Healthcare cover recommendations for pregnancy and birth

Healthcare cover recommendations for pregnancy and birth

Old Nov 9th 2007, 7:27 am
DMH
Forum Regular

DMH is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Healthcare cover recommendations for pregnancy and birth

Hi all,

We arrive in Perth on 1/1/08. My wife is due to give birth in early May.

My question is around healthcare and what we are covered for. As soon as we arrive, my wife will want to ensure she gets involved with the aussie maternity program to guide her through the pregnancy (checkups etc), but at that time I won't necessarily have got a job that has extra health cover. We are on PR visas so entitled to full medicare, but I wondered if there was potentially anything that can bite us?

My concerns are obviously around making sure my wife gets all the care she needs, but also that no nasty bills surprise us.

There is the potential that she may have to have a c-section (as with the last pregnancy) and I just would hate to get some nasty bill following the birth.

Basically, is all maternity/child-birth type care covered in what we get 'free' as part of being Perm Residents?

Any advice?

Many thanks !!!

Matt

(Di, Matt, Harrison)
Old Nov 9th 2007, 7:30 am
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Healthcare cover recommendations for pregnancy and birth

Originally Posted by DMH

Basically, is all maternity/child-birth type care covered in what we get 'free' as part of being Perm Residents?

)
Yep
Old Nov 9th 2007, 9:06 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

I arrived in Oz around 5wks pregnant as PR in NSW - insurance is not going to cover anything.

I first went to a Dr (as he did not bulk bill, there was about $50 charge with $32 medicare claim back) who referred me to a hospital. From there I had my regular check ups/bloods etc. As the hospital did not have its' own scanning dept, the first scan was private (pay, then claim some back on medicare), but for various reasons I was referred to a bigger hospital for later scans, that no payment was needed.
No exemptions for prescriptions or dental work, like the UK.
In public hospital there will be no charge should your OH need a c-sec.

Assuming no differences in other states, you get a choice if you want Dr to do regular check ups or a mixture - Dr costs depend, as before if they bulk bill.
The hospital did ante natal classes, but I did not go to any (was my 2nd child), but sure they would not have costed anything.

Once bubs is born, hospital should provide you with forms to claim baby grant (AFAIK now over $4k).
Old Nov 9th 2007, 9:36 am
Just Joined

Tori is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Healthcare cover recommendations for pregnancy and birth

As long as you go to a public hospital for all your care everything is covered and free.
Old Nov 9th 2007, 9:52 am
DMH
Forum Regular

Well this is slightly confusing!

If public hospitals are free, how do I ensure we are referred to one of those as opposed to being referred to a hospital that will charge?

Thanks

Matt

(Di, Matt, Harrison)
Old Nov 9th 2007, 10:13 am
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by DMH

If public hospitals are free, how do I ensure we are referred to one of those as opposed to being referred to a hospital that will charge?

Thanks

Matt

(Di, Matt, Harrison)
go to GP that bulk bils or pay $50 get $32 back he will ask you if you have insurance say no and that you wish to go public
Old Nov 9th 2007, 10:19 am
Niamh,Paul + 4 :)

Baby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by DMH

Thanks

Matt

(Di, Matt, Harrison)
hi as far as im aware check out which public hospitals are close to you and go to your doc you need to get a letter to book into the hospital you should be able to chose the hospital you go to!
http://www.bubhub.com.au/serviceshospitals.php

that link has all the information on hospitals in Australia and how to book in im planning ahead for when we move!

if your wife wants to talk to some one about having a vbac i had a c section on my first boy and have had my other two my self so if she wants to ask me any thing PM me

Good luck with it all Niamh
Old Nov 9th 2007, 12:22 pm
DMH
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Baby75
hi as far as im aware check out which public hospitals are close to you and go to your doc you need to get a letter to book into the hospital you should be able to chose the hospital you go to!
http://www.bubhub.com.au/serviceshospitals.php

that link has all the information on hospitals in Australia and how to book in im planning ahead for when we move!

if your wife wants to talk to some one about having a vbac i had a c section on my first boy and have had my other two my self so if she wants to ask me any thing PM me

Good luck with it all Niamh
Brill. Thanks All !!!
Old Nov 9th 2007, 7:29 pm
Just Joined

Tori is an unknown quantity at this point

Basically all I had to do was call the hospital and make an appointment to be booked in.All the care was done by the hospital doctors and midwifes depending on which care you choose.I also had a vbac.
Hope this helps.
Old Nov 10th 2007, 12:14 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Medicare will cover it.... the only benefit of having private insurance is you get a private hospital with your own room and a specific Dr to deliver the baby (assuming of course he isnt on holiday!)

I went private, it was nice having my own room and the Dr I'd seen for my pregnancy check ups BUT once I got home there was no support until the CHN came a week later... if I'd gone to the public hospital a midwife would have visited me at home for the first few days.
Old Nov 10th 2007, 8:24 am
Forum Regular

SenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really nice

Originally Posted by DMH
Hi all,

We arrive in Perth on 1/1/08. My wife is due to give birth in early May.

My question is around healthcare and what we are covered for. As soon as we arrive, my wife will want to ensure she gets involved with the aussie maternity program to guide her through the pregnancy (checkups etc), but at that time I won't necessarily have got a job that has extra health cover. We are on PR visas so entitled to full medicare, but I wondered if there was potentially anything that can bite us?

My concerns are obviously around making sure my wife gets all the care she needs, but also that no nasty bills surprise us.

There is the potential that she may have to have a c-section (as with the last pregnancy) and I just would hate to get some nasty bill following the birth.

Any advice?

Many thanks !!!

Matt

(Di, Matt, Harrison)
Hiya!

Not sure about Perth but not long had a baby in NSW. My options were:

1. See Obstetrician privately throughout pregnancy for all checkups, pay for all, give birth in public or private hospital with said obs. Lots of money. Plus private hospitals usually don't have special care facilities and if the shit hit's the fan you'll be transferred to public with said facilities anyway. I wanted them nearby just in case.

2. Share care between GP and midwives, pay for GP but claim back medicare share of fee. My Gp charges $57 normal get back about $35. Public hospital, under consultant but only see them if a problem.

3. Under care of midwives only, all free, public hospital, under consultant but only see them if a problem.

I went for 3, not because free but because midwives view birth as a natural process and research shows more likely to have normal birth.

Doc's more into medical model and more likely to intervene and intervene earlier. Again this is proven by research. Admit can't reel it off but am an RN and did midwifery as part of the training and remember this clearly. True for all Western Contries you'll find I think.

I paid only for some extra scans to the normal (there were some probs, all good in the end) and only the diff between the medicare fee and the fee charged. All were done in private practice although I was under the care of midwives at the public hospital. Blood tests all free.

Hope this helps. Think you're paying for the room and the food with private. Hopefully won't need to stay in long anyway though in OZ they like you to. I didn't, C section, home on third day. Unlike UK no midwife visits for a month followed by health visitor. Here in NSW it's daily for up to 1 week post birth (not discharge from hospital) and then under the care of the child & family health nurses who do the checkups and run the baby clinics. You go to then usually but they do do home visits if you can't. CFH nurses attached to health centres, they also do immunisations which are also free, though you can pay your GP to do them if you prefer.

Word of warning, if anything wrong, paeditrician will follow up after but will charge per visit, again pay diff between medicare and actual fee. My baby needed physio and had this free but my friend paid for same service as noone told her she could get this public even though she delivered in the same public hospital as me (diff consultant).

Hope this helps, good luck with the move and the birth,

Jo xx