Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

the heat in brisbane

the heat in brisbane

Old Feb 13th 2006, 11:44 am

amanda76 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default the heat in brisbane

hiya guys

been chatting to a friend who has just gone out to oz, arrived beginning of december and they are struggling with the heat................ and it is really affecting the thoughts about oz.....................

this is worrying me abit, having just got my visa!!!!

do you get used to the heat, or will it always be a problem?

when does it begin to get cooler?

any thoughts on the weather?

thanks guys , needing some reassurace at the moment

mand
Old Feb 13th 2006, 12:05 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: the heat in brisbane

Originally Posted by amanda76
hiya guys

been chatting to a friend who has just gone out to oz, arrived beginning of december and they are struggling with the heat................ and it is really affecting the thoughts about oz.....................

mand
It's hot here for 3 months of the year really - Dec, Jan & Feb. Right now the daily temps arent actually too bad (high 20s?), but the humidity is fairly high which makes it uncomfortable as soon as you have to do anything more strenuous than use the remote.

The rest of the year is quite pleasant, it usually starts to cool down a bit in March & by end of April we have pleasant low to mid 20s temps during the day. June, July & August are our coldest months, usually still around 20 celcius during the days but often dropping to single figures in the evening. August often has cold westerly winds which makes it a bit chilly compared to Sept when it starts to warm up again.

I guess it depends on what you like temp wise & what you expect, but you do acclimatise to it especially over a couple of years & learn to handle it the way the ausies do - chill out & slow down when its hot .

BTW, I dont think this summer has been particularly hot again, although it has definitely been warmer than last year.
Old Feb 13th 2006, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
It's hot here for 3 months of the year really - Dec, Jan & Feb. Right now the daily temps arent actually too bad (high 20s?), but the humidity is fairly high which makes it uncomfortable as soon as you have to do anything more strenuous than use the remote.

The rest of the year is quite pleasant, it usually starts to cool down a bit in March & by end of April we have pleasant low to mid 20s temps during the day. June, July & August are our coldest months, usually still around 20 celcius during the days but often dropping to single figures in the evening. August often has cold westerly winds which makes it a bit chilly compared to Sept when it starts to warm up again.

I guess it depends on what you like temp wise & what you expect, but you do acclimatise to it especially over a couple of years & learn to handle it the way the ausies do - chill out & slow down when its hot .

BTW, I dont think this summer has been particularly hot again, although it has definitely been warmer than last year.

yes thanks for the reply, is it your houses people are recommeneding to us????!!!!

LOL

yes i think it is the humidity that is getting too them, and i think they are as you say not chilling and going about life ozzie was, but raising around!!!

mand
Old Feb 13th 2006, 12:24 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

yes thanks for the reply, is it your houses people are recommeneding to us????!!!!

LOL

yes i think it is the humidity that is getting too them, and i think they are as you say not chilling and going about life ozzie was, but raising around!!!

mand
It's really wierd but we arrived end of November and just haven't suffered at all Have used air con very rarely. Only noticed a handful of days when it has been too humid to get on with anything much but apart from that we have all been fine, including first born who reckons she doesn't like it hot

We have found that as long as you have doors and windows open with screens shut you get quite a good breeze though, well we do anyway. Obviously everyone is different with what they can cope with.
Old Feb 13th 2006, 12:25 pm
Rocket Scientist

MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Oooops, had to go check, yes that's us they are taking about.

The humidity is definitely at its worst in the last week of Jan through til the last week in Feb, so we are almost through it now & it will become more pleasant in the next few weeks.

Arriving in Dec threw them in at the deepend which is probably why they have been suffering so much. Much better to arrive in the autumn (Mar/April/May) so you can acclimatise slowly.
Old Feb 13th 2006, 12:27 pm
Rocket Scientist

Originally Posted by moneypen20

We have found that as long as you have doors and windows open with screens shut you get quite a good breeze though, well we do anyway.
The key to successfully keeping cool in Qld .
Old Feb 13th 2006, 12:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

JohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=amanda76]hiya guys

We arrived here in September when the weather was extrememly nice. I found December very hot, but we live in a west facing house so its always at least 4 degrees higher then the rest of Brisbane. I heard on the news that this has been the hottest December. So with that in mind, I think I've coped really well. I'm the first person to flake out in hot weather. As Mrs.D says it is very humid at the moment, so I do feel rather lethargic in the afternoons, and seem to perk up about 7pm ish.

I have been here on holiday in the winter a couple of times (June July) and the weather is absolutely gorgeous during the day - not too hot at all - just really pleasant, though it does get surprisingly cool in the evenings

I do notice the difference in various suburbs, so for example the Bayside areas always seems to get a nice breeze, even when it feels really hot in the city, but Ipswich - now that's bloody hot!!! We were there one day in January and it was 42 degrees. It was horrible.

I found Melbourne both extremely hot and very cold (all in the same weekend) and Sydney...well a bit similar to Brisbane but nowhere near as humid.

So I think you'll get used to it. If I can - then anyone can.

Netta
Old Feb 13th 2006, 12:30 pm

The humidity is definitely at its worst in the last week of Jan through til the last week in Feb, so we are almost through it now & it will become more pleasant in the next few weeks.

Arriving in Dec threw them in at the deepend which is probably why they have been suffering so much. Much better to arrive in the autumn (Mar/April/May) so you can acclimatise slowly.

arrr thanks this is what we thought, and that should be fine for us then!!! we would have it timed well - fingers crossed!!!!

mand
Old Feb 13th 2006, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by moneypen20
It's really wierd but we arrived end of November and just haven't suffered at all Have used air con very rarely. Only noticed a handful of days when it has been too humid to get on with anything much but apart from that we have all been fine, including first born who reckons she doesn't like it hot

We have found that as long as you have doors and windows open with screens shut you get quite a good breeze though, well we do anyway. Obviously everyone is different with what they can cope with.

there is hope then, i think with having just got the visa i am sensitive to anybody "slagging" oz off!!!!

and this weather thing made me think, oh no!!!!

mand
Old Feb 13th 2006, 12:33 pm

[QUOTE=JohnAndNetta]
hiya guys

We arrived here in September when the weather was extrememly nice. I found December very hot, but we live in a west facing house so its always at least 4 degrees higher then the rest of Brisbane. I heard on the news that this has been the hottest December. So with that in mind, I think I've coped really well. I'm the first person to flake out in hot weather. As Mrs.D says it is very humid at the moment, so I do feel rather lethargic in the afternoons, and seem to perk up about 7pm ish.

I have been here on holiday in the winter a couple of times (June July) and the weather is absolutely gorgeous during the day - not too hot at all - just really pleasant, though it does get surprisingly cool in the evenings

I do notice the difference in various suburbs, so for example the Bayside areas always seems to get a nice breeze, even when it feels really hot in the city, but Ipswich - now that's bloody hot!!! We were there one day in January and it was 42 degrees. It was horrible.

I found Melbourne both extremely hot and very cold (all in the same weekend) and Sydney...well a bit similar to Brisbane but nowhere near as humid.

So I think you'll get used to it. If I can - then anyone can.

Netta

hiya netta

thanks for the reply, we are hoping to head bayside!!! so this should be good for us, whereas these friends live 30-40 mins inland

mand
Old Feb 13th 2006, 8:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=amanda76]
Originally Posted by JohnAndNetta

hiya netta

thanks for the reply, we are hoping to head bayside!!! so this should be good for us, whereas these friends live 30-40 mins inland

mand
We live bayside and our friends from Robina always comment on how much cooler it is here to where they are. They have their aircon on much more than us.

Amanda
Old Feb 13th 2006, 9:30 pm
birmingham to brisbane

cam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nice

i agree with most of above .. we live in bayside and have NO aircon

we arrived on the first of december and it has been hot .. but i dont think its been unbearable ... couple of nights have been a bit too humid (last night for example) but generally its okay .. we have all our windows open nearly all of the time and its fine

its can be difficult for the wife to get around during the day tho, with only one car she has to bus it everywhere and that can be a pain in this heat (going to try and pick up a very cheap runaround for her soon)
Old Feb 13th 2006, 9:33 pm
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

We arrived in January 2 years ago in the middle of that really really hot summer. This summer has been mild by comparison. I'm glad we arrived then because we coped OK. If we'd arrived any other time, we would have been wondering what all the fuss was about, and then got the big shock when summer came.

Also I firmly believe that coming before the start of the school year helps the kids settle much easier because they won't be the only newbie in the class.

Jane
Old Feb 13th 2006, 9:41 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

you get used to the heat...this is our second summer in CQLD and we have only suffer with the heat a couple od days(in the sun the temp was off the scale at 55C) we do have aircon in the house but never use it, I hate all the windows being shut up....would rather have the natural breeze whether it be warm or not. Its not good being all shut up with the air con on...especially when people have it set to 18c brrrr. Hubby hates it at work cos the office is freezing lol
Old Feb 13th 2006, 9:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: in a place near the river and the sea where the sun always shines
debbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=amanda76]hiya guys

are you messin???!!! second thoughts my a***!!!! you've got a bloody badge ceromony to attend in brisbane later this year lady so you better be there!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.