Reload this Page >

Help!! Advice needed on pregancy and 457 visa

Help!! Advice needed on pregancy and 457 visa

Old May 23rd 2013, 3:10 am
Just Joined

downunder2012 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help!! Advice needed on pregancy and 457 visa

Dear all,

I was hoping that I would be able to get some advice/ direction from fellow Expats.

My family and I are out here on a 457 visa, we arrived in November 2012.

A couple of days ago I found that I was pregnant. I am thinking around 6/7 weeks gone. Initial reaction was shock. We have two children already and was hoping to have a third, just not right now. Reactions are changing, I am delighted but also apprehensive being so far from family and friends, and our comfort zone of knowing how maternity procedures work in the UK.

Ok so the advice I am looking for:

1. Hubby has been reading and has told me that we will have to pay for all costs involved with the pregnancy. After myself looking today I think we would be covered for majority, only having to pay for scans and certain bloods, we are with Medicare. Is this the case or will we have to pay more?

2. Again Hubby reading, the new addition would not be classed as an Australian Citizen so would need registering with the UK embassy which would cost approx $1400. This would also need to be done so the new one could be added to our visa, otherwise he/she or we could be deported...... I am not sure where he is getting his information so would like to just see if any of you's have had similar experiences you could share.

I am also stressing because we would of been here 14 months when new one arrives and so we wont get any social assistance. I am currently working, but my role is fixed term, and hoping to be made permanent next month. I dont know when I should tell them that I am pregnant. The role I want is 3 days a week, I am worried I wont pass my 3 month review because of my pregnancy. I know I wouldnt be entitled to Maternity pay because not being with the company 12 months but I dont know if they would keep me on and give me a job after. I also dont want them to think I have kept it a secret, I want to be honest but dont know if it will just shoot me in the foot.

Sorry I have rambled, there is so much going through my head.

It has been discussed that we go home, but I dont want to take this life away from my children. They have enjoyed school so much since being here and we are growing so much closer as a family. I just hope financially we will be able to manage, at least for a year before we can apply for PR (fingers crossed we can be sponsored by employer).

I am also feeling so much more emotional with new one, I also have strange stomach twinges that I can not remember with my first two so early on.

thank you for reading, and listening
Old May 23rd 2013, 6:40 am
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help!! Advice needed on pregancy and 457 visa

First things first: Congratulations on the pregnancy!
Originally Posted by downunder2012 View Post
1. Hubby has been reading and has told me that we will have to pay for all costs involved with the pregnancy. After myself looking today I think we would be covered for majority, only having to pay for scans and certain bloods, we are with Medicare. Is this the case or will we have to pay more?
If you are eligible for Medicare under the reciprocal agreement with the UK, then you are right and your husband is wrong. You won't have to pay anything except scans and maybe non-routine tests as long as you are cared for through the public system. Your GP should be able to give you a rundown of all the options available in your area but the main ones are:
  • shared care between GP and public hospital (if your GP doesn't bulk bill then you will have to pay the consultations and get your refund through Medicare
  • Public care in a midwife-led centre in a public hospital
  • Public care in a public hospital
There may be more options where you live. I am also going by my experience of having a baby in the public system 5 years ago while on a 457. System may have changed.

2. Again Hubby reading, the new addition would not be classed as an Australian Citizen so would need registering with the UK embassy which would cost approx $1400. This would also need to be done so the new one could be added to our visa, otherwise he/she or we could be deported...... I am not sure where he is getting his information so would like to just see if any of you's have had similar experiences you could share.
Not sure about the cost you mention above. I thought you only needed to pay for a passport application (is it still around $350?) since the baby will automatically be British by descent. I got French passports for my 2 so can't help from experience, but it should be quite straight forward to get your child their British citizenship. They will indeed need a passport to be added to your visa but as long as you do things promptly after the birth and let DIAC know you have applied for a passport, there should be no issue with them. Someone more knowledgeable will probably come along shortly and answer that one.

I am also stressing because we would of been here 14 months when new one arrives and so we wont get any social assistance.
You will get no financial assistance whatsoever from the government (state or federal) as long as you are on a 457. It doesn't matter how long you have been here, 457-holders have no entitlement to any family or employment benefits. Only thing you get is Medicare. You will have to become permanent residents to get anything. If you or your husband has the points to apply for PR now, I would lodge an EOI asap so that you can get your PR sooner rather than later.

I am currently working, but my role is fixed term, and hoping to be made permanent next month. I dont know when I should tell them that I am pregnant. The role I want is 3 days a week, I am worried I wont pass my 3 month review because of my pregnancy. I know I wouldnt be entitled to Maternity pay because not being with the company 12 months but I dont know if they would keep me on and give me a job after. I also dont want them to think I have kept it a secret, I want to be honest but dont know if it will just shoot me in the foot.
Read through your employment contract. Also read through any award/enterprise agreement that might apply to your industry. You might have to disclose your pregnancy by 12 weeks if the award says so. If there is nothing in your contract/award, then you could tell them when you start to show as it is still better they hear it from you. The law should apply regarding the employer having to allow you to take up to 12 months off with a job on your return if you are a permanent employee. If you can get the permanent contract before you tell them, then why not?
I just hope financially we will be able to manage, at least for a year before we can apply for PR (fingers crossed we can be sponsored by employer).
Again, you can apply now if you have the points. No need to wait until the employer sponsors you. They might change their mind. A year is a long time to have to wait in uncertainty...
Old May 23rd 2013, 6:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

If you get your scans and blood tests done at a public hospital they should be free. Just ask your GP to do that if you live near a public hospital.
( I'm, currently pregnant)
Old May 23rd 2013, 5:52 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by downunder2012 View Post
Child will automatically have your visa (Section 78 - Migration Act).

As long as one of you is British otherwise than by descent, child will be British by descent. If that's the case, apply for the child to have a British passport.