Help

Old Sep 29th 2004, 9:46 pm
Forum Regular

DONBEN is on a distinguished road
Question Help

HI WAITING FOR VISA TO BE ACCEPTED PROBLEM IS I REALLY WANT TO GO BUT HAVING SECOND THOUGHTS FAMILY ETC HOPING TO NURSE IN PERTH CAN ANYONE TELL ME GRASS IS GREENER ON OTHER SIDE PLEEEEASE HELP ME MAKE MY MIND UP :scared:
Old Sep 29th 2004, 9:52 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help

Green grass? Forgotten what that looks like.....its all rather brown here, in more ways than one.
Anyone able to reassure this new poster about rose-tinted life in Oz?
Old Sep 29th 2004, 9:52 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Hi DB,

No, it's horrible over there. The dregs of the world living in a barren sandpit.

All joking aside I don't really think anyone can give you the reply you want. It is you that have to make that decision.

Your standards and perceptions of life will be exactly that - yours.

Keep reading the forum, use the search facility to look up specific things and join in generally.

You will soon realise that the vast majority on here are very eager to go but also have moments of doubt. That is natural.

Very best wishes to you.
Old Sep 29th 2004, 9:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DONBEN
HI WAITING FOR VISA TO BE ACCEPTED PROBLEM IS I REALLY WANT TO GO BUT HAVING SECOND THOUGHTS FAMILY ETC HOPING TO NURSE IN PERTH CAN ANYONE TELL ME GRASS IS GREENER ON OTHER SIDE PLEEEEASE HELP ME MAKE MY MIND UP :scared:
Everyone will have different answers to this............one persons green grass is anothers desert...........

Totally depends what you want out of life...... we are all wondering exact same as you no doubt. I hope you get some balanced replies to help you make your mind up.....some poeple will just scare you off for the sake of it....ignore these people.

You need to read balanced well thought out replies that give good and bad points in perspective. As with most things, there's good and bad all over.
eg:
UK = good for nice green countryside
Oz = good for nice scrubland/bush

UK = good for ancient history
Oz = not so good for ancient history

.......no help at all, but keep things balanced.
Old Sep 29th 2004, 9:58 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Green grass? Forgotten what that looks like.....its all rather brown here, in more ways than one.
Anyone able to reassure this new poster about rose-tinted life in Oz?
Slightly off topic but Poll you missed my 1000 post mark.

to the original poster, I have no answer for you, If you really want to do it you will find the answers, Unfortunately no one can make your mind up for you.

Good luck Kala
Old Sep 29th 2004, 9:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

marysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nice

I think you need to imagine different grass not greener grass
we all have doubts but its the same about making any major changes in life
we are working on the philosophy of you dont know till you try, but I do know that I dont want to be looking at this grass in ten years wishing I tried something different but I realise I may be back looking at this green grass remembering rather than regretting
good luck and best wishes Mary and stu
Old Sep 29th 2004, 10:05 pm
scoobydoo

The grass is not greener on this side!!!

You need to look at it as an experience and to go for the adventure. Do not expect anything to be better and then you will not be disapointed...you never know then as it may turn out better than you expected!!

To go will make you feel that you have done something great and different with your life - it doesn't have to be a life long commitment. You can go back to the UK if you do not like it. Keep an open mind about the whole thing and do your research. Those scary feelings are all part of it!

Good luck x

Old Sep 29th 2004, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

anypan is an unknown quantity at this point

I think 'everybody' wll or does have the same thoughts/fears for the new and unknown. I lived in dublin for 12 months and had the same thoughts then, and have been planning on moving back to Oz for about 20 years.

When you get there and settle in then you will probably kick yourself for being daft.

We are looking forward to going asap and validating the visas in 3 weeks. Angela and the kids have never been further tan France so its even more scarey for them, but we know that if we back out of our plans our grandparents will give us a lot of grief as they know that we can make a good life out of it, and we will never forgive ourselves.

As they say if you go and dont like it you can always come back but if you never go and give it a try, you will ALWAYS regret it.

Go for it, Australia is not that far and family can always visit.

Good luck
Old Sep 29th 2004, 10:24 pm
Forum Regular

DONBEN is on a distinguished road

THANKS FOR THE ADVICE ANY NURSES OUT THERE WHO HAVE REGRETTED MOVING OUT THERE IS IT A BETTER WAY OF LIFE COMPARED TO UK :scared: BEEN QUALIFIED 13 WHAT PAY CAN I EXPECT GENERAL MEDICAL NURSE
Old Sep 29th 2004, 10:45 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

THANKS FOR THE ADVICE ANY NURSES OUT THERE WHO HAVE REGRETTED MOVING OUT THERE IS IT A BETTER WAY OF LIFE COMPARED TO UK :scared: BEEN QUALIFIED 13 WHAT PAY CAN I EXPECT GENERAL MEDICAL NURSE
I will be a nurse soon and planning to move to Aus. I can only go by what I've heard about nursing in Aus, which is not a great deal.....

The pay can be less, the same, or even more, depending on where you work. One nurse I know in Tas earns significantly less than what she earned in the UK, but the cost of living in Tas is lower and pretty much compensates for the differential. Another nurse who worked in Sydney for 6 years earned more for the same job in the UK. However, this was to compensate for the much higher cost of living in Sydney, rather like 'London weighting' I suppose. So no overall answer there, sorry.

She also said that the wards she worked on were better staffed with a 2:1 patient:nurse ratio and better equipped than UK hospitals. However, this is just one example by one nurse from one hospital. I would advise you to get to know lots of nurses on this site and elsewhere and hear about individual experiences as well as checking all official sources for info of course.

As for 'greener grass'.......all I can say is, some things will seem better, others worse, but many things will just be 'different'.....what you decide is better, worse or different is entirely personal and probably very different from me.

I see going to Aus as an adventure.....not into the unknown, as I've been there before. Some things I loved, some things I hated and some things, you guessed it, were just different. Naturally I wouldn't be planning to go back for good if for me, the cons outweighed the pros. I think you will enjoy reading the adventures of other members on this site. It's very inspiring and highly addictive!

Have fun!
Tony.

Last edited by tonyk38; Sep 29th 2004 at 10:48 pm.
Old Sep 30th 2004, 7:34 am
Down Under and Lovin It

Jacko1 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by marysidey
I think you need to imagine different grass not greener grass
we all have doubts but its the same about making any major changes in life
we are working on the philosophy of you dont know till you try, but I do know that I dont want to be looking at this grass in ten years wishing I tried something different but I realise I may be back looking at this green grass remembering rather than regretting
good luck and best wishes Mary and stu

Exactly how we feel too

We are going with our eyes OPEN and have a two year plan, if things are not what we thought we will return

PJ
Old Sep 30th 2004, 12:50 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

BEEN QUALIFIED 13 WHAT PAY CAN I EXPECT GENERAL MEDICAL NURSE

hi
you might be better posting this particular question on the nursing forum.
otherwise the links to each states nursing board is on the anc website.
we are eventually heading towards adelaide, south aus, and a nurse with my experience should be around $50k...that was from about 18 months ago so it may have gone up (i have been qualified 14 years)

as others have said, you need to look at it as different rather than better.....good luck!

sue