British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Hello - moving to Perth and have some assorted questions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/hello-moving-perth-have-some-assorted-questions-686898/)

squeezzii Sep 26th 2010 9:33 am

Re: Hello - moving to Perth and have some assorted questions

just to reiterate Fremantle has a good music scene, and you can get a lot of live music around town- the fun is going out and finding your fav venues.
Woodside, FMC Technologies, GE (Vetco Grey), Haliburton, Atka Solutions are all in the oil and gas industry in one way or another and are all in Perth and surrounds

stken Sep 26th 2010 9:36 am

Hi there
The oil and gas is booming here and is a good industry to be in, interesting websites to check out are bhp petroleum, Woodside and Chevron. I was in the oil and gas industry here for 12 years. From your message I take it that you will be based in Perth, if you are going to be moved to the North West of WA make sure that your Company gets you good accommodation that they pay for. Accommodation in North West is hard to come by and very expensive.
Sorry cannot help you with Visa for GF.
Nightlife, Northbridge is the main area, but in the early hours can get a bit rough or so I am told. There is also some good places in Leederville, Fremantle and Subiaco.
I hope everything goes well.
All the best.
stken
PS Are you by any chance a Saint's supporter? :)

HelenTD Sep 26th 2010 10:28 am

Hi, yes, the oil & gas industry here is a major source of employment (my OH works in it, my BIL also does and I have previously). As a couple without kids, you would probably be better off living in suburbs closer to the CBD, as middle and outer suburbs are more spread out and have less pubs, bars and nightlife. As others have said, Leederville, Subiaco, Fremantle and Northbridge are the main nightlife spots, but there are more small bars setting up rather than the big barns that a lot of WA pubs resemble. Also look at suburbs like North Perth, Highgate, Mt Hawthorn, Wembley, Claremont, Cottesloe and Nedlands. These suburbs tend to have the more traditional 'high street' design, closer to the CBD (cheaper taxi fares) and have better pubic transport. These suburbs are more likely to have a buzz, but in no way can life in Perth be compared to Brighton (I still miss the South Downs every day, more than M&S, Boots, Sainsbury's, etc).

bhaven Sep 26th 2010 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by saintstu (Post 8875240)
Hi,

I've just accepted a job offer based in Perth. I work for an international recruitment company and will be leading a team in the Oil & Gas market in WA.

I'm excited and nervous about moving in equal amounts! I currently live in Brighton with my girlfriend and whilst I love the culture and nightlife here, the opportunity to move to Australia (which I've been to and love) is too tempting to turn down.

Anway, on to those questions:

1. Does anyone know how the Oil & Gas industry is doing in Australia generally, and WA specifically? (any links to websites or other advice would be brilliant)

2. What is considered 'proof of relationship' for my visa application? My GF has lived with me for 6 months, but isn't on any bills or anything. We've been together 3 years, but don't have any specific proof. I'm worried this will be a problem with her getting on my visa. Any suggestions?

3. If my girlfriend does get over on my visa (457) are there any restrictions on her working over there?

4. My only concern about Perth is that it seems a bit 'quiet' on the nightlife front. We love going out at the weekends and having a few beers during the week. Are there nightclubs/late bars in Perth? Is there much of a nightlife/club scene/live music scene in Perth?

5. Any other advice on moving to Perth would be great.

Thank you very much for your help.

Stu

1. Does anyone know how the Oil & Gas industry is doing in Australia generally, and WA specifically? (any links to websites or other advice would be brilliant)

What company will you be working for? I work for Aker Solutions. The Oil & Gas Industry is still relatively small by UK/US standards but is growing fast. With some huge jobs coming up over the next 2-3 years in WA, dont have any worries about job for the future.

4. My only concern about Perth is that it seems a bit 'quiet' on the nightlife front. We love going out at the weekends and having a few beers during the week. Are there nightclubs/late bars in Perth? Is there much of a nightlife/club scene/live music scene in Perth?

Perth is still quiet by UK standards (I think anyway) but there are places to go an see. However dont expect it to be like UK, if you want that then its better to go to Melboune, Sydney etc. Perth tends to be more of a family orientated city

Weebie Sep 27th 2010 11:55 am

The O+G sector is going to go apeshit in the next 20 years no doubt.

In terms of life here there are some good things but long term coming from the outer rings of London you'll probably get bored. Perth does have a cool little music scene but realistically its nothing compared to any major Uk city. Cool bars exist here but very little in terms of nightlife. Infact the Government hasn't granted a nightclub licence in ages.

There is no ducking over to Paris or Prague if you want a holiday it's a 4-20hr trip depending on where you want to go.

saintstu Oct 3rd 2010 12:28 am

Thank you to everyone for your advice and assistance. It's really appreciated.

Originally Posted by stken (Post 8876334)
I hope everything goes well.
All the best.
stken
PS Are you by any chance a Saint's supporter? :)

Yes, I am - was particularly delighted to see the 2-0 win today. Up the Saints!

[QUOTE=bhaven;8877031]1. Does anyone know how the Oil & Gas industry is doing in Australia generally, and WA specifically? (any links to websites or other advice would be brilliant)

What company will you be working for? I work for Aker Solutions. The Oil & Gas Industry is still relatively small by UK/US standards but is growing fast. With some huge jobs coming up over the next 2-3 years in WA, dont have any worries about job for the future.

I work for Hays. At present I'm in Construction & Property - which we're by far the biggest in the UK at doing. How are Hays perceived in Oil & Gas recruitment in Oz?

Originally Posted by HelenTD (Post 8876427)
... in no way can life in Perth be compared to Brighton.

I'm not expecting Perth to be like Brighton, which has a unique 'vibe' compared to anywhere I've ever been. What I've been assuming though is that with Perth having at least 6 times the population I am assuming it's going to have at least some nightlife?

HelenTD Oct 3rd 2010 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by saintstu (Post 8892074)
I'm not expecting Perth to be like Brighton, which has a unique 'vibe' compared to anywhere I've ever been. What I've been assuming though is that with Perth having at least 6 times the population I am assuming it's going to have at least some nightlife?

Unfortunately, just because a place has 6 times the population, it does not equate to 6 times the nightlife, shopping, choice, public transport and probably a hundred other things. The demographics are very different. If you read other threads on BE, you will find lots of people saying how Perth is great for families and probably retirees, but not huge amounts of praise from those in their 20s.

I can't help with discussions on nightlife, as I live the life of a suburban mum:zzz: and it's a long time since I've seen the inside of a nightclub:D. All I have seen is news on TV about some incident or another in a Perth nightspot - a man punching another man (often into a coma or death), woman or man taking a glass and smashing it into another's face, security guard attacking someone, etc, etc. These incidents might be a small number in the general scheme of things, but are worrying.

There are busy, interesting, demanding jobs and lifestyles out there, but perhaps not why a lot of people live in Perth. It's more a place where people have a slower pace of life. Loads of people get into cycling, jogging, beaches, learning to surf, sailing, fishing, etc. Have a look in the Meet Ups section, as there have been a few threads by people in their 20s, who might be able to tell you how they've found the nightlife.

Weebie Oct 3rd 2010 3:51 pm

[QUOTE=saintstu;8892074]Thank you to everyone for your advice and assistance. It's really appreciated.

Yes, I am - was particularly delighted to see the 2-0 win today. Up the Saints!

Originally Posted by bhaven (Post 8877031)

I work for Hays. At present I'm in Construction & Property - which we're by far the biggest in the UK at doing. How are Hays perceived in Oil & Gas recruitment in Oz?

Perth is great for making money and having a relaxed lifestyle. If you like going out doing different things going to cool clubs and bars etc then this city is not for you.

Amazulu Oct 4th 2010 2:28 am

Originally Posted by saintstu (Post 8892074)

I've dealt with Hays Engineering here in Perth as both a candidate and as someone looking to hire, and to be honest with you I was not impressed. They came across as just a bunch of salesmen in sharp suits and had very poor knowledge of what clients/candidates want. I'm sure they are profitable - as are most agencies - as they do very little for a lot of money. I reckon their office parties/after hours are fun as there are a lot of hot young saleswomen working there.

In Perth, like the UK, there are a few good agencies (4-5 tops) that are any good and the rest are crap. From what I've seen I would put Hays in the crap bracket.

Weebie Oct 4th 2010 2:37 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 8893871)
I've dealt with Hays Engineering here in Perth as both a candidate and as someone looking to hire, and to be honest with you I was not impressed. They came across as just a bunch of salesmen in sharp suits and had very poor knowledge of what clients/candidates want. I'm sure they are profitable - as are most agencies - as they do very little for a lot of money. I reckon their office parties/after hours are fun as there are a lot of hot young saleswomen working there.

In Perth, like the UK, there are a few good agencies (4-5 tops) that are any good and the rest are crap. From what I've seen I would put Hays in the crap bracket.

Totally has hays Perth written all over that statement.

Amazulu Oct 4th 2010 2:44 am

Originally Posted by Weebie (Post 8893879)
Totally has hays Perth written all over that statement.

Have you dealt with them? I've found most enginering employment agencies in Perth to be rubbish. To balance that out though, it's the same in the UK.

hoofie2002 Oct 4th 2010 5:47 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 8893871)

I've always thought Hays in Perth were only good for secretarial and admin jobs. Any professional looking would normally avoid them like the plague.

Amazulu Oct 4th 2010 5:54 am

Originally Posted by hoofie2002 (Post 8894042)
I've always thought Hays in Perth were only good for secretarial and admin jobs. Any professional looking would normally avoid them like the plague.

Agree. There are some agencies out there that know what they are doing when in comes to engineering/project jobs - but not many.

Dorothy Oct 4th 2010 6:33 am

Originally Posted by hoofie2002 (Post 8894042)

Not that there would be any professional secretaries or admin people. :rolleyes:

Weebie Oct 4th 2010 7:44 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 8893883)
Have you dealt with them? I've found most enginering employment agencies in Perth to be rubbish. To balance that out though, it's the same in the UK.

Yup in 2008 when I returned from London I went through Hays for the first 4 months.

Rubbish but similar to British ones. Infact the my agent just got back from the UK about the same time I got back lol.