Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Heartless new laws

Heartless new laws

Old Jan 29th 2003, 3:49 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Heartless new laws

Whats this country coming too when an honest crook cannot get compo when on the job ?

RELATIVES of crooks injured while committing a crime will not be able to get compensation under planned new West Australian laws.

And current laws which do not expressly rule out damages payouts to injured offenders will be changed to get around a potential loophole which could allow some crooks to obtain compensation.

The amendments come after a WA Government review of the state's criminal injuries compensation laws.

The review followed a case in Sydney last year when almost $50,000 was awarded to a drunken teenager injured when he broke into a hotel residence and was beaten by the occupant.

The youth's mother was given more than $18,000 for nervous shock from seeing her son in hospital.

"In my view, that case was justice gone mad," WA Attorney-General Jim McGinty said.

"It was offensive to the victims of the break-in and the community as a whole."
Currently, the law does not expressly rule out damages payments to such criminals and legislators discovered a potential loophole under which they could obtain compensation.

The new laws will ensure criminals are deemed ineligible to even apply for money.

Old Jan 29th 2003, 4:23 am
BE Enthusiast

jeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant future
Default Re: Heartless new laws

Originally posted by pommie bastard
Whats this country coming too when an honest crook cannot get compo when on the job ?

RELATIVES of crooks injured while committing a crime will not be able to get compensation under planned new West Australian laws.

And current laws which do not expressly rule out damages payouts to injured offenders will be changed to get around a potential loophole which could allow some crooks to obtain compensation.

The amendments come after a WA Government review of the state's criminal injuries compensation laws.

The review followed a case in Sydney last year when almost $50,000 was awarded to a drunken teenager injured when he broke into a hotel residence and was beaten by the occupant.

The youth's mother was given more than $18,000 for nervous shock from seeing her son in hospital.

"In my view, that case was justice gone mad," WA Attorney-General Jim McGinty said.

"It was offensive to the victims of the break-in and the community as a whole."
Currently, the law does not expressly rule out damages payments to such criminals and legislators discovered a potential loophole under which they could obtain compensation.

The new laws will ensure criminals are deemed ineligible to even apply for money.

Hi Pommie has the flu gone ?? how are your plans going for going "home".........
Old Jan 29th 2003, 4:51 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jeannie
Hi Pommie has the flu gone ?? how are your plans going for going "home".........
On the up reguarding health , just had my little terrace house in Joondalup valued at $320K seems about right but they want $7K to sell it , but say they can move it in a month easy as one up the road sold in about the same time , we may try to sell it private.
The dogs are bit of a problem we cannot move them for 6months because of blood tests etc, will cost $3k to ship home.
Wife has an agency sorting out a job in the UK and may get some accomodation sorted at the same time.
Got a new passport looking at my mug I wonder if they let me in, I look I've been on the run.
We need to get back before July the lad is talking about getting married about that time , my getting employment looks no problem so its just the dogs that require sorted and we are away .

Last edited by pommie bastard; Jan 29th 2003 at 5:17 am.
Old Jan 29th 2003, 5:00 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by pommie bastard
On the up reguarding health , just had my little terrace house in Joondalup valued at $320K seems about right but they want $7K to sell it , but say they can move it in a month easy as one up the road sold in about the same time , we may try to sell it private.
The dogs are bit of a problem we cannot move them for 6months because of blood tests etc, will cost $3k to ship home.
Wife has an agency sorting out a job in the UK and may get some accomodation sorted at the same time.
Got a new passport looking at my mug I wonder if they let me in, I look I've been on the run.
We need get back before July the lad is talking about getting married about that time , my getting employment looks no problem so its just the dogs that require sorted and we are away .

PB,

There is a lady in the other room "moving back to the UK" section, she wants to know how much for flights back to the UK regarding her animals... under the thread of "taking cats to UK" , she's a few animals, dogs and cats... perhaps you can help her. I only have cats,I can't help on the dog bit... perhaps you know the current costs and can answer, help her a bit more than I can.

cheers
Old Jan 29th 2003, 5:16 am
Banned

Originally posted by Ceri
PB,

There is a lady in the other room "moving back to the UK" section, she wants to know how much for flights back to the UK regarding her animals... under the thread of "taking cats to UK" , she's a few animals, dogs and cats... perhaps you can help her. I only have cats,I can't help on the dog bit... perhaps you know the current costs and can answer, help her a bit more than I can.

cheers
I will get company names off my dear wife and pass them on , we were quoted $4k and this present mob $3K both pick up and will board for a fee this worked out at $23 per day for 2 dogs.
Old Jan 29th 2003, 10:16 am
Forum Regular

sashimi is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Heartless new laws

I will get company names off my dear wife and pass them on.

aaah, so pommie does have heart after all. I thought he was just this grumpy grouch only to learn he's taking his dogs home with him, bless him
Old Jan 29th 2003, 9:36 pm
up the boro!

denhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant future

so pb. can i just ask how long you have been living in oz and when you moved out there? are things really that bad that you want to move back to the u.k? why not try nz or tazmania? it seems a shame that things havent worked out for you in oz. hope you dont come to regret it when your back in the u.k.
Old Jan 30th 2003, 12:01 am
Banned

Originally posted by denhim
so pb. can i just ask how long you have been living in oz and when you moved out there? are things really that bad that you want to move back to the u.k? why not try nz or tazmania? it seems a shame that things havent worked out for you in oz. hope you dont come to regret it when your back in the u.k.

Been in Perth for 9 years , things are not bad we have a nice home both have reasonable jobs after falling lucky some cash in the bank in fact done as well as most if not better than some.
Sorry to say we had it better in the UK and prefer the life there, Perth is a small town its very limited and travel forget it.
All my family have done well in the UK including my son,I am the poor relation , reading some of the posts on this forum I can see why some want to come to Australia ,but its not easier here you will have to prove your worth , they will put up with an average local they exspect more from the Poms.

Old Jan 30th 2003, 10:09 am
BE Enthusiast

BritboyNZ is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd definitely recommend NZ as denhim suggested - not so hot climate (which for some reason seems to dominate a lot of PB's posts). Work ethic/culture in NZ is completely different to Oz & very similar to home. have u never considered NZ at all PB? despite what the aussies say, it truly is a great place.
Old Jan 31st 2003, 12:25 am
Banned

Originally posted by BritboyNZ
I'd definitely recommend NZ as denhim suggested - not so hot climate (which for some reason seems to dominate a lot of PB's posts). Work ethic/culture in NZ is completely different to Oz & very similar to home. have u never considered NZ at all PB? despite what the aussies say, it truly is a great place.
I do like the Kiwi's and those I have met are nice people on the whole ,also the fact the Aussies dislike them makes them okay in my book
Would like to try NZ but the Mother Country calls , time to return to a green and pleasent land my Expats days are over .

Old Jan 31st 2003, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

Whingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really nice
Default Did I read it right?

Is that right crims can not claim compensation?
What a turn up inportant people with the balls to stand up for decenty.

You comin home P.B hope you have a good sun tan so you fit in.
Just shout assylem and you get a house given to you, you don't have to buy it, save you money if you are that poor.
Old Feb 2nd 2003, 11:29 pm
Banned

Default Re: Did I read it right?

Originally posted by Whingin Pom

Is that right crims can not claim compensation?
What a turn up inportant people with the balls to stand up for decenty.

You comin home P.B hope you have a good sun tan so you fit in.
Just shout assylem and you get a house given to you, you don't have to buy it, save you money if you are that poor.
Sounds good to me maybe get a council house buy it on the cheap and sell it on for nice profit, never sit in the sun got Brit skin it goes bright red like your face?

Old Feb 4th 2003, 6:05 am
BE Enthusiast

suebo is on a distinguished road

PB, I wouldn't complain about $7k in commission. I just sold my house in USA for $180,000 and it is costing me $10K. And to move in to my new house is costing me another $10K. It is a total rip off. $7K isn't too bad. When I sold a rental a couple of years back there for $125K, it cost me $6K in fees. So you are getting off cheaply.

BTW my March trip home has been put off for a couple of months..sob sob.
Old Feb 4th 2003, 6:12 am
Banned

Originally posted by suebo
PB, I wouldn't complain about $7k in commission. I just sold my house in USA for $180,000 and it is costing me $10K. And to move in to my new house is costing me another $10K. It is a total rip off. $7K isn't too bad. When I sold a rental a couple of years back there for $125K, it cost me $6K in fees. So you are getting off cheaply.

BTW my March trip home has been put off for a couple of months..sob sob.
Well I was quoted $9k and knocked them down but phoned up some guy who said on Friday he would do it for $5.5K , phoned me Saturday pissed as rat and changed his mind.
I am getting a board made and put advert the papers its not that hard to sell if its in the right area , a home a few doors up same layout sold in 2 weeks was ex-rental went for $300K.
Sorry about your trip home sounds like you are staying in Yankie land with the new house and all?

Old Feb 4th 2003, 6:15 am
BE Enthusiast

suebo is on a distinguished road

Yeah it is a bummer. I was all geared up to come home for my birthday, but it is just bad timing. We are in the process of getting me a working visa and renewing my hubbys, so it is not recommended to leave the country while changing status. Also with the house, it is going to be too close to that time frame. So hoping to get there for Mother's Day. Spend it with my mum for the second time in 8 years.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.