Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

heat wave coming, oh no not again!!!

heat wave coming, oh no not again!!!

Old Mar 17th 2004, 10:51 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of
Default heat wave coming, oh no not again!!!

Another heat wave coming to W.A this weekend, temp forcast in the 40c's!!!!

God not again, thought we'd got through the 'hot' weather and were coming out the other side, seems not!!

Wonder if we can use our air con and fans this time !!!!!!!!!!!! Or will we be plunged into darkeness when Western Power can't cope?!!
Old Mar 17th 2004, 10:56 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: heat wave coming, oh no not again!!!

Originally posted by janeyray
Another heat wave coming to W.A this weekend, temp forcast in the 40c's!!!!

God not again, thought we'd got through the 'hot' weather and were coming out the other side, seems not!!

Wonder if we can use our air con and fans this time !!!!!!!!!!!! Or will we be plunged into darkeness when Western Power can't cope?!!
I can't wait.

I'm looking forward to a couple of days surfing in the morning followed by cold beers by the pool then a barbie before the 4 or 5 months of rain hits us.

It's the Aussie dream
Old Mar 17th 2004, 11:00 pm
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by renth
I can't wait.

I'm looking forward to a couple of days surfing in the morning followed by cold beers by the pool then a barbie before the 4 or 5 months of rain hits us.

It's the Aussie dream
Strewth, mate! Bloody right!
Old Mar 17th 2004, 11:03 pm
Hot and sweaty member!!

yvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond repute

me too renth.....

ive had nice weather since last june/july in uk...dreading the 'cold' weather ...know we need the rain though...hope its not as bad as last yr..as pb kindly showed us with that pic of floods!
Old Mar 18th 2004, 1:41 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

Was just thinking the other week when we had our "cold spell" that we must get the pot belly fixed in time for winter...

A few more hot days to round off the summer will finish things off nicely. Beach after work on Friday then fish n chips at Hillarys....
Hubby will no doubt want to tackle a few splashes on Saturday too then off to the hills on Sunday to really sweat it out in the forecasted 40 degrees.
Old Mar 18th 2004, 12:20 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Actually you're all right about the heat, it's brilliant when you're on the beach. I find I can't really tell how hot it is there, going in and out the sea all the time.

Now I'am working and the building has air con it's hard to tell how hot it actually is outside!! From air con at work to my air conditioned car then back to my BOILING house with only fans to cool me down.!!

The nights are worst, it can be as hot as it likes during the day it's just hard to sleep when it's so hot and muggy at night.

Diane, we love Sharkeys to!!!!!!!
Old Mar 18th 2004, 12:32 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

I read on the news that Western Power can't be sure that there won't be power cuts.....

Good luck! Hope it's not as bad as a few weeks ago!!
:scared:

I remember once (actually it was 1995) my aunt came to visit and end if febuary it was 40 degrees(went back to a motel in the middle of the night after pickup from airport and we went swimming in the pool), and 5 March it was freezing. We were in Walpole/Denmark for the weekend and we were wearing jumpers!! And I think we even lit the fire in the house we were staying at!

Sounds like Melbourne eh? Or at least what they say about Melbourne!
Old Mar 18th 2004, 12:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond repute

Just out of interest when the Autumn/Winter comes in Perth how much rain do you actually get? for example how many days within one month and what are the temperatures like.?
Old Mar 18th 2004, 1:00 pm
Finally made it

Paul and Steph is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by renth
I can't wait.

It's the Aussie dream
Haven't mastered the surfing yet. I bought my other half a boogie board for his birthday and couldn't stop laughing at Mulalloo the other day. He caught the wave until it got near the shore and then his board went one way and he went head over heels the other! Beats hibernating indoors 'cos it's cold outside!

Steph
Old Mar 18th 2004, 1:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Paul and Steph
Haven't mastered the surfing yet. I bought my other half a boogie board for his birthday and couldn't stop laughing at Mulalloo the other day. He caught the wave until it got near the shore and then his board went one way and he went head over heels the other! Beats hibernating indoors 'cos it's cold outside!

Steph
Old Mar 18th 2004, 1:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry about that, I have forgotten how to submit replys. Haven't been on here for ages.

Well Janeyray, I have just had a phone call for a booking for 15 of you on Sunday lunchtime at 40 degrees. I will have to stand there and fan you all whilst you are eating your lunch. Think of the poor buggers in the kitchen cooking it. I can tell you it gets rather warm in there.
Looking forward to meeting you all.
You are a great horsey fan too I hear.

Whisky
Old Mar 18th 2004, 1:16 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Dreamaway 10
Just out of interest when the Autumn/Winter comes in Perth how much rain do you actually get? for example how many days within one month and what are the temperatures like.?
I don't know how much, but if you look at the numbers, remember that there's usually more 'raining cats and dogs' than drizzle.
This is the map for average rainfall in July in WA:
http://www.bom.gov.au/cgi-bin/climat...ual_rnfall.cgi

Mean Minimum temps in July:
http://www.bom.gov.au/cgi-bin/climat...ual_rnfall.cgi

Number of days rain(annually)
http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averag...raindays.shtml

Winter temps in Perth(in my experience):
usually 15-20 degrees during day.
0 - 10 night (which is very cold without heating)
Something like that anyway.
15 during day is also cold, here we turn on the heating when it gets below 20, don't have that in Perth. Other thing is, you get used to the warmer temps... You'll end up wearing thick coats in Perth too, and they themselves(some anyway) wear gloves and beenies.

Ah, this is very interesting/helpful:
Map:
http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/environ/travel/map.shtml

Temperate zone: warm summer, cool winter
http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/enviro...tempzone.shtml
BUT, Perth is on the edge of the Hot Dry Zone, so it is hotter in summer usually, and can be cold at night.
http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/enviro...tdrycool.shtml
Old Mar 18th 2004, 1:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your time Simone thats really useful.
It looks as though it gets really cold at night I shall have to bring the hot water bottle over with me then.
Old Mar 18th 2004, 1:52 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Thanks for your time Simone thats really useful.
It looks as though it gets really cold at night I shall have to bring the hot water bottle over with me then.
No problem, I'm bored, as usual....

Yep, definetly bring it!
Lots of people have electric blankets too btw. Though, we didn't, even though we lived in the Hills and later in the south. Though, the house in the south was very well insulated (well, thick walls)
But friends of ours did.

I'm sort of against electric blankets( scary stuff...) but the tactic seems to be to turn them on an hour before going to bed, and then turn em off when you get in, so that seems safe enough.
Old Mar 18th 2004, 2:12 pm
Forum Regular

Zebra4 is on a distinguished road

Weather here is perfect today, even better the next.
It rains in winter but we have heavy downpours, often overnight, then it's over. It doesn't stay grey and drizzle for days on end.

Daytime temps in winter would be 16 min to 21. But they are mainly sunny, dropping overnight. Houses don't have central heating or double glazing generally.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.