Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Helensvale/Upper Coomera/Coomera?

Helensvale/Upper Coomera/Coomera?

Old Oct 11th 2005, 3:54 am
GC family day carer

68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute
Default Helensvale/Upper Coomera/Coomera?

Hi guys, I'm after a bit of info if there's anyone out there who can help.
We've had a good scout about and decided we like Upper Coomera and Helensvale followed by Coomera.
Does anyone live in or near these areas? Can you give me an insight as to what it's like to live in or around these areas, or on the other hand, have you looked at and decided against or moved away from these areas?
Any help will be rewarded with k
Marie
Old Oct 11th 2005, 4:07 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Helensvale/Upper Coomera/Coomera?

Originally Posted by 68MEVY
We've had a good scout about and decided we like Upper Coomera and Helensvale followed by Coomera.
Does anyone live in or near these areas? Can you give me an insight as to what it's like to live in or around these areas, or on the other hand, have you looked at and decided against or moved away from these areas?
Marie
We live in Helensvale. Good points:

It has most of what you need - good schools, kindy's, a bowls club for cheap booze/ food, shops, a Westfield opening on Thursday, a train link to Brisbane, easy access to M1 and Harbour town by car, cricket club, swimming pool, tak-aways, pubs, golf club, parks.

The down side is it's very quiet and difficult to get around withough a car. If you're a car driver then you'll be fine. It also gets seriously hot without the coastal breeze. To me it's a bit like living on one of those Barrats estates of new houses that grow on the outskirts of every town in the UK. I really don't like them, but plenty of people do. Hence we're gonna move, probably to Southport coz - it's more real. This is a difficult thing to explain but having lived near a city centre most of my life, I miss that feeling of life that you don't get in the burbs. That said plenty of people love Helensvale.

Paul.
Old Oct 11th 2005, 6:36 am
GC family day carer

68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by diddy
We live in Helensvale. Good points:

It has most of what you need - good schools, kindy's, a bowls club for cheap booze/ food, shops, a Westfield opening on Thursday, a train link to Brisbane, easy access to M1 and Harbour town by car, cricket club, swimming pool, tak-aways, pubs, golf club, parks.

The down side is it's very quiet and difficult to get around withough a car. If you're a car driver then you'll be fine. It also gets seriously hot without the coastal breeze. To me it's a bit like living on one of those Barrats estates of new houses that grow on the outskirts of every town in the UK. I really don't like them, but plenty of people do. Hence we're gonna move, probably to Southport coz - it's more real. This is a difficult thing to explain but having lived near a city centre most of my life, I miss that feeling of life that you don't get in the burbs. That said plenty of people love Helensvale.

Paul.

Thanks for all that Paul sent you some karma.
Exactly what we were wanting, good and bad points. It could turn out being a bit quiet for us but we do both drive and it's relatively near the relatives but not on their doorstep which is good if you know what I mean.

Anyone else in these areas got any info?

Marie
Old Oct 11th 2005, 7:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Sue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 68MEVY
Marie

Hi Marie

We liked Helensvale too...What other areas have you looked at? We've settled in Currumbin Waters near shops and we can walk to Palm beach from here. Elanora and Robina also a few others that are really nice too. Its nice here as its near the coast you get a cool breeze. If you around this way give me a shout

Sue x

Last edited by Sue2; Oct 11th 2005 at 8:15 am.
Old Oct 11th 2005, 1:45 pm
Forum Regular

goldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nice

It was reported in the new this week that Helensvale houses have dropped in price. Our stats show the same compared to the rest of the Gold Coast, so you may just get a reasonable buy.

Westfield Helensvale opens this Thursday and I would believe this will see prices increase because of the convenience of a close major shopping centre.

When it comes to the different suburbs, the quality of the suburb or street for that matter is determined by how many rentals there are.

Now before you jump down my throat - we rent!

Next door to us just last week, a petrol bomb was thrown into the garage trying to kill the guy who lives in the garage! Lots of people live in garages on the Gold Coast.

Colin's weekly newsletter last week gave this advice when choosing an area and specific for Parkwood but the same anywhere you are considering living:

......Parkwood is a suburb close to Griffith University and so many homes close-by are being purchased and then converted into student accommodation, so an average four bedroom home could actually house eight students. Garages are often converted into two bedrooms. So, in saying this, if you are wishing to buy as an owner occupier, always look at the surrounding homes where you are considering buying after 6pm. How many cars are parked out the front of the neighbour's homes? Will this effect the way you wish to live?

House blocks are of a good size, unlike many other areas where the council allows for a zero building line. If you want privacy, you need to consider the size of your house block, or you just may be selling up twelve months later.

One of the main roads is Napper Road and this road divides Parkwood and Arundel. Cross the road and properties are worth more for an Arundel address, yet Arundel has smaller house blocks. Napper Road is known as a bit of a drag strip. Always look for tyre rubber on the roads where you are thinking of buying!........

The Gold Coast is very different to other areas. One one side of the street you can have luxury homes on canals and on the otherside of the road, rentals that are run-down. Other than gated estates or areas such as Coomera Waters with body corporate fees, you will always find a real mix.

It is amazing how many people move within the first six months, realising they really do not like where they are living. NEVER buy first! Always rent first!!

AND . . . .

When you do rent, make sure you get a good rental agency. I know of a English family who are currently in court trying to get of their lease because of so many problems with the house they are renting. It is really sad as it has tarnished their first experiences of living in Australia and it should not be that way.

Gayle
Old Oct 11th 2005, 2:28 pm
?????????

paulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by goldcoastrealestate
It was reported in the new this week that Helensvale houses have dropped in price. Our stats show the same compared to the rest of the Gold Coast, so you may just get a reasonable buy.

Westfield Helensvale opens this Thursday and I would believe this will see prices increase because of the convenience of a close major shopping centre.

When it comes to the different suburbs, the quality of the suburb or street for that matter is determined by how many rentals there are.

Now before you jump down my throat - we rent!

Next door to us just last week, a petrol bomb was thrown into the garage trying to kill the guy who lives in the garage! Lots of people live in garages on the Gold Coast.

Colin's weekly newsletter last week gave this advice when choosing an area and specific for Parkwood but the same anywhere you are considering living:

......Parkwood is a suburb close to Griffith University and so many homes close-by are being purchased and then converted into student accommodation, so an average four bedroom home could actually house eight students. Garages are often converted into two bedrooms. So, in saying this, if you are wishing to buy as an owner occupier, always look at the surrounding homes where you are considering buying after 6pm. How many cars are parked out the front of the neighbour's homes? Will this effect the way you wish to live?

House blocks are of a good size, unlike many other areas where the council allows for a zero building line. If you want privacy, you need to consider the size of your house block, or you just may be selling up twelve months later.

One of the main roads is Napper Road and this road divides Parkwood and Arundel. Cross the road and properties are worth more for an Arundel address, yet Arundel has smaller house blocks. Napper Road is known as a bit of a drag strip. Always look for tyre rubber on the roads where you are thinking of buying!........

The Gold Coast is very different to other areas. One one side of the street you can have luxury homes on canals and on the otherside of the road, rentals that are run-down. Other than gated estates or areas such as Coomera Waters with body corporate fees, you will always find a real mix.

It is amazing how many people move within the first six months, realising they really do not like where they are living. NEVER buy first! Always rent first!!

AND . . . .

When you do rent, make sure you get a good rental agency. I know of a English family who are currently in court trying to get of their lease because of so many problems with the house they are renting. It is really sad as it has tarnished their first experiences of living in Australia and it should not be that way.

Gayle
Excellent advice, Whats the score with these "gated" houses?
are they any better or worse than a ordinary street property?