Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Hello Everyone :)

Hello Everyone :)

Old Apr 8th 2010, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

Shot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really nice
Default Hello Everyone :)

hi guys and girls,
been reading this forum for a while now and about time i joined,as fingers crossed should be in sydney in the next 6 months

got married last year and my wife has her oz citizenship, she lived in sydney for over two years and wants to go back!

we dont have a house here, or any ties which is good, we talked about this on our honeymoon and before and made the plan to go for it, finally got round to sorting the forms out and going to OZ house in london tomorrow am to hand the forms in

really looking forward to getting out there but all so sh*%^$ it !
i have spent a year away from home before in asia and i managed to get along fine 10 years ago, but this is something else.....
had my career on hold for the last year knowing that we going to be going there so its gonna be full on hit the ground running and get the money rolling in so that we can get our own place, not sure what the IT market is like there at moment or how much i should be able to earn, hoping for around AUS $ 90,000 is that alot for out there ?
,good thing for is accommodation is already sorted( her folks have a place out there), so we will just need to find jobs when we get out there, bad thing is fu%^ me is it expensive to buy a house! talking about hyper stupid prices.
we plan to stay at her folks for around a year and then try and get our own place....
for a nice place around west ryde in sydney is a min $650,000 and thats for small home! how the hell are you meant to afford that ?
thats what really gets to me, well its the only thing i can think of that would put a hold of things,
our dream plan is....get out there get a house start a family and enjoy life. dont want to be rich or anything just have enough money to bring up some kids and have a nice holiday once a year and a nice house..... hope im not asking for to much in this dream..... time will tell i guess. but fingers crossed....

Shot81
Old Apr 8th 2010, 11:01 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello Everyone :)

Welcome to the forum.

You've mentioned some of the bad news - housing prices - but the better news is that if you are prepared to work hard and not skive off (aka being "sick") you will get ahead here.

Mrs Wol's son came out 20 years ago as a student and I remember him saying then that Australia is only kept going by Europeans - the Australians didn't understand work. He now has a couple of companies, branches in Sydney and Brisbane and 250 employees - so I take note of what he says!
Old Apr 8th 2010, 11:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Tubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to all

If you have enough experience in IT, which I'm guessing you do, then $90k shouldn't be a problem in Sydney. Jobs are advertised for fresh out of Uni/junior roles at around $65-70k, senior (3-5yrs experience) $90-100k and management $100k+. The house prices are a bit steep, but somehow it's more manageable on the salaries. If you are both working before you have kids, as long as you don't overstretch yourselves you should have plenty of combined income to secure a mortgage.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 11:18 am
Forum Regular

Shot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really nice

cheers guys thanks for the info,

good luck to your son wol, starting my own business could be a plan too, was thinking about that last night lol, not sure what yet but will think of something.

tubz, yes have a solid 9 years experience , i dont belive in jumping up the ladder and not having the experience to back it up have come across plenty of so called IT consultants who earn a huge amount but could not tell there arse from ther elbow !

fingers crossed on the top end of the 90k mark then