Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Hello - Newbie Alert

Hello - Newbie Alert

Old Jan 16th 2004, 10:42 pm
Forum Regular

Spooky_uk is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Hello - Newbie Alert

Just wanted to say hello to the folks here. Came across these forums and spent a short time skimming through the AUS ones.

WOW - lots of info - going to take time to wade through!

Finally decided today that want to make a move to Australia and make a fresh start. Been through a lot of grief/hassle the past 3 years or so and had enough of the UK to be honest. Have been thinking about going for quite a few years now - I have an auntie & uncle over there and I like what I hear from them in terms of quality of life etc...

I think the decision/process may be a little easier for me/us as the girlfriend of 4 years has Australian citizenship (she lived there for over 10 years when younger).
We want to try and save some cash this year so probably won't begin the process until next year at least.

I have so many queries/questions floating around in my head - but they can wait for now.

Just wanted to say hello adn hope I won't make a nuisance of myself with the many queries I may have !

Jeff
Old Jan 16th 2004, 10:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olive101 will become famous soon enough

Hello Jeff.

Welcome to the asylum.

Whereabouts in Aus are you thinking of going? Or is it all a bit too early for those kind of thoughts?

Olive
Old Jan 16th 2004, 10:46 pm
WBB

Default Re: Hello - Newbie Alert

Originally posted by Spooky_uk
Just wanted to say hello to the folks here. Came across these forums and spent a short time skimming through the AUS ones.

WOW - lots of info - going to take time to wade through!

Finally decided today that want to make a move to Australia and make a fresh start. Been through a lot of grief/hassle the past 3 years or so and had enough of the UK to be honest. Have been thinking about going for quite a few years now - I have an auntie & uncle over there and I like what I hear from them in terms of quality of life etc...

I think the decision/process may be a little easier for me/us as the girlfriend of 4 years has Australian citizenship (she lived there for over 10 years when younger).
We want to try and save some cash this year so probably won't begin the process until next year at least.

I have so many queries/questions floating around in my head - but they can wait for now.

Just wanted to say hello adn hope I won't make a nuisance of myself with the many queries I may have !

Jeff
welcome to the site, always good to get new members especially spouse visa types, fire away with your questions and we will do our best to hijack your thread and start talking about norks........

JOKE (to keep the PC brigade happy)

and your first question is?

Old Jan 16th 2004, 10:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Norks??
Old Jan 16th 2004, 10:48 pm
WBB

Originally posted by podgypossum
Norks??

have you not seen the norks thread?

Old Jan 16th 2004, 10:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olive101 will become famous soon enough

Norks??
Oh dear. You'll wish you hadn't asked...
Old Jan 16th 2004, 10:51 pm
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

That poor girl!!

(See the hijacking is starting already!!)

Old Jan 16th 2004, 10:51 pm
WBB

it's a long thread.......

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hreadid=202890

it's up to you

Old Jan 16th 2004, 10:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

ummm..no i havent..point me in the right direction (i'm brave)
Old Jan 16th 2004, 10:54 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello - Newbie Alert

Originally posted by welshboybilly
fire away with your questions and we will do our best to hijack your thread and start talking about norks........

JOKE (to keep the PC brigade happy)
LOL!

Sad isnt it when you have to actually put a comment in about it being a joke in case someone jumps on you .

Welcome to the site Jeff .
Old Jan 16th 2004, 10:59 pm
Forum Regular

Spooky_uk is an unknown quantity at this point

I have heard about the norks but I missed them
Don't suppose anybody has a screen grab of them do they ?

Thanks for the welcome, beginning to feel at home already

Well, not sure where abouts as of yet. My auntie lives in Bowraville, and the girlfriend used to live just south of sydney ( can't remember the name of the town off the top of my head )

She has expressed a keen interest to be not too far from the beach , which is OK with me. She has expereince of living over there and has voiced opinions that Adelaide and Canberra are definate no-no's. Melbourne is borderline (weather not so good?). Not sure about Perth with it being so far away from everything else on the east coast - which leaves Brisbane. Although I have doubts about the weather there - just how hot/humid is it.?
Probably the final destination when it comes to it will be where we can find jobs, she is a dental lab technician and I am an IT Manager. Not sure what the job situations are like over there for those career paths, and it may well have changed by the time we are ready to go...

I have a lot to read up on, and I have come across the point system for entry requirements - does this apply to de-facto spouse visas or is it confined to the work related entries ? (Sorry for my ignorance on thsi area - plenty more to come as well probably!)

Also with working in IT and using the interet a lot - is Broadband widely available over there and if so is it a standard flat fee like the UK (we currently have Telewest blueyonder 1mb) or is it per min or per MB tariffed ?

Thanks for any replies to the queries.
Old Jan 16th 2004, 10:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Billy..you are a hopeless case.. DISGUSTING!!
Old Jan 16th 2004, 11:01 pm
WBB

Billy..you are a hopeless case.. DISGUSTING!!

thank you

Old Jan 16th 2004, 11:04 pm
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by welshboybilly
thank you
Thought he might have taken that as a compliment, PP!
Old Jan 16th 2004, 11:05 pm
WBB

Originally posted by Spooky_uk
I have heard about the norks but I missed them
Don't suppose anybody has a screen grab of them do they ?

Thanks for the welcome, beginning to feel at home already

Well, not sure where abouts as of yet. My auntie lives in Bowraville, and the girlfriend used to live just south of sydney ( can't remember the name of the town off the top of my head )

She has expressed a keen interest to be not too far from the beach , which is OK with me. She has expereince of living over there and has voiced opinions that Adelaide and Canberra are definate no-no's. Melbourne is borderline (weather not so good?). Not sure about Perth with it being so far away from everything else on the east coast - which leaves Brisbane. Although I have doubts about the weather there - just how hot/humid is it.?
Probably the final destination when it comes to it will be where we can find jobs, she is a dental lab technician and I am an IT Manager. Not sure what the job situations are like over there for those career paths, and it may well have changed by the time we are ready to go...

I have a lot to read up on, and I have come across the point system for entry requirements - does this apply to de-facto spouse visas or is it confined to the work related entries ? (Sorry for my ignorance on thsi area - plenty more to come as well probably!)

Also with working in IT and using the interet a lot - is Broadband widely available over there and if so is it a standard flat fee like the UK (we currently have Telewest blueyonder 1mb) or is it per min or per MB tariffed ?

Thanks for any replies to the queries.
a screen grab....now thats an idea!

the spouse (de-facto) visa's are not decided on points but you have to prove your relationship is genuine and ongoing and has been so for at least 12 months prior to your application, if you have not already done so start gathering documents for your application next year, anything in a joint name will help as will stat decs from friends and family.

thats the serious bit over, back to the hijacking.