Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Hello from the Gold Coast

Hello from the Gold Coast

Old Oct 21st 2004, 11:39 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all
Default Hello from the Gold Coast

Hiya everyone
Hope that you are all keeping well. I am sure that some of you have now left the UK and are here or are on the way.

We left the hotel that my husband had been managing and where we had been living for the past seven years on 5 October. It was really sad, there were loads of people who had come to wave us off and some of them were really good friends - the hardest thing was seeing them cry - especially some of the men. Even Jim Branning from Eastenders came to wave us off

We flew via Dubai with Emirates. I was really upset on the Istanbul/Dubai flight as I kept thinking about everyone and how sad I was - but the cabin crew were really nice and gave me loads of soft toys to cheer me up and they offered me loads of drinks etc. The entertainment system was excellent - it was called Ice and had loads of films you could watch.

Arrived at Dubai and we had to collect our onward boarding passes to Brisbane as they were unable to issue them in Istanbul. Well, the Emirates ground staff were really rude. They told me that I did not have a visa and they could not let me on the plane :scared: After over an hour of trying to sort it out - they finally contacted Australia - dont know where who confirmed I did have a visa. It was because of the code on the visa - it had confused them due to the fact it was issued in Turkey for a british passport. I did not have any problems with this in February when I validated my visa (Singapore Airlines).

Anyway, off we trotted to the hotel over the road where we had a sleep for a few hours before our flight the next morning.

Had good seats on the flight to Brisbane, and the food was not bad as far as airline food goes. Film system was not as good as the previous flight as you had to wait for the films to do the rounds. All in all Emirates were not bad - apart from the rude ground staff. I would use them again. At least they gave us 50kg each

Arrived at Brisbane and we were collected by a couple of mates. Stayed with a friend for a few days until we were able to secure a rental. We are in a fully furnished brand new apartment, it is really nice. It has two bedrooms and is great for us. The Managers are brits and they were really helpful even though we did not have any references.

We bought a car - a kia carnival as we are expecting a lot of visitors. Made sure we had the darkest tint on the windows to protect us from the sun.

The kids have started at the local school and they are really loving it.

The weather has been quite chilly (remember I am used to the med).

All of our boxes arrived at Brisbane airport and we had to pay $120 to collect them. We sent them with DHL.

The first couple of weeks when I was here, I felt really awful and could have quite happily got on the next plane back as I was really missing all of my friends, but now I feel more settled and I am looking forward to the future as I know if things do not work out we can go back - at least we will have tried.

I have been to losts of shops liked Coles the best, did not like Bi-lo very much. Seems to be cheaper to buy your veg from the greengrocers equivalent. The food available in the supermarkets seems like a good range, but then again I eat a mediterranean style diet. The meat seems to be very cheap.

It cost me $63 to fill the petrol tank up but I had a voucher from coles so I got a couple of dollars off

Have not had to buy any furniture yet as we are in furnished.

We are now going round looking at businesses to buy.

Anyway, thats enough for now. Any questions - feel free

Thanks to all me mates on here - especially Warren & Phoenix who gave me some support when I was not happy when I arrived.

I am really enjoying life here now and I hope that I will be happy here.

Good luck everyone
Warren - when are you off - or I have I missed it?
Ps - I have only seen three redbacks
Old Oct 21st 2004, 11:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future
Default Re: Hello from the Gold Coast

Welcome to the Gold Coast. I hope you are settling in OK, and dont worry about it being a bit cold, that will soon change!

PS was it you that brought all that rain?
Old Oct 21st 2004, 11:46 am
BE Enthusiast

swissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to all

Debsy!

I am glad to hear from you and that you have cheered up and that things are slowly starting to get organised and that you have a nice apartment.
Which area of the Gold Coast are you in? Are u enjoying the Indy traffic?
And hang on because schoolies are going to be there in a month! and nice warm weather too!

Take care and I look forward to hearing from you!

fabie
Old Oct 21st 2004, 11:47 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Three redbacks - you've only been there five minutes. I don't want to see that many in five years LOL

Glad you got there safely, and had a good flight. Whereabouts on gold coast have you dumped yourselves and what school did you get the kids into?

Look forward to hearing your updates.
Old Oct 21st 2004, 11:50 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Trevglas
Welcome to the Gold Coast. I hope you are settling in OK, and dont worry about it being a bit cold, that will soon change!

PS was it you that brought all that rain?
Thanks Trev.
Hope to meet you at the expats picnic sometime.
Fabs - sent u a pm.
Moneypen -we are in the Varsity Lakes area. But we are hoping to move to Nobby Beach in the future
Old Oct 21st 2004, 12:04 pm
G'day Mate

Boomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of light

Woohoo Debsy is back

Welcome, we all missed you
Old Oct 21st 2004, 12:32 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Debsy. Good to hear from you again. I haven't forgotten about our 'date' on Surfers beach you know . Though I'll be there myself in just over a week so maybe we'll leave for a couple of weeks!!
Old Oct 21st 2004, 12:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by wmoore
Hi Debsy. Good to hear from you again. I haven't forgotten about our 'date' on Surfers beach you know . Though I'll be there myself in just over a week so maybe we'll leave for a couple of weeks!!
Oh thanks Pedro.

Wayne - will have to go and have a look for it then
Old Oct 21st 2004, 1:08 pm
Hilton`s

Hilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to all
Smile Re: Hello from the Gold Coast

Originally Posted by debsy
Hiya everyone
Hope that you are all keeping well. I am sure that some of you have now left the UK and are here or are on the way.

We left the hotel that my husband had been managing and where we had been living for the past seven years on 5 October. It was really sad, there were loads of people who had come to wave us off and some of them were really good friends - the hardest thing was seeing them cry - especially some of the men. Even Jim Branning from Eastenders came to wave us off

We flew via Dubai with Emirates. I was really upset on the Istanbul/Dubai flight as I kept thinking about everyone and how sad I was - but the cabin crew were really nice and gave me loads of soft toys to cheer me up and they offered me loads of drinks etc. The entertainment system was excellent - it was called Ice and had loads of films you could watch.

Arrived at Dubai and we had to collect our onward boarding passes to Brisbane as they were unable to issue them in Istanbul. Well, the Emirates ground staff were really rude. They told me that I did not have a visa and they could not let me on the plane :scared: After over an hour of trying to sort it out - they finally contacted Australia - dont know where who confirmed I did have a visa. It was because of the code on the visa - it had confused them due to the fact it was issued in Turkey for a british passport. I did not have any problems with this in February when I validated my visa (Singapore Airlines).

Anyway, off we trotted to the hotel over the road where we had a sleep for a few hours before our flight the next morning.

Had good seats on the flight to Brisbane, and the food was not bad as far as airline food goes. Film system was not as good as the previous flight as you had to wait for the films to do the rounds. All in all Emirates were not bad - apart from the rude ground staff. I would use them again. At least they gave us 50kg each

Arrived at Brisbane and we were collected by a couple of mates. Stayed with a friend for a few days until we were able to secure a rental. We are in a fully furnished brand new apartment, it is really nice. It has two bedrooms and is great for us. The Managers are brits and they were really helpful even though we did not have any references.

We bought a car - a kia carnival as we are expecting a lot of visitors. Made sure we had the darkest tint on the windows to protect us from the sun.

The kids have started at the local school and they are really loving it.

The weather has been quite chilly (remember I am used to the med).

All of our boxes arrived at Brisbane airport and we had to pay $120 to collect them. We sent them with DHL.

The first couple of weeks when I was here, I felt really awful and could have quite happily got on the next plane back as I was really missing all of my friends, but now I feel more settled and I am looking forward to the future as I know if things do not work out we can go back - at least we will have tried.

I have been to losts of shops liked Coles the best, did not like Bi-lo very much. Seems to be cheaper to buy your veg from the greengrocers equivalent. The food available in the supermarkets seems like a good range, but then again I eat a mediterranean style diet. The meat seems to be very cheap.

It cost me $63 to fill the petrol tank up but I had a voucher from coles so I got a couple of dollars off

Have not had to buy any furniture yet as we are in furnished.

We are now going round looking at businesses to buy.

Anyway, thats enough for now. Any questions - feel free

Thanks to all me mates on here - especially Warren & Phoenix who gave me some support when I was not happy when I arrived.

I am really enjoying life here now and I hope that I will be happy here.

Good luck everyone
Warren - when are you off - or I have I missed it?
Ps - I have only seen three redbacks
Hi, Deb, Glad you are feeling more settled now and it is great to know the
kids are happy at school, one less thing to worry about !

Keep posting.

Tracey x
Old Oct 21st 2004, 1:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Hilton`s
Hi, Deb, Glad you are feeling more settled now and it is great to know the
kids are happy at school, one less thing to worry about !

Keep posting.

Tracey x
Hiya Tracey
Hows things?
Let me know when you are arriving.
Debsx
Old Oct 21st 2004, 1:43 pm
¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤

DollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Debsy

Great to hear from you, was wondering how you were getting on. Can't wait for the updates.. Good to hear you're settling in OK.

D D
Old Oct 21st 2004, 6:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Hello from the Gold Coast

Hi Debsy,
Sitting here full of envy at the moment reading your post , made up that you arrived safe and glad the kids have settled.

Anyway we are heading for Helensvale/Arundel areas hopefully, early next year, as long as the bloody house market starts to move It is so annoying knowing we have our visas but cant go we are so looking forward to just getting over there now and starting our new life. Anyway hope to catch up with all you Gold Coast expats soon.

See you there for a few cold ones.
Old Oct 21st 2004, 10:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Edens Landing, half way between Brisbane and Gold coast
Paul&Ann-Marie will become famous soon enough

Hello debs and famliy
welcome to your new life.we live half way between brisbane and the gold coast a place called edens landing been here 8 weeks now and love it,but do get home sick now and again.my mum is coming in 5 weeks with my nephew and is girlfriend so looking forward to that.
Good luck looking around finding somewere
take care

annmarie
Old Oct 21st 2004, 10:33 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Hope you're still enjoying the experience of being in Aus. Long may it continue!

Very best of luck, Debs!

Tony.
Old Oct 22nd 2004, 6:19 am
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Debsy,
glad that you and your family have arrived safely, and that your feeling better. Its certainly a rollercoaster for a while, hope it works out for you,
Michaela

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.