Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Help/advice about having a baby in Oz

Help/advice about having a baby in Oz

Old Nov 26th 2013, 11:32 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Help/advice about having a baby in Oz

I'm Australian and my wife is a Pom. She had PR when we moved to Adelaide.

Our son was born here. We used a public hospital and didn't pay a cent. They also sent us a nice lady who visited every day for a week and took care of the housework. Again, no charge for this.

It was a great experience.

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; Nov 26th 2013 at 11:35 am.
Old Nov 26th 2013, 11:50 am
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help/advice about having a baby in Oz

Must be a new thing, I got a nurse that made sure I was coping, if she would've done household work I would've been very surprised as, given as far as I know they are there to assess you can COPE!
Old Nov 26th 2013, 12:02 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Help/advice about having a baby in Oz

Originally Posted by teza
Must be a new thing, I got a nurse that made sure I was coping, if she would've done household work I would've been very surprised as, given as far as I know they are there to assess you can COPE!
This was in 2009. The lady was very nice, took care of vacuuming, washing, ironing, and even gave us a free bag of clothes that her boys had grown out of! She wasn't a nurse, just a sort of 'mother's helper.'

Old Nov 27th 2013, 2:10 am
Forum Regular

Lisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to all
Default Re: Help/advice about having a baby in Oz

With regard to buying things for the baby I would consider buying things second hand. Babies grow so quickly things often only have a few months of use before they are too small or not suitable any more. Also pre-birth there is a tendency to by lots of gorgeous cute things, whereas after the birth all you want is hardwearing, practical, easy to use things. Talk to someone who's had a baby for a shopping list (or PM me if you're stuck), look on Gumtree and see if there are any Facebook sites covering your area that sell maternity / baby things. I'm in Sydney and we also have monthly baby & kids markets near us where people set up tabletops to sell second hand goods - there might be something similar in your area.