing for his c.v thanks everyone for the help we need all the help from people right now Jane x
Hi again,
I presume you are applying to the TRA for an Australian Recognised Trades Certificate (ARTC). Hopefully, you realise that this is not a licence to work as the TRA do not issue licences. Current processing times for an ARTC seem to be around 3-4 months from date of logement.
As Wendy as alluded to, you OH will need to undertake some gap training in order to be acquainted with the wiring regs and practises.
Read this LINK for step by step details on how to obtain a WA A grade licence.
Regards Derren