Reload this Page >

hello from yorkshire

hello from yorkshire

Old Jan 31st 2005, 9:34 pm
Forum Regular

crozz is on a distinguished road
Default Re: hello from yorkshire

Originally Posted by leannefr
Hi there crozz, ive been to keighley many a times for work. Its a pain travelling from Wakefield to Keighley in a works van, theres no easy way but that new bypass helps a bit.(or should i say helped)
We are currently now in Brisbane and dont regret it for one bit. Loving everything.
Hope everything goes ok for you.
Darren
hiya Darren cheers mate yeh that bypass has been a godsend for those travelling into bradford luckily i travel the other way towards halifax much quieter in a morning.
Old Jan 31st 2005, 9:38 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by crozz
hiya i know the place well spent 7 years working in and around bradford based at shearbridge road.dont know last time you visited but its areal eye opener now what a dump.
I think 2002 was the last time I was there. They closed the Odeon during my time there, and a friend was telling me the other day its still empty and rotting away
I know Shearbridge Road well, I used to live off Great Horton Rd and drove down it every day on way to the Mgt Centre
Old Jan 31st 2005, 9:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by GillettFamily
Hi there the Gilbert Family

We are at Terrigal and loving it. Only the monies have got a bit tight as the job situation has been a bit slow - but hopefully picking up now (Hubby) had 1 interview yesterday in Sydney and another 3 on Wednesday so you know what they say 'everything comes at once - like buses'.

The beaches are lovely here and have been to Bateau Bay a couple of times.
If you want to get in touch PM us with your number.

And to Crozz

Thanks for the info on property situation in Keighley - we have a buyer for our house but alas they havnt sold theirs yet, they have just changed agents and have had a couple of viewers so hopefully it will pick up soon!!!
We need the money to put down on this gorgeous house overlooking the bay,
Its so frustrating seeing all these lovely houses and not being able to do anything!!!

Good luck and keep in touch

Have another one on us
hello again look on the brightside at least your there enjoying all that glorious weather its dry over here thats all a bit nippy.darent put house on the market yet although the way we feel at the moment i could leave it tomorrow oh and ill definetly have a couple of tetleys on you over the weekend.i suppose youll be supping tooheys wont you.
Old Feb 1st 2005, 2:59 am
Member who went to Aus

cutgrass is an unknown quantity at this point

Here's some advice for when you get here (from a Yorkshire man living in Melbourne).

Speak slowly. When you switch into Yorkshire saying you might as well be speaking French. They will not understand a word you are saying. I've been here for 9 months now and the accent is slowly being eroded away simply because I need to be understood at work.

I never thought I'd pronounce faster as farster - but there you go.
Old Feb 1st 2005, 6:15 am
been there........

TheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by crozz
hiya i know the place well spent 7 years working in and around bradford based at shearbridge road.dont know last time you visited but its areal eye opener now what a dump.
Crozz, it's been both a dump and a great city many times in its past! I remember it from before WWII and the devastation caused by the bombing, something it never quite seemed to recover from. You say it's a dump now; has that anything to do with the redevelopment of the city centre? According to the T&A (www.thisisbradford.co.uk) I thought it was doing splendidly! And I have a book of photographs showing the redevelopment that took place in the late nineteenth century, the laying of the foundation stone for the Town Hall in 1870 and the installation of the bells in September, 1873: -"A carillon machine with 3 barrels enabled Bradfordians to hear a different tune each day for three weeks. The total cost of the bells and the clock was 4,014 Pounds Sterling." Wouldn't get much for that amount these days!
I was born near Bolton Junction, attended Wellington Road Primary School, then went on to B.G.G.S.. Married and went to live at Odsal Top, just to make sure we were handy for Bradford Northern's home matches.
Maybe we should start a virtual White Rose Club, as there's so many of us.
Eh up, then!
Old Feb 1st 2005, 9:06 am

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Crozz and family
what is your trade my other half is a carpenter and joiner have you visited Tas before? just wondering why you chose it for your STNI as we seem to be a minority. We visited last year loved it.

I also fancy living around Hobart area although like i say depends where the work is first.

Kay
Old Feb 1st 2005, 9:10 am

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cutgrass
Here's some advice for when you get here (from a Yorkshire man living in Melbourne).

Speak slowly. When you switch into Yorkshire saying you might as well be speaking French. They will not understand a word you are saying. I've been here for 9 months now and the accent is slowly being eroded away simply because I need to be understood at work.

LOL we stayed with my partners cousin in perth the other year his partner is Australian and her daughter couldnt understand my accent she was only 5 yrs old so funny the expression on her face when ever i said owt like i was from another planet.

Kay
Old Feb 1st 2005, 9:36 am
MVFC

Carl B is a jewel in the roughCarl B is a jewel in the roughCarl B is a jewel in the roughCarl B is a jewel in the roughCarl B is a jewel in the rough

I'm goosed then! I've been told on a few occasions that I have quite a strong Yorkshire accent. In fact there's people in Leeds who sometimes struggle to understand me.
Old Feb 1st 2005, 10:01 am

Elaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud of

My sister's been here 14 years, I arrived last September (we're from Ilkley) and the one thing she says that really cracks me up is Farster as in Farster Parster. I keep telling her there's no 'r' in Fasta Pasta. Think it will take me a long while to succumb to that one.

You don't reckon there's much chance of teaching the Aussies to sing On Ilkla Moor Baht'at then?

Elaine M
Old Feb 1st 2005, 10:09 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by Elaine M
You don't reckon there's much chance of teaching the Aussies to sing On Ilkla Moor Baht'at then?

Elaine M
Ye, ye,ye...nah

Old Feb 1st 2005, 10:46 am
PENNINE ELECTRICAL

Location: Was Wakefield, Now Bayside,Capalaba, Brisbane since 2004
Darren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant future

Ha Ha.. I know exactly the feeling.If one more australian asks me what part of scotland im from, im gonna crack. its not they dont even ask if im scottish its straight to the first question.
And at work i have to make myself understood proper by speaking a bit of twang.
like getting stuff from the varn not van, dont know where the "r" comes from??
but im also teaching them yorkshire too which is well funny.
its reet.
daz
Old Feb 1st 2005, 5:27 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by possoms
Hi Crozz and family
what is your trade my other half is a carpenter and joiner have you visited Tas before? just wondering why you chose it for your STNI as we seem to be a minority. We visited last year loved it.

I also fancy living around Hobart area although like i say depends where the work is first.

Kay
hiya possoms found out by accident really enquiring about rsms visa put my cv over the internet and got a reply back from the skilled development unit in tas they said that my skills has a mech services and ac/plumber was on the shortage list and if i was willing to settle in tas they might sponsor my visa.
Old Feb 1st 2005, 6:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by leannefr
Ha Ha.. I know exactly the feeling.If one more australian asks me what part of scotland im from, im gonna crack. its not they dont even ask if im scottish its straight to the first question.
And at work i have to make myself understood proper by speaking a bit of twang.
like getting stuff from the varn not van, dont know where the "r" comes from??
but im also teaching them yorkshire too which is well funny.
its reet.
daz
i stayed with family in melbourne some time ago and i always got them with tha does tha know they never understood me
Old Feb 1st 2005, 7:02 pm
Forum Regular

hey up yes i spent some time in melbourne a few years ago eltham actually do you know it and when i first arrived and the first time i spoke they just looked at me as if i was from another planet.i must admit after a year of being in oz i did speak more slowly.i also picked up some of the ozzy ssayings without realising it so got some strange looks when i arrived back in the uk and said to my brother see you in the pub this arvo no worries mate.
Old Feb 1st 2005, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by TheCrone
Crozz, it's been both a dump and a great city many times in its past! I remember it from before WWII and the devastation caused by the bombing, something it never quite seemed to recover from. You say it's a dump now; has that anything to do with the redevelopment of the city centre? According to the T&A (www.thisisbradford.co.uk) I thought it was doing splendidly! And I have a book of photographs showing the redevelopment that took place in the late nineteenth century, the laying of the foundation stone for the Town Hall in 1870 and the installation of the bells in September, 1873: -"A carillon machine with 3 barrels enabled Bradfordians to hear a different tune each day for three weeks. The total cost of the bells and the clock was 4,014 Pounds Sterling." Wouldn't get much for that amount these days!
I was born near Bolton Junction, attended Wellington Road Primary School, then went on to B.G.G.S.. Married and went to live at Odsal Top, just to make sure we were handy for Bradford Northern's home matches.
Maybe we should start a virtual White Rose Club, as there's so many of us.
Eh up, then!
i agree they have spent quite a lot of money doing up the centenary square but if you go to places like leeds rd;little horton lane and white abbey you wouldnt believe the amount of litter there is blowing about has well as the areas been in apoor state.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.