Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Hello there! - Living in Aus. How do you handle homesickness?

Hello there! - Living in Aus. How do you handle homesickness?

Old Mar 25th 2010, 4:07 am
Feeble Minded

SillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello there! - Living in Aus. How do you handle homesickness?

Originally Posted by victoriat
Things are so tidy in Australia! Lower unemployment! no crime! amazing schools! friendly people! and green, green everywhere!
Oh God! I hope to be blessed to go someday...
I wish you to feel much better soon.
Who is going to break the bad news that some aspects of this may not be quite accurate?

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar
I think you would love Townsville.
You are too cruel, Sir!
Old Mar 25th 2010, 5:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SillyOldBag
Who is going to break the bad news that some aspects of this may not be quite accurate?

You are too cruel, Sir!
Maybe they just forgot to put the /sarc/ tags in!!!
Old Mar 25th 2010, 5:34 am
Feeble Minded

SillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
Maybe they just forgot to put the /sarc/ tags in!!!
I can only hope that that is true... unfortunately I have a suspicion that it was said in all innocence!
Old Mar 25th 2010, 6:01 am
Forum Regular

victoriat is an unknown quantity at this point

I miss Adelaide...
Have you been in Greece, recently?
And I don't mean the islands.
We don't even have a park in my town.But it's not just the green.

I am so sorry to say that, but everythink works here...by luck.
If you see the news you will be dipressed.Crime, crime, crime...by foreigners.
I am so afraid for the future, especially for my children.
Will I have a job?
And you must pray don't get sick and go to the hospital...
(Doctors are heroes here..)
I don't want to continue this list.

If you are in Australia and you don't like your town because of any reason you can always move.But if your life is in dangerous in your country and can't leave from it what do you do?Who would like to change with me guys??
I am ready to give my house and my money.The only I want is a permanent residence in Australia.And I am going to take my life in my hands.
Stop complain guys and I don't mean just homesickness.This is a healthy feeling.
You haven't realized in what world you live and sincerely hope never face the real problems.
Old Mar 25th 2010, 8:09 am
Just Joined

Mark Janet is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome back at your favorite place,
I am also home sick and i do only one thing which is internet marketing services provide to all over world.

Thanks,
Mark Janet
Old Mar 25th 2010, 8:45 am
BE Forum Addict

pproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jondaz
I have just joined to say hello! I am from the UK and moved to Oz 10 years ago. I went back to the UK for one year but decided to return to come back to Oz. Now I am really homesick as I got used to being near my old friends and family again. Keen to hear from people also a little Blue and how you overcome it xxx
Can't say I've ever had it as have good friends here and there and keep in touch with UK ones over internet and family and friends visit here. So haven't had a major urge to return so far although I'm not saying I'll never go back for a trip. So I would say keep in touch with all your family and friends as much as possible while living life best you can here.
Old Mar 26th 2010, 8:41 am
Just Joined

jondaz has a brilliant futurejondaz has a brilliant futurejondaz has a brilliant futurejondaz has a brilliant futurejondaz has a brilliant futurejondaz has a brilliant futurejondaz has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by BigH68
welcome mate, however if you are homesick after 10 years then I think you know what you need to do
Bloody good point!!!!
Old Mar 26th 2010, 8:59 am
Just Joined

jondaz has a brilliant futurejondaz has a brilliant futurejondaz has a brilliant futurejondaz has a brilliant futurejondaz has a brilliant futurejondaz has a brilliant futurejondaz has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Sue
Hi jondaz,

Welcome to BE. I hope you enjoy being part of our community.

I am in the USA so can't comment on living in Australia, but I can relate to the homsickness. I found it was extremely hard to adjust in the beginning, it was almost overwhelming, but as time went on it got easier to deal with. I still get homesick from time to time, usually after a trip to the UK or when relatives have visited us here, or now and again after talking to them on the phone. So for me homesickness comes and goes. I've learnt over the years to go with the flow and not to try and bury it away, and remind myself of all the positive things of living in the USA.

Some don't ever get homesick, others have it come and go, and a few suffer from it all of the time. Its completely natural to miss one's family and friends and I suppose its how you cope with it that can make or break how you settle in your new country. Many focus on the positive aspects of why they moved abroad, but for some homesickness never goes away and in the end they decide that they want to move back .... and that's okay too.

I am going to move this thread for you to the Australia forum so that others can share how they cope with feelings of homesickness.

I hope you enjoy your stay with us and please don't hesitate to give me a shout if you have any site questions.
Thanks Sue - what a nice message!!! I think it was going back for the one year that did it for me...and after 6 months of being back in Oz we had 3 family members come visit so when they left it felt really sad... I know what you mean - you need to consider all the good things you have and ensure you maintain regular contact. How good is Skype!! Thanks for all the other messages on here guys! Xxx
Old Mar 28th 2010, 5:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Tass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to behold
Exclamation Re: Hello there! - Living in Aus. How do you handle homesickness?

"Things are so tidy in Australia! Lower unemployment! no crime! amazing schools! friendly people! and green, green everywhere!
I wish you to feel much better soon."

OMG !!!! What programmes have you been watching ?? and what colour are the glasses you're wearing ?!?!?!?!?!!?
Old Mar 28th 2010, 5:58 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Tass
"Things are so tidy in Australia! Lower unemployment! no crime! amazing schools! friendly people! and green, green everywhere!

OMG !!!! What programmes have you been watching ?? and what colour are the glasses you're wearing ?!?!?!?!?!!?
You may be right
But who is going to explain Australia is the dreaming destination of so many million people around the world?Are they all blind?
Anyway, I can understand if you don't want any other migrants in Australia.It is possible I would feel the same.But there are a lot of skilled people who would be good Australians because they love your country.
Definitely if you defame your country does not make you good citizen.
Old Mar 28th 2010, 6:39 am
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

You may be right
But who is going to explain Australia is the dreaming destination of so many million people around the world?Are they all blind?
Anyway, I can understand if you don't want any other migrants in Australia.It is possible I would feel the same.But there are a lot of skilled people who would be good Australians because they love your country.
Aus is not a paradise at all, it has its own share of problems, just like anywhere else. I could make a very big list of them all but it would only get the normal reaction of, 'why dont you buger off then', that always happens.

If you think Aus is better than anywhere else you are very mistaken, somethings are better somethings are worse somethings are just different.
Old Mar 28th 2010, 6:44 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Tass

Probably been watching Wanted down under or a place in the sun Australia or one of those shows.
Old Mar 28th 2010, 7:05 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dave99
Aus is not a paradise at all, it has its own share of problems, just like anywhere else. I could make a very big list of them all but it would only get the normal reaction of, 'why dont you buger off then', that always happens.

If you think Aus is better than anywhere else you are very mistaken, somethings are better somethings are worse somethings are just different.
I understand that.
If you compare it with my country is surely a paradise in all sectors!
Comparably with UK what could we say?I see that many from UK wish to emigrate to Australia.Why?I would be interested to know.
Thanks
Old Mar 28th 2010, 7:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Tass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to behold
Wink Re: Hello there! - Living in Aus. How do you handle homesickness?

You may be right
Sorry to disappoint BUT I am a Scottish Ex-pat SKILLED migrant. I too once had the wish to " live the dream" ! Almost 6 years on, I hate to tell you, it's not all beaches and BBQ's , it's damn hard work ! It takes years to re-build your life and I'm just giving you a reality check before you throw away everything you have achieved to chase a lifestyle you may never get.With hind sight , I wish someone had been so honest with me, to make me think about things I'd never considered. You will still encounter crime, high un-employment, bad schools,un friendly people and believe it or not DROUGHT !! Everything is most definitely not green !!
That said, once you have the "want " to move, no-one can change it for you. You have to experience it yourself or you will forever be wondering "what if ? "
All the best to you but dae yersel a favour and look into it a wee bit more !!
Tass.
Old Mar 28th 2010, 7:38 am
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar
I think you would love Townsville.
Or Victoriat,if you happen to find "that"place you are describing,let me know and I'll move there myself!It ain't Australia,believe me!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.