Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Heathrow - Singapore - Sydney

Heathrow - Singapore - Sydney

Old Aug 27th 2008, 8:16 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute
Default Heathrow - Singapore - Sydney

Hey guys,
There will be plenty of threads from me over the next few weeks, ah deal with it lol.

I am flying on 1st October to the above mentioned airports. Just wondering how the connecting flights system works for this. The longest long haul flight I've done was Dublin - Glasgow - Newark - Florida. Basically it was check in baggage in Dublin, find baggage in hotel room in Orlando (nice). Just wondering how it would work on this particular journey.

I'm arriving in Singapore 6 hours before my flight to Sydney. Will this involve checking in again with baggage considering my flight is so far ahead?

Also, as I am travelling by different airline from Dublin to Heathrow, I assume that I have to recheck my baggage in for Singapore Airlines in Heathrow for the connecting flight (which is 3 hours later).
Old Aug 27th 2008, 8:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Russ_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really nice
Default Re: Heathrow - Singapore - Sydney

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
Hey guys,
There will be plenty of threads from me over the next few weeks, ah deal with it lol.

I am flying on 1st October to the above mentioned airports. Just wondering how the connecting flights system works for this. The longest long haul flight I've done was Dublin - Glasgow - Newark - Florida. Basically it was check in baggage in Dublin, find baggage in hotel room in Orlando (nice). Just wondering how it would work on this particular journey.

I'm arriving in Singapore 6 hours before my flight to Sydney. Will this involve checking in again with baggage considering my flight is so far ahead?

Also, as I am travelling by different airline from Dublin to Heathrow, I assume that I have to recheck my baggage in for Singapore Airlines in Heathrow for the connecting flight (which is 3 hours later).
we are doing heathrow-singapore-sydney on the 22nd september with singapore airlines...

i'll give you an update when i get there on what the stopover etc was like in singapore.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 8:22 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Russ_Sarah
we are doing heathrow-singapore-sydney on the 22nd september with singapore airlines...

i'll give you an update when i get there on what the stopover etc was like in singapore.
That would be excellent, thank you very much.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 8:25 am
Forum Regular

emigratingherberts will become famous soon enoughemigratingherberts will become famous soon enough

You won't have to re-check your bags at Singapore. They will just be put on the next flight for you so you won't see them again until Sydney. Singapore airport is huge so you will be able to have a long walk during your stop there.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 8:30 am

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute

IF you are traveling on one itinerary, i.e. one ticket for all forward legs of the trip, you normally check in the luggage to the final destination. It even may be different airlines, so long as they are in some sort of alliance, it works.

If you are traveling on different tickets, there is still a chance to check it in all the way through, but only if the both airlines have a baggage transfer agreement - i.e. call the company and ask.

NJ
Old Aug 27th 2008, 8:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by emigratingherberts
You won't have to re-check your bags at Singapore. They will just be put on the next flight for you so you won't see them again until Sydney. Singapore airport is huge so you will be able to have a long walk during your stop there.
Thanks. Considering the length of the flight to Singapore, the walk will be most welcome. I guess I have to recheck in though at Singapore for the Sydney flight or can that be done in Heathrow?
Old Aug 27th 2008, 8:36 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

No. Your baggage will be checked through to Sydney. You won't get it in Singapore.

Check out the Singapore Airport website for their In-Transit hotel. No need to go through immigration/customs and great for a few hours sleep.

That's one of those "it depends" questions. Do have one ticket for the whole journey and is this leg an official connecting flight? In that case it's likely that your luggage is checked through to Sydney.

But if you have two tickets; it's not an official connecting flight, just a flight you have chosen yourself because the times suit your next leg - then you need to collect your luggage in Heathrow and check-in again for the next leg. That's going to be a monumental pain!

Don't know when you've last been through Heathrow ... but it can take a long time to get your luggage and then get to another terminal. If you can, do internet check-in for your leg with Singapore Airlines. This will at least cut down on the time you need for checking-in with Singapore Airlines.

If you look on the Heathrow Aiport website: They used to have information on how much time you need to allow to catch a "connecting" flight. Added: o.k. Found it: http://www.heathrowairport.com/porta...t+Connections/

Go through the steps under "Your connections guide".

Gina

Last edited by GinaUK; Aug 27th 2008 at 8:42 am.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 8:39 am
BE Enthusiast

soulrebel will become famous soon enoughsoulrebel will become famous soon enough

Hi Nige

We are flying Dublin-Heathrow-Singapore-Sydney (with singapore airlines) on the 13th September and as far as I know we just check the bags in at Dublin and pick them up from the carousel in Sydney. (Well I hope thats whats gonna happen!!!).

We didn't book online as we have an infant and had to book through their Dublin office so we booked it all on the phone and even though we booked along time ago I seem to remember the girl told me this.
And aerlingus operate a flight share with singapore so it is basically one booking/flight so it should go all the way.

The number of their Dublin office is 01-6710722 so give them a call. The girl to talk to is Clareanna. She is very helpful.

Let me know what she says.

Last edited by soulrebel; Aug 27th 2008 at 8:42 am.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 8:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Cheers guys, all excellent replies. Looks like I'll be going from Heathrow Term 1 to Term 3. Hopefully I wont be too difficult to find my way around.
Thanks again.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 8:45 am
BE Enthusiast

soulrebel will become famous soon enoughsoulrebel will become famous soon enough

Cheers guys, all excellent replies. Looks like I'll be going from Heathrow Term 1 to Term 3. Hopefully I wont be too difficult to find my way around.
Thanks again.

I think we have 3 hours at Heathrow to get from T1 to T3 and its not that bad really. Only have 2 hours in Singapore then straight on to Sydney.
Does anyone know if it is a long walk to get the connecting flight in Singapore?? Hope not as we will have a baby with us.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 8:46 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like I'll be going from Heathrow Term 1 to Term 3.
I feared that might be the case. Just be aware that Term 1 is usually wall-to-wall full with people. This means "walking" especially if you have a trolley full of cases is very difficult - snails crawl faster.

Term 1 to Term 3 is a long way to walk (you'll be boiling hot at the end of it - speaking from experience).

Gina

Last edited by GinaUK; Aug 27th 2008 at 8:55 am.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 8:54 am
Banned

Originally Posted by soulrebel
I think we have 3 hours at Heathrow to get from T1 to T3.
You'll need to get your skates on then. It could be 45 minutes before you get your bags in T1. Then a long walk to T3. Queueing to check in your bags. Then allow an hour to get through security (unless you're travelling business class). Then walk to the gate (at least a 10 minute walk).

Only have 2 hours in Singapore then straight on to Sydney.
Does anyone know if it is a long walk to get the connecting flight in Singapore?? Hope not as we will have a baby with us.
The connecting flight should be in the same terminal. But each terminal is huge and has many gates. We've been though Singapore Airport twice and it was a long walk both times.

But Singapore Airport is nothing like Heathrow. There is plenty of space. It's air-conditioned. And there are plenty of travellators. Two hours will be plenty of time to get from one gate to another even with a baby. You should have enough time to get some food and a drink as well.

Gina
Old Aug 27th 2008, 9:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GinaUK
You'll need to get your skates on then. It could be 45 minutes before you get your bags in T1. Then a long walk to T3. Queueing to check in your bags. Then allow an hour to get through security (unless you're travelling business class). Then walk to the gate (at least a 10 minute walk).

Gina

Thanks Gina
As far as I know our bags will be checked through all the way from Dublin straight to Sydney so we won't have the hassle of checking them in again in Heathrow. At least thats what they told us.
If we have to check them in again I won't be a happy camper as I would have gone Dublin-Frankfurt-Singapore then.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 9:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Russ_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really nice

Thanks Gina
As far as I know our bags will be checked through all the way from Dublin straight to Sydney so we won't have the hassle of checking them in again in Heathrow. At least thats what they told us.
If we have to check them in again I won't be a happy camper as I would have gone Dublin-Frankfurt-Singapore then.
apparently there is a leisure centre in the middle of the airport with a swimming pool on the roof..
Old Aug 27th 2008, 9:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Russ_Sarah
apparently there is a leisure centre in the middle of the airport with a swimming pool on the roof..
This is Singapore we're talking about and not Heathrow right? lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.