Hello Everyone

Old Dec 23rd 2006, 5:56 pm
Just Joined

YorkshireGuy is a jewel in the roughYorkshireGuy is a jewel in the roughYorkshireGuy is a jewel in the roughYorkshireGuy is a jewel in the rough
Default Hello Everyone

Hi BritishExpats.com

I'm so glad I stumbled upon this website, already I have discovered the answers to many questions. So I thought I would register and introduce myself. (posted this on the Canada section too)

My name is Eamonn and I currently live in Yorkshire.

I'm 33 and earlier this year I seperated from my wife (no kids). I have a good job, a house and a nice car. Doesn't sound so bad hey?
Well I think I am at a crossroads now, I'm pretty bored with life and feel that if I dont act soon I'll will have passed up any opportunity to experience life. As is stands now I have no ties (other than my family and friends of course )

My brother and his Wife left the UK a couple of years ago and live and work in South Africa. They have a great life and have never regretted it.

So a few weeks ago I made the decision to investigate emigrating to either Australia or Canada. I'm still very in the early stage of researching such a move, which is why I've found this site.

So hello to you all, I'll be sure to post a few questions on the main boards.

Eamonn.
Old Dec 24th 2006, 7:36 am
WS

WS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello Everyone

Hi Eamonn!

Thats exciting, just deciding you want to go abroad! Where do you think you want to go, Australia or Canada?!?
Old Dec 24th 2006, 7:38 am
Just Joined

YorkshireGuy is a jewel in the roughYorkshireGuy is a jewel in the roughYorkshireGuy is a jewel in the roughYorkshireGuy is a jewel in the rough

Initially I had thought Canada. But I am starting to realise there would be better opportunities in Australia.

Sydney would be my first choice, although I dont really mind where I end up.
Old Dec 24th 2006, 8:02 am
WS

WS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond repute

Better weather in Australia!

What job do you do?
Old Dec 24th 2006, 8:53 am
Just Joined

I run an I.T department in a manufacturing company.

I have 14 years experience in the field, I'm hoping that my skills will give me a half decent chance of landing a job down under.
Old Dec 24th 2006, 11:15 am
WS

That's cool, so would you apply for a 136?

As you say, you should go for it whilst you have the opportunity .

Do you have friends/family in Australia or Canada or would you be on your own?
Old Dec 24th 2006, 11:46 am
Just Joined

A 136? I've only just started looking into this move, and already this site has been great, care to tell me what a 136 is??

I have relatives in Melbourne. But other than that I'll be making the move on my own, which in one way is daunting, but in another way it kind of appeals to me.

Is Melbourne very different to Sydney?
Old Dec 24th 2006, 12:35 pm
WS

136 is a PR visa, the best one to go on if you can get the required points.

I've never been to Melbourne but I loved Sydney and everyone says good things about Melbourne. I'm heading to Perth .
Old Dec 24th 2006, 10:09 pm
SuzieB

blowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of light

Hello - i say go for it - Sounds like the perfect time in your life for a little adventure. I can't speak for Canada or offer much insight into the visa situation, but i worked in SYdney for 6 months last year and knew a few people in IT - mostly in project management, and they certainly gave me the impression that there were lots of opportunities; more in Sydney than Melbourne.

Both cities have their merits and people will argue endlessly over which is better. Its my humble opinion that possibly people in Melbourne are bit friendlier and its a bit more of a cultural place (old money, European values) whereas Sydney is a bit harsher, more American, bit flashy - sort of thing. Having said that I prefer Sydney as it feels a bit buzzier to me than Melbourne. But many would disagree!

Good luck with your research, and welcome to the forum.
I relied on this forum heavily on my last sojourn in Sydney and it really is great!

SuzieB

SuzieB

Originally Posted by YorkshireGuy
Hi BritishExpats.com

I'm so glad I stumbled upon this website, already I have discovered the answers to many questions. So I thought I would register and introduce myself. (posted this on the Canada section too)

My name is Eamonn and I currently live in Yorkshire.

I'm 33 and earlier this year I seperated from my wife (no kids). I have a good job, a house and a nice car. Doesn't sound so bad hey?
Well I think I am at a crossroads now, I'm pretty bored with life and feel that if I dont act soon I'll will have passed up any opportunity to experience life. As is stands now I have no ties (other than my family and friends of course )

My brother and his Wife left the UK a couple of years ago and live and work in South Africa. They have a great life and have never regretted it.

So a few weeks ago I made the decision to investigate emigrating to either Australia or Canada. I'm still very in the early stage of researching such a move, which is why I've found this site.

So hello to you all, I'll be sure to post a few questions on the main boards.

Eamonn.