Reload this Page >

Healthcare/insurance in NZ

Healthcare/insurance in NZ

Old Aug 24th 2002, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

lizzie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Healthcare/insurance in NZ

Hi All

Don't know whether the brain is a bit fogged from all the wine last night, but what happens about healthcare/insurance in NZ when you are there on a work permit?

I guess as me and the kids will be going on visitors visas general holiday insurance would cover it, HOWEVER, I seem to remember reading somewhere in the NZIS blurb that UK nationals may be entitled to emergency medical care in NZ. What exactly does this encompass? I don't expect to be having my varicose veins removed in the first 6 months but would like to know that most other eventualities are catered for!!!

You can tell the initial euphoria has calmed down, to be replaced with all the "what ifs". Didn't expect to get the nod so quickly, has left us floundering a bit. Hubby and I are to have a big conflab tonight about all the technicalities, fortunately still plenty of plonk left!!!

If anyone can help me sleep a bit better tonight by putting my mind at rest I'd be grateful!

Cheers

Lizzie
Old Aug 27th 2002, 9:57 am
Ian Guy

Default Re: Healthcare/insurance in NZ

Covered if you are on a work visa and paying tax.

"lizzie" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi All
    > Don't know whether the brain is a bit fogged from all the wine last night, but what
    > happens about healthcare/insurance in NZ when you are there on a work permit?
    > I guess as me and the kids will be going on visitors visas general holiday
    > insurance would cover it, HOWEVER, I seem to remember reading somewhere in the NZIS
    > blurb that UK nationals may be entitled to emergency medical care in NZ. What
    > exactly does this encompass? I don't expect to be having my varicose veins removed
    > in the first 6 months but would like to know that most other eventualities are
    > catered for!!!
    > You can tell the initial euphoria has calmed down, to be replaced with all the
    > "what ifs". Didn't expect to get the nod so quickly, has left us floundering a
    > bit. Hubby and I are to have a big conflab tonight about all the technicalities,
    > fortunately still plenty of plonk left!!!
    > If anyone can help me sleep a bit better tonight by putting my mind at rest I'd be
    > grateful!
    > Cheers
    > Lizzie
    > --
    > lizzie
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Aug 27th 2002, 9:59 am
Ian Guy

Default Re: Healthcare/insurance in NZ

Oh yeah, as a Brit you get the lot (but will be on the waiting list for routine
stuff). The system is a bit odd (my opinion) - you get free physio if you hurt
yourself white water rafting, but have to pay for kids orthodontic work - so it is
okay to maim yourself, but not okay to give your kids quality of life? Ahh the
wonders of ACC (Accident Compensation Company, or something!!)

"lizzie" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi All
    > Don't know whether the brain is a bit fogged from all the wine last night, but what
    > happens about healthcare/insurance in NZ when you are there on a work permit?
    > I guess as me and the kids will be going on visitors visas general holiday
    > insurance would cover it, HOWEVER, I seem to remember reading somewhere in the NZIS
    > blurb that UK nationals may be entitled to emergency medical care in NZ. What
    > exactly does this encompass? I don't expect to be having my varicose veins removed
    > in the first 6 months but would like to know that most other eventualities are
    > catered for!!!
    > You can tell the initial euphoria has calmed down, to be replaced with all the
    > "what ifs". Didn't expect to get the nod so quickly, has left us floundering a
    > bit. Hubby and I are to have a big conflab tonight about all the technicalities,
    > fortunately still plenty of plonk left!!!
    > If anyone can help me sleep a bit better tonight by putting my mind at rest I'd be
    > grateful!
    > Cheers
    > Lizzie
    > --
    > lizzie
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com