Reload this Page >

The heebee jeebees!!!!

The heebee jeebees!!!!

Old Jun 25th 2003, 10:28 pm
Forum Regular

millertime is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The heebee jeebees!!!!

Hi everyone!

Been reading through some of the posts this evening and dont think I have helped my case of the heebee jeebees!

We are heading to NZ in September. Will stop and see family for a week in Christchurch and then head to Tauranga to try and get work and well settle!
I have a whv and my partner has a visitor visa. I have been told by agencys etc that there is a shortage of dental nurses and I should be able to get a job and a work visa for the two of us ney bother. (We are prepared for it not to be that easy!)

Anyway we are getting our house photographed on Friday ready to sell and are just going to go for it.

Part of me is saying - well whats the worst that could happen, no job etc and run out of money, head back to the UK and maybe pick somewhere completely new to live BUT the other part of me is saying oh maybe we should stay here, we have travelled and seen so maybe we should just settle and keep our house etc

Sorry to babble on! Wondering if anyone out there has done something similar and has it been successful or not?
Second thoughts are natural arent they??!!
Old Jun 25th 2003, 10:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Of couse second thoughts are normal!!

It happens to all of us however well you plan it even if you have family out there already. It is a risk, but think to yourself 'will I ever be happy if we don't go? If the answer is no then you are doing the right thing.

We are worrying a bit at the moment but it does fluctuate depending on my mood!!

I just think it is the chance of a lifetime and you can always come back. You might lose a bit of money and have a different house but so what??You will have experienced life living abroad which will no doubt give you an enriching experience.
Old Jun 25th 2003, 10:53 pm
Forum Regular

The Simpsons is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The heebee jeebees!!!!

Go for it!

We've just sold our house and me, hubby and 3 young kids are hoping to get a job search visa by the end of the year! I'm petrified! What if I don't get a job etc, will I have to come back to the UK minus a load of money!!!

Life's too short! Go with your instincts, I'm sure you'll be fine. And if it doesn't work out, you had a go and who wants to look back on their life and wonder 'what if I'd done this, why didn't I try that etc'

I'm not looking at emigrating with rose tinted glasses, but it works out for a lot of people, so why not us! I'm willing to take the risk, as many have done before!

Good luck!

Old Jun 26th 2003, 3:36 am
Forum Regular

smithone is an unknown quantity at this point

If you don't do it then every time you have a bad day in the UK you'll think "If only we moved to new Zealand....."

New Zealand is a great country (by no means perfect) but if things don't work out then you can always go back to the UK knowing the grass isn't always greener.
Old Jun 26th 2003, 4:30 am
Forum Regular

Akaubear is an unknown quantity at this point

I reckon you wouldn't be normal if you didn't have second thoughts! But as everyone has said: "Go for it!" You'll regret it a lot more if you don't....

Anyway - you'll love it in Tauranga, I'm sure. We're down the road in Papamoa, and it's fabulous! The weather today has been amazing. Pretty cold to start with, but brilliant blue skies & sunshine. I was walking around in jeans and a t-shirt this afternoon - in Winter!!!

All the best,
Nicola.
Old Jun 26th 2003, 4:33 am
Forum Regular

smithone is an unknown quantity at this point

Weather in Auckland today has been superb too.

16 degrees and not a cloud in the sky - not bad for mid winter.
Old Jun 26th 2003, 5:09 am
Forum Regular

xpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nice

[QUOTE]Originally posted by smithone Same as every one else has said really, we've been in Auckland nearly 2 years now and love it but - have you considered renting out your house for a while instead of selling ? - That way you know you've got something to go back to if you do find you have regrets after 6 months or so.
Because of the hike in house prices, it may be hard to return - i know we couldn't afford to do it now !
This isn't meant to put you off , just a practical thing that we didn't think of at the time
Good Luck !
Old Jun 26th 2003, 6:39 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Immigrations like marriage really.

Exciting when its all new, jelly feet just as you just take the plunge, honeymoon is followed by hum drum routine, then 50% get divorced and 50% live happily ever after.

Just make sure you check out what you marry.

:scared:
Old Jun 26th 2003, 7:34 am
Forum Regular

millertime is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Thank you so much folks!

Cheers for all the positive words....I know that if we don't go we will regret it!

We have been back in the UK for nearly a year following a years working holiday in Australia. We visited NZ for a month too but feel we still have so much to see there. Think we have just got into the safe zone lately and needed a good old kick up the bum!

Good luck to the Simpsons! Hope all goes well for you - where are you heading and what is a work search visa?

Hi Akaubear - Sounds like you have really settled. Papamoa is where we were thinking of heading to live. Have heard renting can be a hard so will start looking into it. Hopefully once settled could buy a place then. Is it expensive there?
Good luck for your future life in Papamoa!!

Xpat19 - did think of renting as thats what we did previously but this time we would like to head more long term and not have the hassle of tenants. We were lucky last time but have heard a few horror stories too! Couldnt afford to pay a British mortgage on NZ wages!!

But thanks again everyone!
Feeling very positive now and if things dont work out we have tried it and its not the end of the world.