Help!

Old Dec 5th 2002, 3:17 am
Just Joined

Choppa is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Help!

My Fiance'e is coming over here (Aus) in Feb on a ETA, can we get married and can she stay? a stupid question? what do we need to do?
Thankyou in advance.
Old Dec 5th 2002, 8:54 am
Just Joined

Malcy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Help!

Originally posted by Choppa
My Fiance'e is coming over here (Aus) in Feb on a ETA, can we get married and can she stay? a stupid question? what do we need to do?
Thankyou in advance.
G'day choppa. i have some friends in the same situation, well theirs lots of messing around with applications and red tape but in the end you'll get through and will most likely have it accepted especially if your naturalized it will be more easier. i wish you all the best and have a look at this maze of info www.immi.gov.au all the best. mal.
Old Dec 18th 2002, 6:36 am
Just Joined

sarah b is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Help!

You might want to look into a "Fiance"category visa under the family migration stream. This allows her to enter the country and remain for a period of 9 months during which time you must get married.

If you do just decide to get her over on an ETA - be aware that just having a marriage certificate will not guarantee your wife permanent residecy. Friends of mine (aussie citizens) that married foreigners prior to trying to get them to OZ still had problems with immigration and had to go through interviews etc....

I would strongly urge you to do some research (go to the dept of immigration web site and get the official brochures and application forms for "Partner"migration) before going through with all of this. As it really is a minefield, and at least you will be prepared. Trust me, you wont get any sympathy from Immigration if you dont go throught the correct procedures and channels