Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Hello from the sunny Sunshine Coast!

Hello from the sunny Sunshine Coast!

Old Nov 9th 2003, 11:55 am
Crocodile Member

Location: Wurtulla, Sunshine Coast. Crikey Terri, That's a BIG ONE!
Andy_Hanrahan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hello from the sunny Sunshine Coast!

Hello Everyone - remember me?

Yes, after just over a month offline and in Oz, the Croc is back!

Just a few initial impressions of how life has gone for us since we arrived here on the Sunshine Coast. within the first week of arriving here we managed to buy a car, find somewhere to live and organize a school for our 7 year old daughter. Anyone coming here with kids will know how petrified I was on her first day. I felt completely sick!! But I'm pleased to say she has settled in brilliantly and has started to make friends. No problems with bullying or teasing.

We had no problem renting a place, having brought with us a reference from our mortgage company (we've never rented before). We did offer to put down 3 months rental in advance but it wasn't required. I think the fact that we offered it went down well.

Workwise, things have panned out not a bit like I expected. There is not a lot of work up here in Caloundra, even Siobhan has had trouble getting work as a Nurse, but I did get offerred a job at a call centre down th road in Kawana. I've done quite a lot of this kind of work before, and it's not my idea of fun, but I was going to take it. Then things took an unexpected turn. The company I worked for in England, (doing IT Training) have just opened up an office in Brisbane, and more or less on a whim, I decided to send them my CV. To my surprise they called me the next day and asked me to come in for an interview. I had no real intention of doing it but when I went along it sounded really good. $12k more money, Much more relaxed than at home. shorter hours etc. Plus they are thinking of opening a satellite office in Mooloolaba, just down the road from where I live! To cut a long story short, I found myself in the position of being offered two jobs, one that I didn't want but was 5 minutes down the road, and another which I did want, but was a long commute away. Sod's law! Anyway, I've decided to go for the Brisbane one, even though I swore blind I would try not to commute, I'll see how it goes.

One thing that has been very difficult is trying to get childcare. I don't know what it's like in other parts of Australia but every single childcare centre here has a waiting list as long as your arm. We have had to re-think our work plans so that one of us can be at home with the kids untill we can get a place.

Thinking back to some of the negative things I've read on Expats before I came, I would still have to say I disagree with a lot of them from what I've seen so far. Life here is definately a lot more relaxed. I have not encountered any anti-pommie sentiment so far, and everyone has been a lot more friendly than most people I knew in London. As for working longer hours, well, all the Australians I've met would laugh at that idea, but I guess it depends on the line of work you're in. Money-wise, I have found some things to be cheaper than in the UK. Other things are more expensive (sadly, one of those things is Mcvities chocolate digestives - DRAT!), so it kind of evens itself out.

I think one of the things that could give rise to major disappointment is something that doesn't really hit you until you're here - Australia is not an extension of the UK. You are starting again from scratch, and you can't expect to pick up where you left off. If you are a career person (which I'm not) you may end up a couple of rungs back down the ladder. If you're not prepared for that, then maybe it's not for you.

OK, loads more to tell you about, but in a nutshell, so far so good. Watch this space!

Andy
Old Nov 9th 2003, 1:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of
Default Re: Hello from the sunny Sunshine Coast!

Originally posted by Andy_Hanrahan

Just a few initial impressions of how life has gone for us since we arrived here on the Sunshine Coast. within the first week of arriving here we managed to buy a car, find somewhere to live and organize a school for our 7 year old daughter. Anyone coming here with kids will know how petrified I was on her first day. I felt completely sick!! But I'm pleased to say she has settled in brilliantly and has started to make friends. No problems with bullying or teasing.

We had no problem renting a place, having brought with us a reference from our mortgage company (we've never rented before). We did offer to put down 3 months rental in advance but it wasn't required. I think the fact that we offered it went down well.

Workwise, things have panned out not a bit like I expected. There is not a lot of work up here in Caloundra, even Siobhan has had trouble getting work as a Nurse, but I did get offerred a job at a call centre down th road in Kawana. I've done quite a lot of this kind of work before, and it's not my idea of fun, but I was going to take it. Then things took an unexpected turn. The company I worked for in England, (doing IT Training) have just opened up an office in Brisbane, and more or less on a whim, I decided to send them my CV. To my surprise they called me the next day and asked me to come in for an interview. I had no real intention of doing it but when I went along it sounded really good. $12k more money, Much more relaxed than at home. shorter hours etc. Plus they are thinking of opening a satellite office in Mooloolaba, just down the road from where I live! To cut a long story short, I found myself in the position of being offered two jobs, one that I didn't want but was 5 minutes down the road, and another which I did want, but was a long commute away. Sod's law! Anyway, I've decided to go for the Brisbane one, even though I swore blind I would try not to commute, I'll see how it goes.

One thing that has been very difficult is trying to get childcare. I don't know what it's like in other parts of Australia but every single childcare centre here has a waiting list as long as your arm. We have had to re-think our work plans so that one of us can be at home with the kids untill we can get a place.

Thinking back to some of the negative things I've read on Expats before I came, I would still have to say I disagree with a lot of them from what I've seen so far. Life here is definately a lot more relaxed. I have not encountered any anti-pommie sentiment so far, and everyone has been a lot more friendly than most people I knew in London. As for working longer hours, well, all the Australians I've met would laugh at that idea, but I guess it depends on the line of work you're in. Money-wise, I have found some things to be cheaper than in the UK. Other things are more expensive (sadly, one of those things is Mcvities chocolate digestives - DRAT!), so it kind of evens itself out.

I think one of the things that could give rise to major disappointment is something that doesn't really hit you until you're here - Australia is not an extension of the UK. You are starting again from scratch, and you can't expect to pick up where you left off. If you are a career person (which I'm not) you may end up a couple of rungs back down the ladder. If you're not prepared for that, then maybe it's not for you.

OK, loads more to tell you about, but in a nutshell, so far so good. Watch this space!

Andy

What a great post Andy! Thanks for keeping us all updated. You sound very positive and it sounds like things have gone extremely well for you.

Might see you out there is a few weeks we are looking to settle in the same area We are renting a Beach House on Moffat beach when we arrive which won't be too far from you!

Good luck with it all.
Old Nov 9th 2003, 1:08 pm
plumber39

Well done Andy, look's like you,ve landed on your feet. Please keep us informed , as your post's are most appreciated.

All the best plumber!

Old Nov 9th 2003, 3:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road

Andy
Hi Andy & family
what a lovely cheery post! its really grey and drizzly here on the sunny south coast so this is just the sort of post i needed to read....not! just kidding!
We cant wait to be in your position and are so pleased to read that Australia isn't an extension of the Uk, thank god for that eh!
do keep in touch and keep smiling!
regards
rach & family
Old Nov 9th 2003, 3:17 pm
WBB

great to hear you are settling in well, and i know what you mean about kids/schools that is one of our biggest worries.

good luck

Old Nov 9th 2003, 3:25 pm
Home in 2010.

The Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really nice

Great post Andy, nice to hear you have landed on your feet and are doing ok. As for the childcare, have heard that before and will have to look into it too. Keep us up to date as you go along.
Nicholls can
Old Nov 9th 2003, 8:21 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Andy and co,
Very honest post - I know I've only got a week here but you are echoing my thoughts exactly.
It is so much more relaxed and friendly than the UK - I've had nothing but smiles extended so far, and when I say "Help I've only just arrived" people have been really helpful.
It is different though, and you do have that feeling of having left everything behind, and making a new start - I was ready for that, but I think some people might not be so prepared for it.

Really pleased your daughter is happy at school, that must put your mind at rest a lot.

Hope things keep going well,
Old Nov 9th 2003, 8:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Teresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the rough

Fab post Andy, thanks

Old Nov 9th 2003, 8:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Nice post - keep 'em coming!!!
Old Nov 9th 2003, 8:44 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

great post!
wondered where you had got to!
good luck...keep us posted, especially about how the kids get on!

sue
Old Nov 9th 2003, 8:55 pm
Loving it in Bundy

teach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of light

Great news Andy,

It's lovely to hear that things can go well so soon after you arrive. I have read a few posts recently that had me thinking "Are we doing the right thing?" I'm so glad I read your post, my spirits are well and truly lifted. Ta very much.

Sarah
Old Nov 9th 2003, 11:22 pm
Crocodile Member

Thanks Everyone , I'll keep you up to date

Andy

QUOTE]Originally posted by Andy_Hanrahan

Andy [/QUOTE]
Old Nov 9th 2003, 11:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Andy, Re: Childcare, the government here (well us the taxpayer) gives basically free childcare to those who dont work!! hence the full childcare centres.

However have you tried the Local Council, they will offer a home based daycare scheme which you may find a place in untill a Childcare centre place comes up. Just ring Caloundra City Council for details. Maroochy Shire council also runs a scheme.
Old Nov 10th 2003, 7:42 am
Crocodile Member

Thanks Dotty, we'll give it a go, although I've heard they're unregulated so it's a bit of a last resort

Andy

Originally posted by dotty
Andy, Re: Childcare, the government here (well us the taxpayer) gives basically free childcare to those who dont work!! hence the full childcare centres.

However have you tried the Local Council, they will offer a home based daycare scheme which you may find a place in untill a Childcare centre place comes up. Just ring Caloundra City Council for details. Maroochy Shire council also runs a scheme.
Old Nov 10th 2003, 8:07 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Thanks Dotty, we'll give it a go, although I've heard they're unregulated so it's a bit of a last resort

Andy
I am sure they have to be checked out and registered and first aid certificate etc cant be too sure tho mine are a bit old for childcare

Have you thought of a Nanny. We hired a brilliant ex teacher (retired lady) she was like a granny to our kids, people will accept as little as $8 $10 dollars an hour, even now. Probably not much dearer than a childcare centre for 2 kids.

Oh and plenty of high schoolers leaving this month, many could be up for a bit of childcare if you were really stuck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.