Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

help - another rediculous question

help - another rediculous question

Old Jan 29th 2006, 9:40 pm
one day rodders !!!

robos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond repute
Red face help - another rediculous question

just wondering folks we dont own our own luggage we borrow our mums

because we wont be coming back to return it we will have to buy some cases

can anyone tell us how many cases can we take with us there is myself, hubby, son-16, daughter-14, son-12

thanks anyone

jan xx
Old Jan 29th 2006, 9:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: help - another rediculous question

Originally Posted by robos

can anyone tell us how many cases can we take with us there is myself, hubby, son-16, daughter-14, son-12

thanks anyone

jan xx
I don't think there's a restriction on amount of cases (within reason), just the weight that's in them. Try to buy the lightest, roomiest ones you can find
Old Jan 29th 2006, 9:45 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Johnstons
I don't think there's a restriction on amount of cases (within reason), just the weight that's in them. Try to buy the lightest, roomiest ones you can find
Some airlines do have a "piece" limit on the number of suitcases you can take.

Jeremy
Old Jan 29th 2006, 9:47 pm
ABCDiamond

thanks anyone

jan xx
If you fly via the USA, I think you are allowed 2 cases each, with no weight limit, as long as you can move them yourselves

This was the case when I went that way, but may of course have changed.

Flying the more usual way, I agree with The Johnstons.

Old Jan 29th 2006, 9:49 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
If you fly via the USA, I think you are allowed 2 cases each, with no weight limit, as long as you can move them yourselves

This was the case when I went that way, but may of course have changed.

Flying the more usual way, I agree with The Johnstons.
No one item can weigh more than 32kgs - thats not an airline rule, its a Workplace Health and Safety rule - heavier than that and the baggage guys can refuse to move them
Old Jan 29th 2006, 9:57 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Pollyana
No one item can weigh more than 32kgs - thats not an airline rule, its a Workplace Health and Safety rule - heavier than that and the baggage guys can refuse to move them
ahh. I don't think that "Workplace Health and Safety" had been invented when I last flew via the States
I do remember that I had to drag my cases, as I couldn't actually lift them, and all the little wheels broke off !!

Old Jan 29th 2006, 10:24 pm
Coventry to Caloundra....

joeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
ahh. I don't think that "Workplace Health and Safety" had been invented when I last flew via the States
I do remember that I had to drag my cases, as I couldn't actually lift them, and all the little wheels broke off !!
we had 2 large cases, and 2 very large holdall cases, plus 2 holdalls a couple of rucksacks, a pushchair and hand luggage...a 12 month old and a 4 year old.

malaysian airways were great at heathrow and let us on but told us it was too heavy (they let us thro cos the heathrow plane was not full) and we'd never get it all out of hong kong airport(on the way to brisbane) so we left a whole case of gear at the hong kong hotel - like we needed coats, jumpers, extra blankets - tch! best to check the weights before you pack i reckon!

(...downtown hong kong... there's a wicked little car boot sale going on with some designer jumpers and coats)
Old Jan 30th 2006, 7:05 am
Forum Regular

Gill C has a brilliant futureGill C has a brilliant futureGill C has a brilliant futureGill C has a brilliant futureGill C has a brilliant futureGill C has a brilliant futureGill C has a brilliant futureGill C has a brilliant future

thanks anyone

jan xx
Don't know how many bags you can take you need to check with the airline, but because you are on a one-way ticket and emigrating you should get 40K weight for each adult instead of the usual 20K. I don't know what it is for children you would need to check with the airline Oh you do need to let the airline know in advance don't just turn up with your extra weight.
Old Jan 30th 2006, 7:06 am
one day rodders !!!

robos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond repute

thanks to all of you for the answers

jan xx
Old Jan 30th 2006, 7:11 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gill C
Don't know how many bags you can take you need to check with the airline, but because you are on a one-way ticket and emigrating you should get 40K weight for each adult instead of the usual 20K. I don't know what it is for children you would need to check with the airline Oh you do need to let the airline know in advance don't just turn up with your extra weight.
And don't assume you can. Very few airlines are giving extra baggage allowance these days. Singapore is one who do, but you do need to show proof of PR visa and one way travel. A couple others don't offer it unless you buy a special migrants ticket which is more expensive than normal - don't know if the difference is the same as the excess baggage cost would be on a normal ticket.

They do say only one piece of cabin baggage each but we got away with a little more

Singapore Air were brilliant with us. We tried and tried to stay with the 20kg each and thought we had. Everything went ok at Heathrow. It wasn't until we were in the hotel in Singapore that we saw they had written the real weight down on the slip - 97kg. We panicked slightly on leaving Singapore but again nothing said. Must have been because we were on one way tickets. I was the only one of the family with a visa.