Hello & LAFHA

Old Jun 13th 2005, 7:32 am
Just Joined

pumpkinpatch is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hello & LAFHA

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum and have been finding it very informative. Not sure if this should be on this forum or the Immigration one (posted there by mistake) but anyway ...

My husband and I are heading to Adelaide later this year in Nov. We are applying for the 457 visa now (employer will sponsor us for RSMS after 6 mths probation on the job).

I have been reading a quite a few posts that mention the Living Away from Home Allowance. Can anyone explain what this is and who is eligible? Is this something statutory that all employers provide or to be negotiated with employer?

Thanks in advance!
pumpkinpatch
Old Jun 13th 2005, 7:40 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Hello & LAFHA

Originally Posted by pumpkinpatch
Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum and have been finding it very informative. Not sure if this should be on this forum or the Immigration one (posted there by mistake) but anyway ...

My husband and I are heading to Adelaide later this year in Nov. We are applying for the 457 visa now (employer will sponsor us for RSMS after 6 mths probation on the job).

I have been reading a quite a few posts that mention the Living Away from Home Allowance. Can anyone explain what this is and who is eligible? Is this something statutory that all employers provide or to be negotiated with employer?

Thanks in advance!
pumpkinpatch
One of the conditions for the LAFHA is:

You have a genuine intention to return to your home country at the completion of your employment contract.
Applying for a PR visa will negate that.

Old Jun 13th 2005, 7:48 am
surfer chic from Teesside

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello & LAFHA

hi

you will need to speak to your employer, who will arrange it for you, as I know that alot of employers are different.

But ours is worked out by rent and food allowance for the year, being tax free on your salary, providing your main residence is in the UK. (we still have our house in UK and rent it out).

It makes us around $600 per month better off as you end up being on a lower tax braket.

Once you start to apply for PR visa or if you buy a house here you cannot claim it and have to pay normal tax.

hope this helps you

laura
x