Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Healthsure and Medicare

Healthsure and Medicare

Old Jun 19th 2007, 2:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

CathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond repute
Default Healthsure and Medicare

I have just rung healthsure to cancel my subscription to them after 15years, for them to tell me that I can keep the account open and if its cheaper for me to claim back the medical payment through them rather than claiming it back (whenever it is) from medicare,then I can. Has anyone else done this???

I dont know enough about medicare to know if we would be in pocket or if we would be able to claim off both.
Old Jun 19th 2007, 3:08 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Healthsure and Medicare

Do Healthsure actually understand that you are permanently moving to Australia???

I don't know of any private health insurance company that allows you to continue to be with them if you permanently move overseas. Some of the larger companies like BUPA have special UK insurance policies for people moving to certain overseas countries - but you still couldn't continue with them on your original policy.

And big companies like BUPA do also exist in Australia and you can get taken on there then. But again you need to transfer over to a new policy.

I would get it from Healthsure in writing that you can continue to claim for dental treatments, glasses/contact lenses (and whatever you have with them) although you will be living in Australia and will be receiving your treatment there.

As for Medicare:
- If you need hospital treatment, then Medicare covers that in full. There is no "reclaim" as you don't pay anything. (But there may be a waiting list for your kind of operation/treatment - if you have private cover you can jump the queue).

- If you see a GP who bulk bills you pay nothing. At other GPs, you will pay for the "gap", which is the difference between the set fee paid for by Medicare and the total fee charged by the GP. (If you take out Oz private health insurance, you can take out Gap cover to pay the "gap". Can't see how Healthsure could have that on a UK policy. That would make no sense.) In the past you had to reclaim the Medicare fee by filling in forms etc. But this has now changed and you do your reclaim through EFTPOS in the GP's office and it is paid into your bank account almost straight away.

- For prescriptions you pay a charge set by Medicare (but there are different charges for different meds). If your total payments for the year go over a certain amount (around $1,000), you pay a reduced charge. There are *no* free meds for ongoing conditions, e.g. asthma inhalers, thyroid medication.

- Medicare does not cover dental treatments. Though in some areas there is a dental school bus providing free basic treatment to school children. If you pay out more than $1,500 in a tax year for medical treatment, you can claim some of it back on your tax return.

- Medicare does not cover the cost of a ride in an ambulance. You can take out insurance just for that. (Again, I can't see how you could get cover for this on a UK Healthsure policy.)

That's a very brief summary on Medicare. There is of course a web site: http://www.medicare.gov.au for more information. (If you want to know more about prescriptions, look under PBS [Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme] on that web site.)

Hope this helps.

Gina

Last edited by GinaUK; Jun 19th 2007 at 3:25 pm.
Old Jun 19th 2007, 4:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

CathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond repute

Yes gina they do know we are moving permanently, but they cover my glasses and dental too, plus a lot of other stuff i have claimed on over the past years. They even explained the exchange rate system they use, they said as long as i have a UK DD set up they can do it no problem.It isnt an issue at all. My policy doesnt change with them.

I have balanced up what I have paid and what I have recieved back, we have private dental care for all of us at the moment which worked better.

The medicare stuff is well written down too Gina. I have seen snippets all over the place, but not all collated like that.

I think it maybe worth me carrying on my healthsure policy as the 'gap' you have mentioned can be covered as long as I send the receipt into healthsure they will refund that too as long as its within my cover range. I have full cover with them and always have had.

Last edited by CathnPaul; Jun 19th 2007 at 4:20 pm.
Old Jun 19th 2007, 4:17 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CathnPaul
Yes gina they do know we are moving permanently, but they cover my glasses and dental too. They even explained the exchange rate system they use.
Brilliant! Then I wouldn't cancel now but keep it going. You can always cancel later if you get private health cover as part of your salary package.

Gina