Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Hello...with questions!

Hello...with questions!

Old Jul 27th 2006, 9:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

windog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to behold
Default Hello...with questions!

Hi, I've been "lurking" the forums for a while now, but thought its about time to become "official"

My wife (wannabeausienurse) and I have decided we would like to emmigrate to Aus (guess thats kind of obvious or I wouldn't be here!). She is currently taking a nursing diploma, and should graduate to registered nurse in feb2007, and 6 months later we should be able to apply for a "skills matching" visa, or thats the best route I can find after weeks going round in circles on the DIMIA web site, (I'm already worried I might fail the medical due to stress!)
Anybody have any experience of this visa? any pitfalls or comments on my thinking?

Unlike the majority of people we are looking at not living in a city, and have been researching the Queensland coastal areas. Karen spent a while in and arround Cairns some years ago, so we have some, if outdated, knowledge of there, but we think that the heat/humidity may be too much for our delicate pommie constitutions!, and have been looking further down the coast.
I would be very interested for any info especially from anyone who has moved/does live there. One area we like the look of is Hervey bay

Well this was only supposed to be a "Hi" and a couple of quick questions, and it seems to have turned into an extract from war & peace...Sorry!
Old Jul 27th 2006, 9:18 pm
sneaking a peek ...

Tiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello...with questions!

Originally Posted by windog
Hi, I've been "lurking" the forums for a while now, but thought its about time to become "official"

My wife (wannabeausienurse) and I have decided we would like to emmigrate to Aus (guess thats kind of obvious or I wouldn't be here!). She is currently taking a nursing diploma, and should graduate to registered nurse in feb2007, and 6 months later we should be able to apply for a "skills matching" visa, or thats the best route I can find after weeks going round in circles on the DIMIA web site, (I'm already worried I might fail the medical due to stress!)
Anybody have any experience of this visa? any pitfalls or comments on my thinking?

Unlike the majority of people we are looking at not living in a city, and have been researching the Queensland coastal areas. Karen spent a while in and arround Cairns some years ago, so we have some, if outdated, knowledge of there, but we think that the heat/humidity may be too much for our delicate pommie constitutions!, and have been looking further down the coast.
I would be very interested for any info especially from anyone who has moved/does live there. One area we like the look of is Hervey bay

Well this was only supposed to be a "Hi" and a couple of quick questions, and it seems to have turned into an extract from war & peace...Sorry!
hello and welcome - i seem to be the welcoming committee for this evening as there doesn't seem to be anyone else about!!

sorry can't help with queensland but i would definitely suggest that visa questions will get more replies if you post on the immigration board: http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32

tiggs
Old Jul 27th 2006, 9:25 pm
visa holder

mark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sorry cant help with Queensland as we arent there yet but just wanted to welcome you to the forum.

You should find the majority of people on here really helpful.

All the best

Joex
Old Jul 27th 2006, 9:40 pm
sneaking a peek ...

Tiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mark 'n' joe
Hi Sorry cant help with Queensland as we arent there yet but just wanted to welcome you to the forum.

You should find the majority of people on here really helpful.

All the best

Joex
i was beginning to think i was the only person posting this evening!! billy no mates!!
Old Jul 27th 2006, 9:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

windog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to behold

Thank you for your kind welcomes!

Yes I probably will ask in the "visa" forum, but the post was only meant to be a "Hi" when I started writing! I guess I am just naturally lomg winded
Old Jul 27th 2006, 9:49 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

welcome to the forum guys......have a lookie at this website www.capricorncoast.com.au
Old Jul 27th 2006, 10:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

suzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by biggy
welcome to the forum guys......have a lookie at this website www.capricorncoast.com.au
Hi there!

There's a website by a guy based on the Sunshine Coast (north of Brissie but south of Cairns so maybe that would be a bit more bearable heat, although it still gets pretty warm!) which might be useful: www.koalakonnections.com.au

Personally I think Noosa and that sort of area are lovely, although too quiet for me. If you're worried about humidity/heat you might be better off looking further south though. At least on the coast you get a breeze.
Old Jul 27th 2006, 10:29 pm
Forum Regular

scorpiogray is a name known to allscorpiogray is a name known to allscorpiogray is a name known to allscorpiogray is a name known to allscorpiogray is a name known to allscorpiogray is a name known to allscorpiogray is a name known to allscorpiogray is a name known to allscorpiogray is a name known to allscorpiogray is a name known to allscorpiogray is a name known to all
Smile Re: Hello...with questions!

hi welcome

here is another website for queensland it run by Jonahs_mummy (claire) its called http://www.goldcoastsmile.com/

Looking for a fantastic Relocation Service on Australia's Gold Coast?
Gold Coast Smile: We can help if you are headed for the Gold Coast!
Visit our re-designed site, for loads of Gold Coast Info, free downloads & e-books!
good luck im heading for just outside brisben its a wee island called bribie island
Old Jul 28th 2006, 12:55 pm
Just Joined

harveylegg is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Hello...with questions!

Hi windog, small world yes we also have to own up to being site virgins until that memorable first message posted last night, phewwww. But not only that i was surprised at the fact your other half is training as a nurse, guess where i work Yeovil Hospital as a staff nurse, and we only live in langport. It seems you are a bit further down the research road than us as we have not really decided on destination yet and Oz is slightly bigger than Blighty. But we are planning to have three weeks next year [off duty and Sr allowing] it should be for look see and decide. The main thing is better quality of life and no british gas bill ho ho ho ho.Mark
Old Jul 28th 2006, 2:01 pm
...feeling hot hot hot!!!

wannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by harveylegg

Hi windog, small world yes we also have to own up to being site virgins until that memorable first message posted last night, phewwww. But not only that i was surprised at the fact your other half is training as a nurse, guess where i work Yeovil Hospital as a staff nurse, and we only live in langport. It seems you are a bit further down the research road than us as we have not really decided on destination yet and Oz is slightly bigger than Blighty. But we are planning to have three weeks next year [off duty and Sr allowing] it should be for look see and decide. The main thing is better quality of life and no british gas bill ho ho ho ho.Mark
Hi Mark, it's a small world, I'm windogs other half and am a student based in Yeovil hospital! On summer hols at the moment, we've got a long wait before we can apply as I don't even qualify until next Feb and then need a job (no guarantees of that at the moment) and then 6 months experience for skill matching or 12 months for PR but hopefully all will be well in the end
Old Jul 28th 2006, 2:18 pm

wannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by suzimc
Hi there!

There's a website by a guy based on the Sunshine Coast (north of Brissie but south of Cairns so maybe that would be a bit more bearable heat, although it still gets pretty warm!) which might be useful: www.koalakonnections.com.au

Personally I think Noosa and that sort of area are lovely, although too quiet for me. If you're worried about humidity/heat you might be better off looking further south though. At least on the coast you get a breeze.
I'll reply on behalf of windog as he's at work, I went to Noosa while backpacking many moons ago and would love to think that we could live and work there but I was under the impression it was rather exclusive and pricey but I will certainly do a bit of research.
Humidity doesn't bother me, was living in Cairns for the best part of a year and you soon get used to it...just the kids I worry about if they're miserable then we're all miserable

Thanks for that website we'll have a look
Old Jul 28th 2006, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

jackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nice

Hi welcome to the site!!!!!!!!! Like you we have been reading threads for many months after becoming interested in moving to Australia. We decided last Sept to apply for a visa, but only put in for it in Feb this year. I am a nurse at Musgrove and qualified 3 and a half years ago ( went into nursing late!) As I have been qualified the three years I did get the extra points on the visa. we had our meds at penn hill in yeovil on tuesday and so are waiting the results now. think it went ok, the panel dr was really good. Penn Hill were cheaper than Taunton panel drs.
We have decided to go over on a skilled visa ( mine) and the skills assess through the ANMC was staight forward.
we are looking to go over next July ( son finishes his GCSE s ) and are presently looking at Queensland.
Any questions that you have with the skills assess then pm me or about the meds etc...
All the best, J and J
Old Jul 28th 2006, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by jackie barden
Hi welcome to the site!!!!!!!!! Like you we have been reading threads for many months after becoming interested in moving to Australia. We decided last Sept to apply for a visa, but only put in for it in Feb this year. I am a nurse at Musgrove and qualified 3 and a half years ago ( went into nursing late!) As I have been qualified the three years I did get the extra points on the visa. we had our meds at penn hill in yeovil on tuesday and so are waiting the results now. think it went ok, the panel dr was really good. Penn Hill were cheaper than Taunton panel drs.
We have decided to go over on a skilled visa ( mine) and the skills assess through the ANMC was staight forward.
we are looking to go over next July ( son finishes his GCSE s ) and are presently looking at Queensland.
Any questions that you have with the skills assess then pm me or about the meds etc...
All the best, J and J
Hi J, are you an ex plymouth (taunton) student by any chance? I also went into nursing late am now 36, should still have enough points without working for 3 years I think. Good luck with the rest of your application sounds like you're almost there!!
Old Jul 28th 2006, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

jackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nice

Originally Posted by wannabauzzienurse
Hi J, are you an ex plymouth (taunton) student by any chance? I also went into nursing late am now 36, should still have enough points without working for 3 years I think. Good luck with the rest of your application sounds like you're almost there!!
Yep. Did the paediatric course at Taunton, under un of plymouth. Am 39!
Each step you arrive at gets more nerve wracking but exciting as well, good luck. Any queries I will try and answer, j
Old Jul 28th 2006, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by jackie barden
Yep. Did the paediatric course at Taunton, under un of plymouth. Am 39!
Each step you arrive at gets more nerve wracking but exciting as well, good luck. Any queries I will try and answer, j
Didn't know they did peadiatric in Taunton, I'm doing adult branch just hope I can get a job...there's nothing about at the moment :scared:

Will you get a job first or look for one when you get there? I'm hoping to find a job first but who knows, that stage is still a long way off for us.

Do you know where abouts in Queensland you might go? I'm keen to be coastal but not Brisbane or Gold Coast, not gonna move all that way to live in a city

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.