Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Hello, we are new and moving to Sydney

Wikiposts

Hello, we are new and moving to Sydney

Old Oct 24th 2007, 3:55 am
BE Enthusiast

MartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Hello, we are new and moving to Sydney

Originally Posted by emigratingherberts
Hello, we are newbies to this site. We are hopefully moving to Sydney around Christmas time (subject to visa approval).
We are a family of 5 (me, oh, kids (12, 8 and 3) and are looking to settle somewhere on the northern beaches not too far from CBD. We have been looking at Dee Why, Curl Curl, Manly, Collaroy. Wondered if anyone had any experience of these areas, schools etc. They look very nice but it would be great to hear from anyone who actually lives there.

Look forward to chatting to you over the next few weeks.
We have just arrived back from a three week trip to Sydney (we are also moving in December). I can only mirror the comments on here. We did look at French's Forest and some of the areas not on a train line but dismissed them because they would make the commute too difficult (even though the housing was slightly cheaper). Living by the beach is a nice idea but I suspect that commuting by bus would lose its charm very quickly!

The areas like St Ives, Pymble are very nice and have the benefit of good links to the city, good schools etc although the property prices reflect that. At the end of the day it will depend on how much you have to spend on a property versus what you want out of life in Australia.
Old Oct 24th 2007, 5:10 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, I feel I've stirred up a hornets nest here There are so many differring opinions. I must admit OH is quite happy not to have to sit on a train to commute, he rather fancies a ferry or even a bus for a change. Also weekends on a laid-back sandy beach with not too many tourists sounds like it may be worth a slightly more difficult commute.

Any opinions on Mosman or Balmoral from anyone? They look nice and seem to have lots of schools and the commute looks very easy. OH is going out for 2 weeks on Saturday so we are trying to narrow down his search a bit.

Thanks
Of course we have differing opinions - and everyone of us is right

I would absolutely adore Mosman or Balmoral but can't afford the mortgage! Balmoral has a great inland kids beach, loads of visitors too. If you have the money go for it.

Keep your options open in the Northern Beaches area it is amazing the differences one can find. You can go from busy burb to sleepy hollow or sleepy burb to acerage all in the space of 5 kms

I fancy Terry Hills which is 5 k from us but could be the wilds of nowhere if you get the right place. It is also 5 k nearer the beach!
Old Oct 24th 2007, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

kateandpaul is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Hello, we are new and moving to Sydney

Hi, We're moving to Sydney too, OH is flying out on 8th November I follow with our 2 children in January. We have the same dilema which area,school etc.
Good luck
Old Oct 24th 2007, 10:47 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Any opinions on Mosman or Balmoral from anyone? They look nice and seem to have lots of schools and the commute looks very easy.
Mosman and Balmoral are perfect suburbs.

Close to city, close to beaches, close to harbour, lovely shops, gorgeous houses etc, etc.

BUT housing is probably the second priciest in the whole country, for all the above reasons. Great if you can afford it.
Old Oct 24th 2007, 12:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

gillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud of

Wow, I feel I've stirred up a hornets nest here There are so many differring opinions. I must admit OH is quite happy not to have to sit on a train to commute, he rather fancies a ferry or even a bus for a change. Also weekends on a laid-back sandy beach with not too many tourists sounds like it may be worth a slightly more difficult commute.

Any opinions on Mosman or Balmoral from anyone? They look nice and seem to have lots of schools and the commute looks very easy. OH is going out for 2 weeks on Saturday so we are trying to narrow down his search a bit.

Thanks
I love Mosman and Balmoral too, and you can commute to the city by ferry frm Mosman!
Old Oct 24th 2007, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

Astronaut is an unknown quantity at this point

Are there suburbs along this railway line (perhaps Chatswood to Hornsby, or Epping lines) where you can get a nice 3 or 4 bed family house within walking distance of the station for around A$800?

Seeing posts where people mention property in Pymble for A$1.5m is kinda scary!!
Old Oct 24th 2007, 9:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

gillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Astronaut
Are there suburbs along this railway line (perhaps Chatswood to Hornsby, or Epping lines) where you can get a nice 3 or 4 bed family house within walking distance of the station for around A$800?

Seeing posts where people mention property in Pymble for A$1.5m is kinda scary!!
Have a look at www.realestate.com.au
Old Oct 24th 2007, 10:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Astronaut

He He - maybe you were referring to my thread.

I genuinely would like to spend $800 k and we looked at a couple of properties that were less than $1.0 million all on the rail line Chatswood to Hornsby and I would say they tended to fall into two brackets. Either they were a) Too small (or rather smaller than what we have at the moment); or b) Needing some improvement (ranging from needing new carpets and a damn good clean up to needing to be gutted).

The properties I looked at (in the $1.2 - $1.5 range) were all very nice houses that you could move straight into with minimal or zero work.

At the end of the day therefore I would say it is possible to get something in that range but it depends on your expectations. You might need either to compromise or to be prepared to invest (time and money) to get it how you would like it.