hello

Old Jun 20th 2003, 5:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road
Smile hello

hello
i'm new to this site so bear with me!
myself, hubby Mark and daughter Chanelle are hoping to emigrate to surrounding areas of Brisbane, under the visa Skilled Independent! Hubby is a plasterer so needs to have his skills assessed by the TRa!
spoke to our agent (global visas) today, at long last he thinks we're ready to submit the mound of paperwork to the TRA but first needs to get it checked by his superiors!
what i'm asking is any tips, advice on how to stop the worrying? we just want to be living in Australia now!!!! really hard to keep motivated in this country, ie work, day to day life, etc!
any hints, tips would be grateful!
rach
Old Jun 20th 2003, 5:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

Lots of booze!!!

Footie chick

Sorry sensibly you are going to have up and down days. my postman got sick of the sight of me whilst waiting for the TRA and now we await the visa.

Good luck
Old Jun 20th 2003, 6:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Default tra

will the tra inform us directly or will it be through our agent?
are they pretty quick at giving a decision!
by the way, footie chick, i like the idea of lots of booze!
Old Jun 20th 2003, 6:25 pm
Forum Regular

edwin is an unknown quantity at this point

Atm the TRA takes around 8 weeks for the assesment.It used to be 4-6 but it seems they are kinda busy.In my case my agent will receive the outcome,but depends on how they state the way of contact in the papers.(she better call me quick when they receive the decision lol)
AHHHH this waiting game is getting on my nerves !!(and alcohol doesn't help me @ all..tried it in different quantities but none helped..worries tend to float very good :-) )
Old Jun 20th 2003, 8:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Welcome to the site!

The first thing you need to do is put Pommie Bastard, Wilf and Dotty amonst others on your ignore list. Do not read any threads that they have posted as they might offend/ upset you.

Secondly you need to be very patient!!The waiting is awful, but it will happen then the worst thing seems to be selling your house.
The skilled independent visas seem to be coming in much quicker this year. Expect anything from 3 - 12 months.

It will be worth the wait when you finally get out there.

It is nice to see a new member, we are heading to the Sunshine Coast, 50 mins from Brisbane so keep in touch.

Tina
Old Jun 20th 2003, 8:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Default Tina

Hi Tina
thanks for your welcome, and advice! i looked at previous messages before joining, so new a bit about Wilf, Pommie Bastard etc!
wow 3 -12 months! that should whizz by, fingers crossed, i saw a clairvoyant last December who said i would be living in a country begining with A within 2 years, never seen/spoken to this woman before, ever! i'd be really chuffed if we were there within 12 months!
as i said our agent is hoping to lodge to the Tra next week
we've looked at surrounding areas of Brisbane, Samford/Albany Creek areas, some lovely properties, will you rent/buy/build?
do you have children/family, what do they think about your forthcoming move so far away? do you have family there already?
we don't and i don't think our families quite believe that we will ever get there!
chat again soon
rach
Old Jun 20th 2003, 8:29 pm
Be true to your skew

Pookin is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Guys

The whole process is a bit of a roller-coaster and you will probably experience a lot of different emotions - everything from wow yeah! to oh my god what are we doing - beats boredom anytime!

We settled down for the long wait and ended up being accepted in 2 months flat, which was fine as we rent and have no kids/possessions to speak of, but still a shock to the system as we were were planning our savings over a year!

Keep talking about it and planning and looking forward ie be a 'naive dreamer' as they say on this site!

A lot is made of the so-called 'big' issues.
We amuse ourselves at work with screen-savers of our favourite Perth places, looking on the Coles website at the booze prices etc.

Footie Chick's right about the 'lots of booze' - lost count of the number of 'we must have an Aussie summit meeting tonight at the local' that we've done.

Also involve all your friends/family as they always ask for updates and this keeps it all ticking over and kind of validates it all.
Old Jun 20th 2003, 8:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Default thanks pookin

thanks for that advice Pookin, really helpful! i must have looked at some many houses on site, different builders etc.! prices our sooooo cheap, im a company secretary for a countrywide estate agents, so now just how cheap property is in Oz!
sometimes wish we had never told anyone of our plans cos everybody says 'any news from Australia yet', i have got to the point of nearly screaming at them!
the web is a marvellous thing isn't it? how would i have found out about all the places in Australia and this site without it! i am amazed that i haven't got square eyes, looking at a screen all day then again all night!
thanks again for the advice mate, how come your application was so quick, what visa did you apply for? did you use an agent?
regards
rach
Old Jun 20th 2003, 8:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gra.B is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: hello

Hi Nosuch,

There's a meeting happening in a few weeks, near Winchester Sunday arvo(!) 6th July. Just thought you might be interested, not too far from you. Have a look on here for a post called 'Hampshire meet', or something like that.

Gra..
Old Jun 20th 2003, 9:28 pm
Be true to your skew

Pookin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: thanks pookin

Originally posted by nosuchluck
thanks for that advice Pookin, really helpful! i must have looked at some many houses on site, different builders etc.! prices our sooooo cheap, im a company secretary for a countrywide estate agents, so now just how cheap property is in Oz!
sometimes wish we had never told anyone of our plans cos everybody says 'any news from Australia yet', i have got to the point of nearly screaming at them!
the web is a marvellous thing isn't it? how would i have found out about all the places in Australia and this site without it! i am amazed that i haven't got square eyes, looking at a screen all day then again all night!
thanks again for the advice mate, how come your application was so quick, what visa did you apply for? did you use an agent?
regards
rach
Hi Rach

Just seemed to be sheer luck although we did put a mammouth application together - about 5 inches thick with a posh cover and sections and even a photo for each of our 10 years together. (Tried to anticipate everything that they might ask us!).

Boyfriend is an Applications/Analyst Programmer and I came under Business Professionals nec (not otherwise specifed - ie vague, could be anything category!)

Also we had lived in Perth for a year under a working holiday visa and had lots of letters/ work experience from English and Aussie mates saying nice things (Ooooh that cost in bribes!).

Any more questions about how we put our application together - please ask.

You're right about the web, I do business intelligence research for a living and 'live' on the web. Couldn't live without it.

As we're off to Perth we spend a lot of time on the REIWA - http://www2.reiwa.com/content-home.cfm website, 'choosing' our house.

If you start looking at this forum regularly (believe me it is addictive!) you are going to hear a lot of conflicting advice, so stay focused!

P.S - no, didn't use an agent, but I know that some people have found it really useful, have a check on previous posts or post a new question.

Last edited by Pookin; Jun 20th 2003 at 9:35 pm.
Old Jun 20th 2003, 9:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Rach

Yes the booze helps!! but in moderation.

Just of to bed now but have spent tonite with a lovely bottle of aus wine and also watching programmes taped from satelite programmes about Brisbane, they were really good. It makes things look a bit more real. And before any one replies i realise that the shows are aimed at tourists not people hoping to live there !!

Other than that hang in in there

footie chick
Old Jun 20th 2003, 9:50 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Just to say G'day to Rach, Mark and Chanelle; more prospective migrants for Brisbane! Goody goody!
I'm heading for Clayfield, northern suburb of Brissie, leaving the UK on Hallowe'en. I'm one of the lucky ones, marrying an Aussie, so quick visa processing and going out to a home already for me. Just have the stress of waiting for my stuff to catch up with me!
Can't help much with the questions on your type of visa, but I'll be in there with the moral support...... you'll certainly need the "lots of booze", also lots of patience, and a sense of humour will help too.
as for if you have any questions, I discovered that if you post them on the forums, however daft they seem, someone out there will have a good idea of the answer!

Good luck
Old Jun 20th 2003, 9:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of
Default Re: Tina

Originally posted by nosuchluck
Hi Tina
thanks for your welcome, and advice! i looked at previous messages before joining, so new a bit about Wilf, Pommie Bastard etc!
wow 3 -12 months! that should whizz by, fingers crossed, i saw a clairvoyant last December who said i would be living in a country begining with A within 2 years, never seen/spoken to this woman before, ever! i'd be really chuffed if we were there within 12 months!
as i said our agent is hoping to lodge to the Tra next week
we've looked at surrounding areas of Brisbane, Samford/Albany Creek areas, some lovely properties, will you rent/buy/build?
do you have children/family, what do they think about your forthcoming move so far away? do you have family there already?
we don't and i don't think our families quite believe that we will ever get there!
chat again soon
rach
We have 3 children and no family in Aus. We told most of our family last Christmas and they took it in varying ways. From tears to support. Luckily they are all behind us now. In fact my mother-in-law wants to join us!

I am hoping to bring my Mum out April next year and I pray that she likes it. I would like her to join us on a retirement visa, I don't like the thought of her here on her own. She is really upset about her only Grandchildren leaving, but understands that we want a different sort of life to what we have here.

We visited nearly a year ago now and loved The Sunshine Coast area, around Caloundra, Maroochydore way. We will rent for 6/12 months and then probably buy land and build.

I am sure it will all happen sooner than you expect we applied last Oct expected at least a year and had meds/police requests after 5 months. We got our visas a couple of weeks ago. We aim to leave at the end of Dec/ Jan. Hoping to save up some money, sell the house, resign etc before then.

Keep in touch you can always pm me.

Tina
Old Jun 21st 2003, 4:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Talking Thank you

g'day everyone,
just wanted to say thanks to all that replied to my message of hello!
its a great site here and so friendly
this is such a big step isnt' it, really want to go and make it work but there are days when i think its all a pipe dream and as my user name suggest sometimes i can feel pessimistic
but we are determined and forever hopeful, even chanelle wants to start every morning with the sun shining, obviously we realise it does rain in oz!
one of the main reasons is we don't want to be told what to do by the Germans (no disrespect to any Germans on here), also because Mark is self employed he works 6 sometimes 7 days a week, because we only bought our home 4 years ago we'll be lucky not to have to work till we're 70 to clear the mortgage, we realise that Mark will still have to work in Oz but our home will be ours and maybe he can retire before he's on his death bed, we want to spend more time as a family and enjoy life rather than have to just muddle through!
what are everyone else's reason for wanting out of the UK?
best wishes to you all
rach
Old Jun 21st 2003, 5:59 pm

kevwalt is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool

hi just got to hang in there, after the tra stuff it becomes quite straight forward

kev

(brickie) heading over in 9 days will look at the building game in Perth & Brisbane and will post any info i get brickwork & plastering

good luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.