Help!

Old Nov 8th 2015, 7:12 pm
Just Joined

pete721 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help!

This is somewhat complicated, but stick with me! Born Hobart Tasmania 1960, adopted in Tasmania at 10 days old by British parents. Returned as a family to the UK in 1961, aged 1. Lived in the UK ever since. Never returned to Australia. Approaching retirement in the next 10 years. Single, no ties to the UK anymore. Have a strong desire to return to the country and place of my birth for the final chapter of my life. And I need YOUR help! I haven't the first idea of how to go about it, or whether it is even possible. Any advice or pointers would be very gratefully received. Please write back if you can suggest anything that might help. Thanks for reading! Pete.
Old Nov 8th 2015, 9:17 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help!

Originally Posted by pete721
This is somewhat complicated, but stick with me! Born Hobart Tasmania 1960, adopted in Tasmania at 10 days old by British parents. Returned as a family to the UK in 1961, aged 1. Lived in the UK ever since. Never returned to Australia. Approaching retirement in the next 10 years. Single, no ties to the UK anymore. Have a strong desire to return to the country and place of my birth for the final chapter of my life. And I need YOUR help! I haven't the first idea of how to go about it, or whether it is even possible. Any advice or pointers would be very gratefully received. Please write back if you can suggest anything that might help. Thanks for reading! Pete.
You were legally born here so are therefore a citizen

Get an Australian passport and you can come and go as you please

I would imagine that you are also eligible for an Australian pension if you qualify (based on your assets and income)

Have fun!
Old Nov 8th 2015, 9:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

You are a citizen, so will just need to apply for an Australian passport
However, before you jump on a plane, do check out the other issues concerning the move such as pensions, jobs and things.
Old Nov 8th 2015, 10:12 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Check the qualification for an Australian state pension because I think you have to be resident in Australia for a cumulative 10 years.

Any UK pension payments would be deducted from it first.
Old Nov 9th 2015, 3:56 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
Check the qualification for an Australian state pension because I think you have to be resident in Australia for a cumulative 10 years.

Any UK pension payments would be deducted from it first.
Correct. And the UK State pension wipes out most of the Aussie one I've been told
Old Nov 9th 2015, 5:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

I guess as long as you have your birth certificate indicating your Australian citizen status and plenty of money you can do exactly as you please! Get your passport and go. Enjoy the ride!

Edited to say - don't be surprised if you struggle to find work at 55 - unless you have an in demand skill set you could find it hard to break into employment. And keep paying your NI contributions from Aus so you get a full UK pension as your Aus Super won't amount to much. If you are in a position to do so, take a career break from your current career, don't quit as it can be hard to get back into the work force again if it all goes pear shaped

Last edited by quoll; Nov 9th 2015 at 5:24 am.
Old Nov 9th 2015, 2:41 pm
Forum Regular

winston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to behold

I would have thought if he has had continuous UK employment he would already have enough NI contributions. I believe you need 35 qualifying years. But that is something you can always check out.