Reload this Page >

Heaters around the home

Wikiposts

Heaters around the home

Old Apr 10th 2004, 4:48 am
Just Joined

lon2mel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default yes

luckily my house has ducted gas warm air heating in it.
when i moved in ,4 weeks ago, i looked at it thinking 'when the hell would i be using that?' anyway ,i've used it the last few evenings when it gets below 19c.
now i know!!
Old Apr 10th 2004, 11:27 am
ABCDiamond

Heaters ? we've still got the ceiling fans going, night and day

Old Apr 10th 2004, 11:36 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know about the westies but windows are still wide open 24 hours here.

I nearly felt like putting on a second layer but decided the T-Shirt was still enough.
Old Apr 10th 2004, 11:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Jaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura about
Default Hot Flush

It is getting really chilly here in the evenings and the house that we are renting is a cold house (sun rises and sets the wrong way!!) so last night I thought I'd try out the portable oil heater.

As I've never used one before, I thought that a couple of hours in the bedroom with the door closed would warm it up nicely. Time to go to bed and the room was like a furnace:scared:

Hadn't realised that it was on full blast, but it was nice not to have to wear my fleecy pyjamas to bed for a change

We've also got a reverse cycle air conditioner in the family room, along with a gas heater (one of the tall things on the wall), and there's an old gas heater thing in the lounge room, which we've been told not to use as it's pretty grotty.

I'm definitely going to be looking for a house with ducted heating once we're in a position to start looking for a house to buy.

But it's a lovely day again in Melbourne today, so we can open the doors and windows and let some heat into the house to warm it up a bit.

Regards
Old Apr 10th 2004, 11:58 am
jib
BE Enthusiast

jib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nice

Heaters are for WIMPS!!

jib
Old Apr 10th 2004, 1:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

I think I have aclimatised too much - anything under 25c and am feeling the cold

When it does start getting cooler here I will prob go to Good Gys and buy a few convector heaters, they heat the room up quicker than the oil filled radiators.

I am glad we decided to move up here as the climate really is fantastic. Hopefully I wont need heaters for a long time.
Old Apr 10th 2004, 1:32 pm
Location.. in my office

cadabra is an unknown quantity at this point

We have a portable gas heater on wheels which can be moved around the home and uses the gas bottle from the BBQ. It is very effective.
Old Apr 10th 2004, 6:46 pm
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

I bought a convector heater just last Thursday and it is brilliant - I have it on the lowest of the low setting and it heats our bedroom a treat ( in fact I had to get up the first morning we had it to turn it off as it was too hot in the room - a room you could literally see your breath in the previous morning!)

I bought a timer plug thingy instead of getting one with a timer and it was cheaper that way.

I was advised convectors were best for heat production- oil filled take forever to do anything so you have to leave them on all day.
Old Apr 10th 2004, 7:32 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Pollster
I bought a convector heater just last Thursday and it is brilliant - I have it on the lowest of the low setting and it heats our bedroom a treat ( in fact I had to get up the first morning we had it to turn it off as it was too hot in the room - a room you could literally see your breath in the previous morning!)

I bought a timer plug thingy instead of getting one with a timer and it was cheaper that way.

I was advised convectors were best for heat production- oil filled take forever to do anything so you have to leave them on all day.
Cheap fan heaters last 1 year, cheap oil heaters 10 years. Difference in time to equal heat output ~3 minutes.
Old Apr 12th 2004, 9:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Gill and Rob
I'm sad I know I am. I DREAM about owning a gas combi-boiler and a central heating system with radiators. I have to stop myself from "fondling" the 4 strutt electric bathroom towel rail.

I'm not asking for much, but I want central heating.

Gill, hot at the moment due to alcohol intake.

Go for the convector heater, instant gratification.
I'm sad too. I miss having an airing cupboard, somewhere nice and warm to put the towels and to dry off any clothes that got damp when it rained. In the winter in the UK, the kids used to put their clothes out the night before on the radiators in their rooms, so when they got up their undies would be nice and warm.
Old Apr 13th 2004, 6:30 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Buy a thick jumper and a pair of bed socks to keep your tootsies warm!!!!!!
Old Apr 13th 2004, 6:31 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Jacqui
I'm sad too. I miss having an airing cupboard, somewhere nice and warm to put the towels and to dry off any clothes that got damp when it rained. In the winter in the UK, the kids used to put their clothes out the night before on the radiators in their rooms, so when they got up their undies would be nice and warm.

And dont forget the thick condensation running down your windows!!!!!!!!
Old Apr 13th 2004, 6:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by sj oldfield
Buy a thick jumper and a pair of bed socks to keep your tootsies warm!!!!!!
Or get some uggies!
Is it just me, or do ugg boots seem to be getting fashionable over here?
Old Apr 13th 2004, 8:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by sj oldfield
And dont forget the thick condensation running down your windows!!!!!!!!
We didn't have condensation after we had the new double-glazing installed - that's something else I miss! We do get terrible condensation here though.

The kids have ugg boots, they're great for when they come out of the swimming pool, saves all the palaver trying to put socks onto damp feet when you're in a hurry to get going!
Old Jun 18th 2004, 5:38 pm
Forum Regular

piers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant future
Default ceramic...

G'day!

Anyone used these new ceramic heaters? Are they any good in terms of efficiency/running cost? The morons in the shops don't give a damn about that and just try and plug the heater they get the most comission on.

Any opinions?

Ta,

Piers

(PS any newspapers looking for an editor )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.