Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Hello - Perth suburb help needed

Hello - Perth suburb help needed

Old Oct 29th 2010, 12:26 am
Just Joined

the buffys is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hello - Perth suburb help needed

Hi everyone, We are Ann & Mike with 2 boys aged 6 and 11 months. Currently live in Research, Vic which just about comes under Melbourne metro area. Love it around here but work is now taking us to Perth in January. Just wondering whether there are any suburbs comparable to either Eltham, Vic or Semaphore, Adelaide that you guys know of.

Mike is going to be working near Subiaco, but we know that is way out of our price range!

So either hilly-ish leafy suburbs or beach suburbs with character is probably what we're after, grateful for any suggestions on where to start our search.
Thanks, Ann
Old Oct 29th 2010, 1:24 am
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello - Perth suburb help needed

To be honest any area can be good or bad, a lot also have a mix of new and old houses.

The first thing to decide is if you want to be north or south of the river. Then choose how much traveling time you want to work, this will then give you a rough idea of areas. Perth has decent roads and public transport so anywhere is easy to get to really.

I have lived far north and south but have now settled so I am about 15mins north of the city by car, this suits me even though I work far south. Its not a problem to get around. Sure theres traffic in the peak morning hours but its not to bad and soon gotten through.

So really it comes down to what houses you can find that you like the look of more than anything I think.
Old Oct 30th 2010, 4:28 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Several things would bother me about living in the Hills: travel time to the CBD and beyond, bushfires and schools. I know a mum who lives near Mundaring who regularly travels to Claremont (not a million miles away form Subiaco) and it takes her about 1.5 hours, and that's outside the rush hours. A few people on here live in the hills, so they might know about using public transport into Perth, but you have to travel into the CBD and out again to Subiaco. There's no direct train line to the hills, so you'd have to use a bus/train or car/train combination. I can understand the attractions of trees, space, keeping chickens, etc, and it's nice up there, but can get very hot.

Public transport journey times from Mundaring-Subiaco about 1.5 hrs, Kalamunda about 1-1.25 hrs, Stoneville about 2 hours. Would you really want to travel that long, each way? Have a look at TransPerth's journey planner:
http://www.transperth.wa.gov.au/Jour...B&EndMode=Walk

If your OH drove to work, you would need to budget for the expense of a second car.

Have you looked at the real estate websites to get an idea about prices? Try www.realestate.com.au, www.reiwa.com.au or www.domain.com.au.
Old Oct 30th 2010, 6:40 am
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute

As HelenTD says its a slow drive in peak hour from the hills, the older suburbs can be leafy with big blocks but you would have to be prepared to renovate,
South Perth and Victoria Park still have qtr acre blocks
http://www.suburbview.com/view/WA/South+Perth/6151

click" Hybrid " to view how green it is