Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Help! all joiners/carpenters

Help! all joiners/carpenters

Old Mar 19th 2007, 9:29 pm
Just Joined

cass51824 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Help! all joiners/carpenters

Sorry if this has been answered before, but I can't seem to find the answer when I search. My OH has got his visa and we are off to Oz. I'm a citizen so he is entering on a spouse visa not a skilled one. It seems that the TRA only do assessments for joiners if that is how they are migrating to Oz on skilled visa. When I look at the other category of assessment (for Oz residents, which he will be after we get there) then they only list a smaller amount of occupations such as electricians and plumbers. My OH never did a formal appreticship just on the job experience in a small firm. Will he be able to work in Oz (We are moving to Melbourne, Vic)?? Any guidance would be fantastic. Even if he had to do lower paid work to get some more experience he would. Just wondering if there is anything we can do to make it better for him. I have a friend in OZ who works in the trade and said that he can get an assessor to come and watch him work and if he passes he can work as a carpenter?

Sorry for rambling, hope I make sense!
Thanks in advance
Old Mar 19th 2007, 11:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help! all joiners/carpenters

Originally Posted by cass51824
Sorry if this has been answered before, but I can't seem to find the answer when I search. My OH has got his visa and we are off to Oz. I'm a citizen so he is entering on a spouse visa not a skilled one. It seems that the TRA only do assessments for joiners if that is how they are migrating to Oz on skilled visa. When I look at the other category of assessment (for Oz residents, which he will be after we get there) then they only list a smaller amount of occupations such as electricians and plumbers. My OH never did a formal appreticship just on the job experience in a small firm. Will he be able to work in Oz (We are moving to Melbourne, Vic)?? Any guidance would be fantastic. Even if he had to do lower paid work to get some more experience he would. Just wondering if there is anything we can do to make it better for him. I have a friend in OZ who works in the trade and said that he can get an assessor to come and watch him work and if he passes he can work as a carpenter?

Thanks in advance

Try this http://www.vetassess.com.au/index.cfm?menu=1.8
Old Mar 19th 2007, 11:16 pm
Hot and sweaty member!!

yvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks in advance
My hubby is a carpentry and Joinery lecturer at Tafe here in WA. There is an RPL (Recognition of Prior Learning) process here which he is in charge of at his Tafe. Maybe if you ask a local Tafe if they can assess his skills - he may be able to obtain a certificate which equates to that of a formally trained one.
Hope that helps
Old Mar 29th 2007, 1:34 am
"At Home"

ekiec is just really niceekiec is just really niceekiec is just really niceekiec is just really niceekiec is just really niceekiec is just really niceekiec is just really niceekiec is just really nice

I have applied four weeks ago to VTT/Dept. of Educ. for recognition of my qualifications. I rang them today and they said it was refused. I have been a carpenter/ builder since 1986 and have been running my own company for most of those years, also have qualified cert and apprenticeship in cabinetmaking. I now have to wait a week for them to send the details in the post and they said I could appeal. How can you not be a carpenter after twenty years experience.!!!!! I have to wait and see, Eamon
Old Apr 9th 2007, 11:25 am
Forum Regular

Location: Originally Reading - now the Beautiful Central Coast!
MurphFam is just really niceMurphFam is just really niceMurphFam is just really niceMurphFam is just really niceMurphFam is just really niceMurphFam is just really niceMurphFam is just really niceMurphFam is just really niceMurphFam is just really nice

Originally Posted by ekiec
I have applied four weeks ago to VTT/Dept. of Educ. for recognition of my qualifications. I rang them today and they said it was refused. I have been a carpenter/ builder since 1986 and have been running my own company for most of those years, also have qualified cert and apprenticeship in cabinetmaking. I now have to wait a week for them to send the details in the post and they said I could appeal. How can you not be a carpenter after twenty years experience.!!!!! I have to wait and see, Eamon
Hello Eamon

Was just wondering how you got on with this in the end? Do you mind sharing? OH is a Carpenter and we are thinking of heading your way at the end of July.

Thanks

Tracy
Old Apr 9th 2007, 12:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Babsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud of

Thanks in advance
can i get into this one, my OH is a joiner and we are just waiting for TRA at mo' but then i was wondering what do we have to do to get him working in Aus? Everyone seems to have so much trouble, i wanted to be forwarned as it were. babs.( will follow link to vetassess posted above as well, thnx!)
Old Apr 9th 2007, 11:19 pm
"At Home"

ekiec is just really niceekiec is just really niceekiec is just really niceekiec is just really niceekiec is just really niceekiec is just really niceekiec is just really niceekiec is just really nice

Originally Posted by MurphFam
Hello Eamon

Was just wondering how you got on with this in the end? Do you mind sharing? OH is a Carpenter and we are thinking of heading your way at the end of July.

Thanks

Tracy
Just sent you a PM. They have regognised my cabinetmaking, which means that I can get a license under the Joinery category. They refused the license for carpentry because "Insufficient evidence of demonstated carpentry and joinery skills"- " Insufficient evidence supporting how trade skills in carpentry and joinery were developed" I sent them thirty pages of his history,client letters, a full list of my jobs, photographs etc. " You have the right of appeal" they added.:curse: :curse: I have to ring today to find out 'what' they require for appeal or to be recognised.. eamon.