Reload this Page >

HELP - 457 Visa with Electrician partner. ADVICE NEEDED

HELP - 457 Visa with Electrician partner. ADVICE NEEDED

Old Jan 21st 2019, 8:01 am
Just Joined

Hopeforme123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default HELP - 457 Visa with Electrician partner. ADVICE NEEDED

Hi there

I'm looking to move to Aus (Melbourne). I'll be on a 457 Visa and my partner is coming with me who is a qualified electrician with 10 plus years experience.

can someone help me out on explaining the process for him, there is so much information it's hard to decifer...

can he transfer his skills? If yes what timeframe?

are there good job prospects in Melbourne for electricians?

can he find work before he goes?

is this a real bum deal for him?

thanks!!!

thanks alot for anyone who responds.

Old Jan 21st 2019, 8:31 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HELP - 457 Visa with Electrician partner. ADVICE NEEDED

How are you going on a 457? That visa was scrapped in March 2018.
Old Jan 21st 2019, 8:33 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your advice on the content....

Maybe I got my codes wrong but it's a work sponsorship visa via the bank I work for, I clearly forgot or mis typed the code.
Old Jan 21st 2019, 10:07 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hopeforme123

Maybe I got my codes wrong but it's a work sponsorship visa via the bank I work for, I clearly forgot or mis typed the code.
Could be a 482 TSS visa?
He will have a lot of work to do to get his qualifications recognised and will probably have to work under supervision for some time - the process varies from state to state.
Are you planning to apply for PR at some point or is this just a temporary move?
Old Jan 21st 2019, 10:16 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Could be a 482 TSS visa?
He will have a lot of work to do to get his qualifications recognised and will probably have to work under supervision for some time - the process varies from state to state.
Are you planning to apply for PR at some point or is this just a temporary move?
hi Pollyana,

thankyou for your response.

we would be in Melbourne; do you know state rules for Victoria?

I would love to apply for PR but to convince him I'll probably have to agree to it being temporary then hope he falls in love with the place ......

I don't want to sign up to it if it means he will have a hard time so I'm just trying to ascertain how hard / OK It will be for him?
Old Jan 21st 2019, 1:10 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

hi Pollyana,

I would love to apply for PR but to convince him I'll probably have to agree to it being temporary then hope he falls in love with the place ......

I don't want to sign up to it if it means he will have a hard time so I'm just trying to ascertain how hard / OK It will be for him?
I'm afraid I'm not up on the requirements, beyond knowing that there are various hoops to jump through, and these usually involve a certain length of time working under supervision.
We do have a poster old.sparkles who is very knowledgable on the electrician info, although she is based in Adelaide. Hopefully she will respond to your thread.
We also have an Electricians forum - it does have posters all round the world, but there is a lot of Australian info in there, and I'm sure Victoria comes up a few times.

https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/
Old Jan 21st 2019, 9:43 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.esv.vic.gov.au/licensing...rical-workers/

I love Google.
Old Jan 22nd 2019, 3:19 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

hi Pollyana,

He will most certainly have a hard time.

First steps would be a skills assessment for his OTSR - this is a two part assessment and around $3k I think. As a UK electrician, he should look at Vetassess or Future Skills for this. He can do this is the UK but probably looking at 3 months +

With a valid OTSR he can sign up for a supervised workers license and gap training. The training is also around $3k I think but could be higher. The license will be a few hundred.

With that done he needs to work under supervision for 12 months + (see link provided by Dorothy)
Old Jan 23rd 2019, 7:23 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,. What visa is your partner going to have? as that might make a difference to what roles/positions he can work in.
Good Luck
Old Jan 23rd 2019, 9:23 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by brits1
Hi,. What visa is your partner going to have? as that might make a difference to what roles/positions he can work in.
Good Luck
If she is on a 482 TSS (which sounds likely as it replaced the 457) he will be on the same; and whatever visa it is the licensing process will be the same.