Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Help/advice about having a baby in Oz

Help/advice about having a baby in Oz

Old Nov 25th 2013, 5:32 am
Just Joined

Katie Cat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help/advice about having a baby in Oz

Hubby & I here since 2011 on 176 visa. Our first baby due July 2014. I'm full time aged care worker, hubby unemployed. Nervous/worried/anxious for when I stop work. What help will we get (if any) and for what duration?

Last edited by Katie Cat; Nov 25th 2013 at 5:36 am.
Old Nov 25th 2013, 5:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help/advice about having a baby in Oz

Have you spoken to your employer/
Old Nov 25th 2013, 6:02 am
Just Joined

Told them about pregnancy but they waiting until closer to time to sort specifics (duration I can work, length of maternity leave, etc) just worried about buying baby things, hospital bills, paying utilities & rent.
Old Nov 25th 2013, 6:04 am
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute

As a PR you would qualify family tax benefits and if renting, rental assistance. Have a look here http://www.humanservices.gov.au/cust...s-for-families
Old Nov 25th 2013, 6:09 am
Just Joined

That's a big help, thank you!
Old Nov 25th 2013, 6:09 am
Forum Regular

nicolac34 is an unknown quantity at this point

You'd get the 18 weeks statutory maternity pay - it's minimum wage $622 a week.
Old Nov 25th 2013, 6:17 am
Just Joined

Thought could only get family tax benefit if we have other children?
(Really confused!)
Old Nov 25th 2013, 6:29 am
Forum Regular

nicolac34 is an unknown quantity at this point

Use this calculator

https://www.centrelink.gov.au/RateEs...eEstimatorView

Should estimate what you are entitled to in terms of family tax benefits, click on 'estimate family tax benefits' and check the box to estimate the child care benefit and child care rebate.
Old Nov 25th 2013, 6:47 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Are you planning to go private for the birth? Just with you saying hospital bills.

Our son was born here (in Sydney) under the public system. As I opted for shared care (some appointments with a GP and some with the hospital), I did have to pay the usual doctor's fee. I guess you could get around that with a bulk-billing GP. Or not opt for shared care! But my scans, all my hospital appointments and the birth were all covered by Medicare, so free. More importantly, ICU was free, too, when the Gorilla ended up there.
Old Nov 25th 2013, 9:42 am
Aussie Finn Mixture!

teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute

Use the calculators shown, as PRs your baby will be Australian by birth as born here, entitled to FTBs (family tax benefits), or rather you are as a mother. They payments are calculated per child so yes, first born is counted it, payments increase per child (not much and depending on parent income). As your partner is unemployed and you will not be working, I dare say you would qualify for health care card as well so please look into that as well.
Old Nov 25th 2013, 11:18 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Katie Cat
Hubby & I here since 2011 on 176 visa. Our first baby due July 2014. I'm full time aged care worker, hubby unemployed. Nervous/worried/anxious for when I stop work. What help will we get (if any) and for what duration?

Hi Katie Cat - re. paid maternity leave, remember that you need to have worked for 10 of the 13 months preceding your baby's birth.

Not really up on the 176 visa conditions, but you should check if you/your husband would be eligible for an income payment such as Newstart if you find that you can't return to work after the 18 months paid mat. leave (if hubby's still not working, that is) I think there's a 2 year qualifying period, which you will more than meet, but check it out on the Dept. Human Services and Immi websites. Good luck with the bub
Edit: whoops! 18 weeks paid maternity leave, not 18 months. Sorry!

Last edited by spouse of scouse; Nov 25th 2013 at 11:20 am.
Old Nov 25th 2013, 5:45 pm
Just Joined

Oh wow!! So much I didn't know, thank you, thank you!!!!
Old Nov 26th 2013, 12:59 am
BE Enthusiast

macy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by teza
Use the calculators shown, as PRs your baby will be Australian by birth as born here, entitled to FTBs (family tax benefits), or rather you are as a mother. They payments are calculated per child so yes, first born is counted it, payments increase per child (not much and depending on parent income). As your partner is unemployed and you will not be working, I dare say you would qualify for health care card as well so please look into that as well.
We had a health care care when we first arrived and I had my wisdom teeth taken out in the chair using the health care card system, in and out in 15 mins no dramas and no bills
Old Nov 26th 2013, 1:56 am
Just Joined

The health care card would definitely help - both in need of check ups!

Had a dark cloud over me yesterday but I see sunshine ahead! Looks like I can even enjoy my baby!! Thanks!!!
Old Nov 26th 2013, 5:57 am
Aussie Finn Mixture!

No worries, enjoy the pregnancy and baby, centrelink are very helpful, give them a call and odds are being first time customer, you'll need to go in for an appointment but after that it's pretty routine (payments arrive fortnightly, any changes you can update online). If you qualify for healthcare card it usually means automatic bulk billing at doctors, prescription are flat rate of $5 or something like it, most power and gas companies offer discounts for HC card holders, also car rego in some state will be cheaper with it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.