British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Help (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/help-277844/)

Kingpin Jan 16th 2005 10:47 am

Help

Hi all hope all is going well for all of you trying to move to oz.Need a bit of help an some things and would be grateful for any help

1, I see a lot of talk about ti jobs but can anyone tell me what the job situation is like for shop,driving,wharehouse kind of work is like.
2,I was born in oz and have a oz passport so i can just go there when i want no visa needed we have been told that we can just go on a holiday and my wife can get a visa in oz and as we have been married for 8 years and together for 13 there should be no problem here getting a visa we were told this by a couple of agents that help you fill out all your forms fo the move and just hope it is that simple so would be good if anyone can confirm this
3,I have looked at websites on renting a apartment and i dont know i see people saying rent is high in perth but i have seen 2 and 3 bed apartments new ones and very nice ones for rent for no more than $270 a week or are there other things i have to consider other than just the rent and the nornal bills.
4,What sort o price should i look to pay for a car to get around in we dont need a new car a cheap one will do to start.
5,We have a hotel booked for the first 5 days can anyone tell me how long it takes to sort out a rental property we will not be buying for a while and give me some good plases to live not to far from the city and some on the coast and on the river just to get me started thanks.
6,Last thing anyone flying out on the 15th april 2005 12.30 from heathrow
thanks for all your help
p.s sorry this is all in perth lol and just one more thing this will be my first time back in oz since i was 3 and now have no family in oz so its just me and the wife

jensteve Jan 16th 2005 11:09 am

Re: Help

1, I see a lot of talk about ti jobs but can anyone tell me what the job situation is like for shop,driving,wharehouse kind of work is like.

Hubby just been employed doing removals/warehouse $14.50 hour!!
another warehouse job offered the same, a driving job during the evening was giving $10!!!! retrain yourself for something different!

3,I have looked at websites on renting a apartment and i dont know i see people saying rent is high in perth but i have seen 2 and 3 bed apartments new ones and very nice ones for rent for no more than $270 a week or are there other things i have to consider other than just the rent and the nornal bills.

We are renting at mo in Perth although we have bought a house, we pay $280 week, our purchased house is rented out at $210 week so just about covers the nortgage until we can move in, stuck in our lease here.

4,What sort o price should i look to pay for a car to get around in we dont need a new car a cheap one will do to start.

We spent 13K on a 3year old car, which will be part exchanged for a 4x4 at a later date, we also got an older wagon, $4500 for hubby, that is going as well and getting something smaller.

5,We have a hotel booked for the first 5 days can anyone tell me how long it takes to sort out a rental property we will not be buying for a while and give me some good plases to live not to far from the city and some on the coast and on the river just to get me started thanks.

Ours took about a week to sort out, but I reckon that was very quick, depending on where work for you will be, look around the areas just out a bit, I am in Padbury, most suburbs by me are nice and easy reach of the freeway for the city.

Jenny

Pollyana Jan 16th 2005 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by Kingpin
Hi all hope all is going well for all of you trying to move to oz.Need a bit of help an some things and would be grateful for any help

2,I was born in oz and have a oz passport so i can just go there when i want no visa needed we have been told that we can just go on a holiday and my wife can get a visa in oz and as we have been married for 8 years and together for 13 there should be no problem here getting a visa we were told this by a couple of agents that help you fill out all your forms fo the move and just hope it is that simple so would be good if anyone can confirm this

Your wife probably will be able to get a visa with no problems at all, and after that length of marriage she will probably get PR at once.
However, what you are proposing seems to indicate she will be entering Oz on a tourist visa. If she enters with you, and all your worldly goods, on a tourist visa, no immigration officer worth their salt will believe she intends to return home to the UK, and they may well refuse her entry.
She might get away with it, but it would be better (and cheaper) to apply for a spouse visa while still in the UK.

You may want to post this bit on the Immigration Forum, for advice from an agent. I know you said you have spoken to a couple, but their advice conflicts with that given by agents on here like George Lomvard and Alan Collett.

Kingpin Jan 16th 2005 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Your wife probably will be able to get a visa with no problems at all, and after that length of marriage she will probably get PR at once.
However, what you are proposing seems to indicate she will be entering Oz on a tourist visa. If she enters with you, and all your worldly goods, on a tourist visa, no immigration officer worth their salt will believe she intends to return home to the UK, and they may well refuse her entry.
She might get away with it, but it would be better (and cheaper) to apply for a spouse visa while still in the UK.

You may want to post this bit on the Immigration Forum, for advice from an agent. I know you said you have spoken to a couple, but their advice conflicts with that given by agents on here like George Lomvard and Alan Collett.

Hi know what you mean but we are both going on return flights and she will be on a holiday visa because that is what it is really and if we realy like it we will stay and then have our stuff shipped so we will only be taking stuff for a hoilday anyway really

JAJ Jan 16th 2005 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana

I concur with Polly. If you want a simple life get the spouse visa in London - I cannot understand why so many people want to apply onshore from tourist status when it's so much more complicated (and often slower) to do it that way.

The AHC London normally process spouse applications fairly quickly. Getting police checks in advance is worthwhile, medicals too.

Either get the spouse visa before leaving the UK, or go to Perth on a genuine holiday, and if you like it return to the UK and apply for the spouse visa then.

Jeremy