Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Hello. New person on here moving to NZ.

Hello. New person on here moving to NZ.

Old Jun 5th 2003, 9:01 pm
Forum Regular

marlyn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hello. New person on here moving to NZ.

Hi
This is my first posting on here and I would like to make contact with people moving to NZ (or who live there already).

I have a work permit but wanted to know more about areas, lifestyle, the kiwis etc.

Thank you.
Old Jun 5th 2003, 9:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future

ask anthing specific and use the search..

cheers

richard
Old Jun 5th 2003, 9:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gra.B is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hello. New person on here moving to NZ.

Hi marlyn,

Where abouts are you thinking of?

Gra...
Old Jun 5th 2003, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

OK here goes.

How can you find decent furnished properties?

What do you have to go about getting tax sorted out from IRD, can you do it from the UK?

Can you buy a car without an address. How do you go about registering it, insuring it etc?

Is it easy to meet new people? I have noticed on this forum that some people say that the kiwi's are friendly to your face but behind your back a different matter. Is this true?

What is the climate like in NI?

OK I will stop there!!!!
Old Jun 5th 2003, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

The Simpsons is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Marlyn

Everyone here is really friendly and there's always someone who can give you an answer/advice!

We're waiting for our JSV to NZ at the moment, and have done loads of research on the net. we hope to end up in Auckland as that's where my jobs will be. Probably live on the Northshore, Glenfield maybe.

Anyway, ask away! Someone will know the answer!

Good luck
Karen
Old Jun 5th 2003, 9:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

sofistek is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by marlyn
Hi
This is my first posting on here and I would like to make contact with people moving to NZ (or who live there already).

I have a work permit but wanted to know more about areas, lifestyle, the kiwis etc.

Thank you.
Welcome, Marlyn.

Can I ask what you mean when you say you have a work permit? I thought that work permits could only be issued if you have specific work that you've been offered. In this case, I would guess you'd be moving to wherever that work is. Can you tell us more?

Two other possibilities spring to mind. Either you have been issued a temporary work permit under the job search policy, after applying for residence, or you decided not to take the job that was offered in order to get the work permit (if that's possible).

Sorry, I hate confusion!
Old Jun 5th 2003, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

I was offered a job a long time ago (secondry school) but wont be taking it just wanted it for work permit so I am not sure where to go now, my husband and I are just going out there to look around (fact finding). I saw on here some time ago that it is the job offer that counts not starting it. I think it was from a man called Don.

Its OK to be nosey!!
Old Jun 5th 2003, 9:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

sofistek is an unknown quantity at this point

I was offered a job a long time ago (secondry school) but wont be taking it just wanted it for work permit so I am not sure where to go now, my husband and I are just going out there to look around (fact finding). I saw on here some time ago that it is the job offer that counts not starting it. I think it was from a man called Don.

Its OK to be nosey!!
Thanks, Marlyn. I know that was possible for a PR visa, wasn't sure if it was the same for a normal work visa. Of course, a work visa only allows you to stay in NZ for up to 3 years and doesn't give you any benefits for getting permanent residence. Other than, giving you NZ work experience points later down the road, or maybe allowing you into the work to residence scheme (though I think there are more restrictions that way).

As an aside, and don't take this the wrong way, I hope this kind of thing isn't done too often (getting a job offer, with associated paperwork for visa processing on the part of the employer, but not taking up the offer). I'd feel tempted to do that myself but if it happens too often, it might make employers reluctant to recruit overseas.

Good luck, though. I can't recommend any areas yet. We're looking primarily at the North Island and, to start off with, would be happy to live almost anywhere. However, I have been warned off areas with a high Maori population as there tend to be gangs in those areas, so they might be a little less safe than other areas. Try the NZ government statistics Web site for population figures, or search the Web.
Old Jun 5th 2003, 10:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wilf is an unknown quantity at this point

Its OK to be nosey!!
What a terrific attitude to mess a school in NZ around already and you're not even there yet. Schools in NZ or Oz really need messing about by some pom just to get a permit don't they?
Poor NZ. With poms like this who needs enemies?
Old Jun 5th 2003, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

Sorry Wilf
I feel really bad now. Thank you for shooting me down in flames. I will still be going into the teaching industry when I get there. Well I thought that I would get some good advice on here. I have resisted posting on here and been a guest for a long time. I thought that after seeing some of the really cheeky postings on here that I would not be shot down in flames. But I have and I can see it has upset you. I did not mean to be so flippant about getting my work permit then not starting the job. What I can see on this forum there has many a person to do it.

Sorry Wilf
Old Jun 5th 2003, 10:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gra.B is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry Wilf
I feel really bad now....
Sorry Wilf
Don't worry about Wilf, it's how he gets his kicks from life.

About the work permit, I thought that if applying for Work visa/permit that it was specific to the actual position offered, even down to the employer. Is yours open? (Sorry, I know you came on here for answers, not questions!)

Gra...
Old Jun 5th 2003, 10:25 pm
Forum Regular

Sorry Wilf
I feel really bad now. Thank you for shooting me down in flames. I will still be going into the teaching industry when I get there. Well I thought that I would get some good advice on here. I have resisted posting on here and been a guest for a long time. I thought that after seeing some of the really cheeky postings on here that I would not be shot down in flames. But I have and I can see it has upset you. I did not mean to be so flippant about getting my work permit then not starting the job. What I can see on this forum there has many a person to do it.

Sorry Wilf
Marlyn, I said everone here was helpful and friendly, of course there are exceptions!

Old Jun 5th 2003, 10:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sorry Wilf

Sorry Wilf
Unless you are winding me up then you are the first person here to make me feel like taking it back. I was expecting the usual "Wilf is loathsome" description but you have taken it on the chin so well done. You are a grown-up.

On the radio this morning they were going on about how hard it is to get good teachers and even the kids in rough areas need help I am sure we can agree. If you are going into the teaching game downunder then good luck to you for being one of those doing the hard work. You are bringing something more than selfishness and money obsession to this side of the planet, unlike most of the losers on this site.
Old Jun 5th 2003, 10:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by The Simpsons
Marlyn, I said everone here was helpful and friendly, of course there are exceptions!

I am not helpful when it cmes to messing schools around, no.
I bet you are one of the people who wonders why your kids don't get a perfect education aren't you?
Old Jun 5th 2003, 10:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Wilf
I am not helpful when it cmes to messing schools around, no.
I bet you are one of the people who wonders why your kids don't get a perfect education aren't you?
Actually, I think there are more important things to experience in life than a 'perfect education'. Life is for living, and we intend to do just that!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.