Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Healthcare expenses

Healthcare expenses

Old May 2nd 2017, 12:23 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Healthcare expenses

Originally Posted by renth
I've been here 14 years and I still don't understand private health insurance (apart from denying that you have it when you are in A&E).
Holy cow! I was just thinking about you this morning and wondering how you are.
Old May 2nd 2017, 12:51 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bloodyseppo
Not sure what an 820 visa is exactly, but most temporary visas do not allow you to be covered by Medicare do they? I had to provide full private cover for myself when I was on a 457 visa.
Its a spouse visa. There is no requirement to have private health insurance on a spouse visa, you're covered by Medicare.
Old May 2nd 2017, 2:27 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I've been here 14 years and I still don't understand private health insurance (apart from denying that you have it when you are in A&E).
So true. My wife has just had a minor op done privately - one of those in hospital for half a day jobs. HBF cover most of it but not all and Medicare cover some of it. We are up for a small amount - less than $75. It's very confusing and probably takes an army to administer - which just adds to the cost. You get sorted out really quickly when going private though

In my next life I want to be an anesthetist - those pricks charge like a raging bull! I want to see what car the dude is driving
Old May 3rd 2017, 5:10 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Holy cow! I was just thinking about you this morning and wondering how you are.
LOL, still lurking around!
Old May 3rd 2017, 5:11 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
In my next life I want to be an anesthetist - those pricks charge like a raging bull! I want to see what car the dude is driving
I've seen it and it's better than yours.
Old May 3rd 2017, 8:46 am
Forum Regular

red7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Why would you want to not have private cover if you go to A&E?

Yes, I'm on a Spouse visa (temporary resident), which will change to 801 (permanent resident) in a couple of years.
Old May 3rd 2017, 12:00 pm
(It's not my real name)

Originally Posted by red7
Why would you want to not have private cover if you go to A&E?
Because you will get the exact same treatment as an uninsured patient the only difference being you will get invoices for weeks afterwards for all the "gaps". It's ridiculous.
Old May 3rd 2017, 12:37 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Because you will get the exact same treatment as an uninsured patient the only difference being you will get invoices for weeks afterwards for all the "gaps". It's ridiculous.
Exactly. Mind you, I nearly came unstuck when I did just that after a MVA. No no, I insisted at A&E, I don't have private health insurance. Then a few days later I asked to be transferred to a private hospital, nothing to do with the quality of care, which was excellent, but because there was a bug going round (staph?) and since I had open wounds I didn't want to catch it.

When the ward clerk raised her eyebrows, I just told the truth and nothing more was said. Phew!
Old May 4th 2017, 12:34 am
Forum Regular

red7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, I'm still learning something new every day in this country!

Thanks for that, it wouldn't have even crossed my mind.
Old May 4th 2017, 1:09 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Exactly. Mind you, I nearly came unstuck when I did just that after a MVA. No no, I insisted at A&E, I don't have private health insurance. Then a few days later I asked to be transferred to a private hospital, nothing to do with the quality of care, which was excellent, but because there was a bug going round (staph?) and since I had open wounds I didn't want to catch it.

When the ward clerk raised her eyebrows, I just told the truth and nothing more was said. Phew!
Last time I went to hospital about 2 years ago, the triage nurse asked me the question and I said yes. She told me that even though I had insurance, it was up to me how I was treated - Medicare or private - and that they could not force me to use my insurance cover. Getting private care at a public hospital is silly anyway as you are not going to get better treatment
Old May 4th 2017, 1:11 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, never mention PHA if you are in A&E for this very reason.

I've never actually used my insurance in actual fact.

S
Old May 6th 2017, 4:18 am
Forum Regular

steven9818 is an unknown quantity at this point

So if you are here on a 457 is medicare alone sufficient for the visa health insurance requirements?
Old May 6th 2017, 7:10 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steven9818
So if you are here on a 457 is medicare alone sufficient for the visa health insurance requirements?
No. You are required to have private cover on a 457
Old May 6th 2017, 7:48 am
Forum Regular

steven9818 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dorothy
No. You are required to have private cover on a 457

Thank you, that is what I thought although reading this I am now wondering if I need insurance given that I am from the UK

https://www.457visacompared.com.au/4...ples/medicare/
Old May 6th 2017, 11:17 am
Still alive

Originally Posted by steven9818
Thank you, that is what I thought although reading this I am now wondering if I need insurance given that I am from the UK

https://www.457visacompared.com.au/4...ples/medicare/
Yes you do. Private insurance is a condition of the visa. And the reciprocal agreement is for emergency services only, not day to day health care.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.