British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   hello all from Rachel+Craig>>>>Brisbane (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/hello-all-rachel-craig-brisbane-898162/)

ScousieG Jun 16th 2017 9:35 pm

hello all from Rachel+Craig>>>>Brisbane

Hello Everyone!

My wife and i are due to move to Brisbane in Oct this year, my wife is Laterally

Transferring from the Army Reserves to the ADF (Aus Defence Force) so we will

be moving out on a 186 Permanent residency Visa, and we are feeling very

blessed that we are lucky enough to have this opportunity. :thumbsup:

I recently left the military in Dec 2016 after 12 yrs as a combat medic, to which i

hopefully can continue as a "Ambo" (recently learnt phrase from a ozzy pt at

work!!), i realise that there is not much work With Queensland so i will have to

hopefully get into Trucking (HC):fingerscrossed:

we have not been allocated a house yet as we will be staying in defence housing.

we are out going types who love the out doors. so please say hello and we are

open to advice and suggestions.

Thank you for taking the time in reading this and we hope you are enjoying the s

sunshine

all the best

Rachel and Craig

Jilliebee Jun 17th 2017 9:07 am

Re: hello all from Rachel+Craig>>>>Brisbane

Hello to you both!

We came over as laterals 8 years ago. Started in Darwin and now in Melbourne. Brisbane is an excellent place to live (apparently). It's a very sought after posting location anyway. The Coasts north and south of Brissie are very much what a lot of Brits think all of Australia is like - I'm sure you'll love it.

ScousieG Jun 18th 2017 10:26 am

Thank you Gillian thats reassuring, my wife and i have never been to Brisbane had a couple of trips to Melbourne. we look forward to nosing about!

Livinthedream1 Jun 26th 2017 9:25 pm

Hi Craig wonder if you could give me some info. We are (fingers crossed) hoping to transfer and have been looking at 186 visa. Did you wife still require a skills assessment? I gather by having a British passport no English test is required. We have previously had a negative skills assessment but that was for a job on skills list. How do the ADF work this? Interviews are end of the month so I'm kinda getting ahead of myself but just trying to gather all info so we are good to go if it works out

Cheers

ScousieG Jun 27th 2017 6:16 am

hi "Living the dream",

my wife is a nurse so her skills where transferable easily, i don't know what trade you are? but the wife had to apply for their registration services, send all degree transcripts, send all NMC info. during her two day selection process she had medicals, interviews and a question set designed for mental aptitude. your right about the english exam.

fire away with anymore questions

good luck for the interview.

C

Jilliebee Jun 28th 2017 10:07 am

Originally Posted by Livinthedream1 (Post 12280910)
Did you wife still require a skills assessment?

Cheers

For the visa you won't need to do another skills assessment - the Trade Assessment by the ADF is a skills assessment so if you've passed that then it's all good.

Good luck for your interview - remember it's also your opportunity to ask loads of questions of them to get as much info as you can xx

ScousieG Jun 28th 2017 7:23 pm

Agreed Jilliebee, goodluck

john_hepburn Jul 13th 2017 10:50 am

Scousie, wasn't aware that AR could transfer to ADF.

Was your wife able to go direct entry? How difficult was process etc?

If you'd rather not say that's OK, PERSEC and all that.